Register now to get rid of these ads!

more poor quality parts , speedway again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skidmarks, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

This is an old thread, but I would have to agree with that. I have seen plenty of absolute garbage built by US companies.

As far as Speedway goes, I have bought plenty from them and never been disappointed. They ship fast and have a lot of what you need in one place.

If you look at what you are buying you can see Speedway does sell name brand stuff too.

2. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

i was pissed off about speedway earlier this evening but decided to just let it go until now when i signed online and saw someone else brought my thread back up about the wheel cylinder .
    ive been waiting almost 6 months for my replacement wheel cylinder and i call about once and week and get the same lame answer. yes they sell cheap shit. they raved about the stainless steel lined wheel cylinders and i gave them a shot. if i had just bough them from napa my problem would have been solved 6 months ago but i didnt/

who else is waiting on the big ship from china to deliver them a so called back ordered wheel cylinder. i sorta feel now that they are just fucking with me because i raised so much hell after the way the first 3 telephone experts blew me off.

i laughed the other day when a guy brought me some parts and they were in a new speedway bulk box they ship stuff in through UPS for his car . it had speedway on all sides of the box in big purple letter along with "MADE IN THE USA!!!" yeah right, maybe the box was but all the parts inside were import. way to go speedy bill

3. terry bosman

terry bosman

got a complete 4" drop axle for my model a. know instruction. know help from the so call tech. will not order from them again. terry

4. Well.... I almost hate to say it..... I've had good service and satisfactory products from Speedway. My only gripe is that they only do one method of international shipping... the most expensive kind. Heavy items can cost more than double with shipping added. Most suppliers are the same unfortunately, but one or two will look at shipping options.

5. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

stupid question, but did you pop the wheel cylinder open and clean and lube the cups with fluid before you installed it? if it got knocked around in the package and the cups were dry it could have been in crooked, and then when you went to put pressure on it the fluid went flying and the cup was sitting all cockeyed.

6. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

funny this thread came up. i have not bought anything from them since i got the replacement part 8 months after the issue.

after all the phone calls and waiting, they finally admitted there was a issue with the bore size of the wheel cylinders. the thing that got me so pissed off in the begining was the asshole customer service prick, once i got past him it was just waiting and waiting. wish i got his name but oh well.

Mac offers USA made ones. as for the gift card they gave me for 8 months of wasted time. i gave it to a freind

no more hard feeling speedy bill, i just dont buy from you anymore. yes, i know there are lots of people that are happy with them

7. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

it wasnt a cocked cup , the brakes built pressure and blead out fine, then it was brake fluid running out of the brake drum.

i just did a complete brake job on a 37 with juice brakes. same issue. everything new and one of the wheel cylinders leaked . this was done with customer supplied parts. gues what, all but one wheel cylinder was USA and it was the china wheel cylinder leaking right out of the box.

the ching chong chang wheel cylinder corporation needs to check they're tooling. thats is if they care

8. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

junk is junk .it comes from all over the place.i have gotten some bad stuff from them,but mostly everythings been good.its hard to find some things you need at all.dont even get me started on how much the prices for clapped out original shit is.ford juice brakes?yeah i love em but come on are they really worth so much?drum brakes for like 700.00?now even the f1 brakes are getting out of sight.costs alot to be cool i guess.

9. Yeah they sent me cracked stainless headers. Sucks.

10. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

fads and style have always cost money :) and your right- junk is junk

11. Dont use their cheap ass master cylinders!!!!:(

12. jay7262

jay7262

Not to bash on Speedway, they do have a nice catalog, but I give all my business to Honest Charlies and the P/J guys, + anytime I have a question I can pick up the phone and call and the good 'ol boys in Tenn. They do not hesitate to answer any questions, will exchange parts (if not painted), and deliver to shows, they stand behind their parts even if they are China made.

13. jipp

jipp

checking out there webpage, they have a lot of products and prices seem fair.. will give them a try this winter.
    chris.

14. bamabucket

bamabucket

I should be watching this board more closely - I bought a cheap ass master cylinder from Speedway and it has worked OK for two years. It could have been made in China, but so far so good.

15. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

If you knowingly buy stuff made in China don't whine about it. Buy American, the job you save might be your own.

16. dlotraf

dlotraf

Problem is last year it was made in USA and NOW it's China. A lot of parts are almost impossible to buy American Made, unless you can find real NOS parts. Even that has gone to heck, I have gotten a few, and seen more supposedly NOS, that are just used parts in the original box they were replaced with. Dorman, Accel, Mallory, Bendix, AC Delco, Made in China. About a year ago Mallory Blaster coils were made in Mexico, now China. And the list could go on and on. Look on the brite side........... we are making some of the Jap junk........... And it wouldn't suprise me if they didn't say damed American Junk....:D

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  17. swimeasy

swimeasy

They do a good job at what they do.They know there demographic and put out products to that particular group at a price that years of doing business dictates. They handle problems well and I believe that is why they have been around for so long. If you can afford high end parts retailers, then shop with them, but you will pay a higher price-simple! (call them-I bet they will replace ant faulty parts)

18. Lucky3

Lucky3

Nuff said x2 !

19. Racrdad

Racrdad

I always wonder how these people that bitch about Speedway and china parts live a normal life. Its pretty hard to get dressed everyday without wearing some article of clothing made overseas. Look in your house at how much stuff comes from overseas. Heck, look in your panty at your food and you might be suprised how much of it comes from overseas. Your toothbrush? toothpaste? If you are going to be holier than thou about hot rod parts make sure you arent being a hypocrit in others areas of your life.

20. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

yeap and everyone has an oppinion.

the way i have eliminated future problems is buying as much that i can local through my autoparts supplier. that way if there is a problem, i dont have to wait 8 months for a wheel cylinder. its not just speedway i quit buying from , if it available local and might cost alittle more, i buy it local. then if there is a problem i dont have to deal with some prick on a telephone that puts me on hold for a half hour.

as far as buying something NOT made in china, thats a joke in itself. you could turn this thread into a political debate.

21. 32jackson

32jackson

I never got anything from speedway I was happy with I would order brake parts from Mac's antique ford parts nothing from Speedway

22. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ordered, among some other things, some 3/16" brake line fittings. The hex on the damn things was metric! I went to NAPA and bought ones with 3/8" hex. I'm not about to put metric-headed fasteners on my '36.

23. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

The Chinese manufacturing plants know very little about metallurgy or strength of materials. I think that has be stated on this forum. If you are buying safety related parts
    such as brakes, steering or suspension stay away from Chinese made parts as you are
    taking your life in your on hands.

24. firingorder1

firingorder1

I reckon people could build their cars in half the time if saving a buck didn't take priority. But I still can't figure why people people buy Chinese shit and then complain. What did you expect? $500 engineering and quality for $5. P.T. Barnum was right.

25. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

I learned my leason and haven't bought anything from them since I started this thread a few years ago. the bs wasn't just the wheel cylinder it was also the telephone jockey

It was also a simple brake job not a project from scratch that turned into a mess and tied up a bay in the garage before they finally admited that there were issues with the wheel cylinders and then everything was out of stock

26. spaner

spaner
    from australia

only bought 1 time with them when on holidays 4 yrs ago. gor 4 things took 3 thought that 1 of my friends hide it phoned them up week later, they said you will find a cheque in the mail. 3 weeks later when i arrived home i had received the cheque good service to me but parts should fit.

27. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

I'm 68 years old and for as long as I can remember, aftermarket parts were, at best, marginal compared to the OEM parts. I was reworking aftermarket parts in the 1960's to make them fit and to make them work. If you buy your parts where a really good professional mechanic buys his parts you won't have many problems... Professional mechanics with good reputations have learned that poor quality products cost them money, time, and customer good will so they don't use them because they can't afford to.

28. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

'50 Merc hubcap. Looks good but made in China, from thin metal that dents like tinfoil. Marked as 11 1/4" ID, was really 11". They did change the ad after I told them. pigpen
    [​IMG]

29. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

So if the wheel cylinder was made in the USA, and you still forgot to pull the wheel cylinder apart to clean it with brake fluid before you installed it, can you blame yourself then? I had regular cylinders from speedway and i forgot to clean and lube them, they leaked because im an idiot. Five years and still going.

Why cant people just take responsibility for their stupid decisions. Ya'll lose your money at county fair to a bunch of two bit carnies and snake oil sales men. Whats wrong with america isnt always the sellers of the chinease shit. But the buyers that buy bad crap and THEN return it to the american company that then loses money on the chinese shit YOU wanted to save a crappy dollar on. You got your money back, the chinese got thier money, american vendor is screwed.

30. 1fiddy handyman

1fiddy handyman
    from n.e. ohio

bought a trans. crossmember. product was ok with slight modificaton. why do they send catalogs of the same s**t every other month?