Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A sunvisor install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smilin Jack, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I got the top wood in my Model A today and will be ready to put the sunvisor on soon. Now, Should I go with the original way of installing it or should I weld it and smooth up the joint? What have most of you done?

[​IMG]

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Weld the visor in, plus do a full sheet metal roof IMHO.
    A search will find you a number of roof projects posted here.

3. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I welded in the visor on my now sold model A. It gave it more support and I was able to blend it into the astro van roof I used

Attached Files:

4. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I gave the metal roof a lot of thought but I got my heart set on a vinyl roof. The car's gonna be cream orange and the black roof insert should look good. I do think I'll weld and smooth the sunvisor.

5. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Motoandy, your roof and visor sure looks good.

6. Nitro Breath

Nitro Breath
    BANNED
    from Eugene, OR

I prefer welded; makes for a more solid, squeak and leak-free roof.

Attached Files:

7. Canuck

Canuck

Just a newbie at doing this.

My visor will be nailed in as per original, side pieces and rear of body nailed to the wood also. Steel insert tack welded every couple of inches all the way around the 4 sides on the inside of the raised bead. Metal then covered with closed cell foam and vinyl installed as original using a seam sealer along the edge with aluminum moldings around the edge. Modern sealers should make it totally waterproof. Just not sure yet on gluing the foam to the roof and the vinyl to the foam.

Finished appearance should be like original style with no ballooning on the highway and no sagging between the bows.

If anyone has done this and sees a problem with this method, please let us know.

PS this is on a 30 coupe, 28-29 are different.

Canuck

8. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

DONT WELD IT!!! Your grandkids will have a harder time rebuilding the roof wood 80 years from now than you are now.

Remember we're just the Current Caretakers of these cars.

9. Most all visors mounted in the stock manner start vibrating and getting noisy over 200mph, well 50-60mph anyway. They need a bracket made to support the middle and stop it from flexing.

10. I wanted to go retro with mine, vinyl roof and all. I rebuilt all the wood for the roof just as you did and then I nailed all the side and back roof pieces to it just as original. I welded the visor on and nailed it to the header. I welded my visor on to add some stiffness to the roof and eliminate that little seam. I skinned the roof with Baltic plywood. After I get the car painted I will glue a thin pad on the roof and then add the vinyl , seam sealer and hide'em strip.
    After building a '40 Ford, I find that the model a was made of a lot of small pieces bolted and nailed together. It is a lot more crude. Welding in and finishing the visor helps a little.
    Your new woodwork looks great BTW

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

You mean something like this that I did for my Model T visor;

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610054

Attached Files:

12. flathead okie

flathead okie

Hot Rods rattle, squeak, vibrate. :D

13. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Anyone ever louver their visor to take some of the air pressure off as you go down the road ?

14. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yes, but felt I gained very little anything much at all.
    That is way in my pic a couple of posts back I have tried cut outs instead.
    Car not running yet so not sure if it will be any better that way.

Attached Files:

15. flthd31

flthd31

I agree with mataconcepts for the same reson. It can be removed easily later.
    I've had one on a 31 coupe for 14 years and it's rock solid as the day I nailed it down and has never leaked a drop. New wood and fresh nails will get you thru your lifetime. Your car is a 30-31...those visors stay put and don't vibrate when there put on right.

16. http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a507/sidevalve8ba/CIMG1021_zps9911cf7d.jpg[/IMG

[SIZE="3"]This is not a good angle to see the visor but mine has been there for thirty years and it is not welded and it does not vibrate or squeak. Replacing the wood would be a tough job if[IMG]http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a507/sidevalve8ba/CIMG1021_zps9911cf7d.jpg it were welded.[/SIZE]]

17. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Yup. From the front view, the visor has an arch to it which gives it streghenth

18. bent metal

bent metal

I'd weld it on, to a Walden roof insert and have him install a bead in the roof. That makes it look like it has a material insert when painted black.

19. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

You guys that welded in your roofs did you still use all the wood inserts? I havent gotten that far on mine yet but I am leaning towards the metal roof already snagged a donor.

20. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Metal Roofs make me question if the car if Glass.

21. white64

white64
    from Maine

My visor is welded, and I was split between going with a metal or vinyl insert ( and then split if it was going to be white or black. But after reading this I'm leaning heavily towards the black vinyl (I think the wood, wire and cloth, has a great look to it from the interior, sortah screams hot rod ambiance... along with body squeaks, the sounds and smell of a flathhead. Sortah like why lobster tastes better sitting on a wharf listening to waves and fighting off seagulls (it's a Maine thing))

22. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

White64, I think you nailed it.

23. Bluedot

Bluedot

Nope - says he welded it. ;)