Register now to get rid of these ads!

K.S. Pittman being inducted into the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ME.GASSER, Mar 14, 2013.

1. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tonight in Gainsville Florida K.S. Pittman will be inducted into the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame. The presenter will be Greg Sharp who is the curator of the NHRA Museum in Pomona California. Accepting on behalf of K.S. will be his wonderful wife LaVaun. Congratulations to K.S. and his family
    Gasser Girl

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Fenders

Fenders

He the guy invented my steering arm?

4. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Wanda I was talking to Lavaun she told me that is so cool !!!! she is very proud so Glad for them

Trouble

5. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trouble,
    K.S. is the only member of the S&S Team that i never got to meet. I'm sure he was as wonderful as the rest of them.

6. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's something you don't see very often both of K.S.'s cars in the same shot.[​IMG]

7. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's K.S.'s car being loaded on the USS United States to make the trip over seas to race. The S&S Race Team told me that he was very nervous watching this.[​IMG]

8. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

A well deserved inductee!

9. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

I'm so happy K.S. is finally getting the recognition he deserves.

[​IMG]

10. beegator

beegator

What wonderful photos and a great thread. I was at the track today and Rocky & crew had loaded the tribute car into the trailer (to be on display) and they were heading to the banquet. :) I hope someone takes photos of the ceremony. It is well deserved.

11. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Its about time!! glad to have meet him at the 1994 World Gasser championships in Denver, we spent some time there with him and Bob Beezer, great guys!! so many storys!! well deserved.
    heres a pic of him and his new car at the time:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  12. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Wanda he was a Good person as are all the S&S people Jim tells me thing from back in the day He was a class act

This was at the Willys home run in 2002 it rained hard as you can tell by our wet head look :D He is a true hero of the sport

T

Attached Files:

13. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Barbara Hamilton sent me a picture from the banquet lastnight i will call her today and see if she took anymore.

14. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with that Bob.

15. I had the pleasure of spending time with K.S. not long before he died. He came to the senior center that I went to. He brought in his scrap books and we spent hours looking at old photos and talking about his days drag racing, especially against Ohio George. He was always fired up when he talked about racing George. I have the model of his car, the 33. His wife is truly a great woman. She looked after him and talked about him with passion. Great people in my eyes.
    Later,
    Dick

16. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the Rocky Pironne built K.S. Pittman tribute car on display at the banquet last night. I will have some more pictures tonight.[​IMG]

17. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Barbara Hamilton-Advey and her husband Dick at the banquet.[​IMG]

18. CalGasser

CalGasser

Thanks for the heads up Wanda! This story should go into Gasser Magazine and other publications - maybe you can send Ernest some info and pix? Great that KS is being honored! Good on Lavaun to have the honor of receiving the award, she deserves it and a great lady! I'm so impressed that Rocky takes the time and energy to trailer the car all the way to the banquet in his honor. As you know, he did the same thing at KS's memorial in Texas - he's my hero! Also great to see a picture of Barb & Dick, thanks for posting! Vic

19. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your welcome Vic. Yes that is a good idea about getting hold of Ernest. I will do that today.
    Wanda
    Are you coming East at all this year?

20. oj

oj

A well deserverd accolade, he did so much for this sport. I wonder if people knew that he raced boats as well? A good friend remembers K.S.' twinturbo hemis' boost gage with the needle wrapped around the 30psi peg. That pretty well sums up what he was all about, don't it.
    Thanks, Wanda, for posting this. I wish we could get a peek at his scrap book.

21. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OJ,
    I have seen that scrap book and let me tell you it's something that you will never forget. LaVaun brought it to one of the drag meets and let us all look at it. All i can say is WOW.

22. CalGasser

CalGasser

No Wanda, I don't have any plans for the East Coast this year - though I would like to as I had a great time when I was there hanging with you folks. Everyone's so nice and accomodating, also some great machines too! How about coming out West? Please give my regards to Larry. Vic

23. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We would really like to make it to one of the meets out there sometime.

24. rfraze

rfraze

WELL DESERVED, IS RIGHT!! Johnny Rocca told me the story about when he restored the red 41 and brought it out to CAL. He rolled it out in the ALLEY where the boat shop was and someone said, "YOU'RE THAT K.S. PITTMAN!?!?!" Before long, they were touring the country again in "The Last Great Shootout".
    Vince DuFour showed a pic of his last car at Denver, where he actually ran it. Here's another shot of it from the front, at (looks like) Pomona. I remember him being part of the promo for the upcoming Hot Rod Reunion. (First one that is, which they planned as a one-time-only get together) In Gasser Gossip #28 Feb/Mar '93 the new Fiberglass Trends body is shown before paint following a Mail Bag article thanking John Edwards, Jack Wineland, Alan Johnson, and Dan Martin for helping this car come together.
    Thanks KS, LaVaun, AND everyone who helped you over the years!! Rob Frazier

Attached Files:

• 423.jpg
      423.jpg
      File size:
      55.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  25. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

Sunday at the track Fred Bear was in the left lane, car got over towards the wall, he tried to bring it back and rotated around on him and sent him into the wall in the other lane. Shame, but cars can be fixed.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

26. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I was watching that live and was sure glad to see Fred get out under his own power. Looked like he had his bell rung though. I'll bet Rocky and crew will have that car fixed in no time. Good to see Dave Hales getting Fred into staging too. Those S&S guys are everywhere...:D

27. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

I'm glad to see Freddy walk away from what could of been a very bad deal. Cars are replaceable, Fred isn't! If this was the original K.S. car Fred wouldn't be with us today. People may bitch about NHRA and their safety program, but the seat belts and roll cage saved his life. The car is busted and bent, but will be put back together with a lot of love and sweat. The 33 is on its way from Florida and we're already setting up a strategy to have her ready for Thompson at the end of May. Freddy will do the body while the Pirrone and Ellershaw team of dedicated craftsmen and women will tackle the chassis and driveline repairs.

28. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rocky,
    It sure scared me when i heard about this but with the safety that you put into your cars i knew Freddy would be okay. Also Rocky thank you for being the person that you are and making Freddy feel better about the car.

29. beegator

beegator