Register now to get rid of these ads!

REAL Wheelstander underconstruction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemiwheelstand, Sep 30, 2012.

1. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

There is a write-up on the original Little Red Wagon in HOT ROD Feb 2013 isse. Didn't know it started as a Chrysler sponsored drag racer. But I sure remember seeing wheel standers like it that followed.... Saw one get squirrley and hit the guard rail at S.I.R. (Seattle International Raceway) in the '70's.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. License it and put it on the street!!!.........man would that give the cops a fit....

3. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

Could you by chance take a picture of the pivot for the swing arm the drive train rides on?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

Subscribed.

5. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

6. Chris, I dunno' 'bout PA, but my local steel shop always has 4'x8' sheets of regular type stainless n' aluminum...

http://www.potomacsteel.com/index.html

Cool build, too.

7. Hi Chris,

Have you considered using a roof panel from a full size van? They have a similar profile as a pickup bed and would likely be thinner and lighter.

Bill

8. Some one have a deep throat bead roller and steps in your area? Just make one. 16ga would be thick enough I would think.

9. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello everyone ,it has been a while.I have been working on the truck and progess is being made.I am just getting over being sick for almost a week and still going to work every day took alot out of me so I have not touched it since last Sunday.
    As for the bed floor I made a decision and bought two 24''x51'' replacemet bed panels for a 70s blazer,cut it to size and welded down the middle.Looks like it was always there.And yes I hope to get out there and take a few pics and to the gentlman who would like a pic of the subframe mount I will take one of that also.
    Chris

10. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chris...Awesome work man!

Always loved the wheel standers...(Mostly Mopars!)

R U gonna paint it red?

Aloha Tommy

11. BobG

BobG

You may want to reconsider using different front wheels and heavier spindles, The mag American 5 spokes that you have look like their P&S Anglia spindle mount.
    Coming down after a wheelstand may be a little much for them.
    The P&S spindle isn't very big and the mag Americans will crack if you come down a little too hard.
    I cracked the bead area on both front 5 spokes and bent one spindle on my Funny Car after a wheelstand.. and I doubt my F/C weighed as much as your A100.

You'll notice most wheelstanders use a lug nut style front wheel meaning their using a hub and an OEM larger style spindle.
    I'd just hate to see you have a problem with such a cool truck...
    I have a soft spot for the A100 wheelstanders.
    The first time I ever went to a Drag Strip in the mid 60's the Little Red Wagon was there and was a brand new deal... I was hooked ever since.

12. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello BobG,If you have read the entire post you will find that this has been brought up to me before.And I will assure I have no doubts about running them.( see pic of Chuck Pooles truck)
    FYI: the entire front end of the truck is ALL a100,axle,spindles,steering arms and springs,all built by Chrysler 50 years ago,springs are brand new.Funnys do not ususally have front suspension any more and early,funnys had very little, the dodge has 10 inches of travel in the front.
    The wheels I have are NOT for an angla spindle they are the larger size.The only mods to the OEM spindles were to make where the outer bearing rides, was to shorten the spindle 3/8 of an inch,add more threads and a new cotter hole. the outer bearing is the stock a100 bearing set,and the inner is from a 69 camero front inner bearing race and seal. I have done all of my homework and can read a caliper.So I do understand your concern,I still have no issues with them.Also the bare wheel weighs less than the stock hub.
    Chris

13. As a kid my mom and I had four 64 ford econoline vans!! One of which was a custom with a 351 mid mounted engine!! It was cool your truck looks insane!!!!

14. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

15. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello once again, here are 2 pics since I did nothing to it this weekend as I am really feeling better and do not want ruin that.
    First is the bed floor, the seem in the middle will be welded and smoothed and still have to drill holes for the chute mount,spacers welded underneath under center 2 ribs. The second is of the subframe mount on the left side, all brackets are of 1/4 inch steel,pivot bolts are 1 inch dia. Subframe is 1/8'' wall 2x3 steel tubing,pivot holes are 1'' ,sleeved and have 1/4'' plates welded to each side and on top.
    Chris

Attached Files:

moval57wagon likes this.
  16. Great fab skills .

17. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Nice welding skills, Thanks for the update Tim Jones

18. ac duster

ac duster

cool project good luck will be looking for updates

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man I gotta follow this one! Subscribed!

20. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Im not sure on the H.A.M.B. drags but the N.H.R.A. Has quite a test before you get a wheel stander lisence. Bill Golden was grandfathered (NO BRAINER) ., But I met Richie Travers in the 90s. He drove the DODGE MATERIAL A-100 wheel stander back then. It took him a few years and other "newbees" wheelstanders to get all the qualfications to compete. Maverick once told me that most wheelstanders today only go up half way,. He would scrape the tailgate! Hemiwheelstand your front end "looks" cool. But not for wheelstanding. LRW#2 Had a lot of holes cut to make the truck lighter. Bill told me he's two inches shorter now after he crashed that truck. From what I remember he ran a somewhat stock axle. The last time I stopped in to see Bill he had started to build another LRW., But that was shortly before he retired. I looked at your trucks body mods in the pic's. They look good! Made me wonder where Maverick's LRW that never got finished...........................

21. cayager

cayager

very cool indeed

22. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello,thank you for all of the nice comments ,but to any body reading ,the front end stays as is.Forged steel I beam axle made by Chrysler with some holes in it,big deal.Hemi Under Glass,Little Red Wagon both used hollowed out axles for over 40 years no front end problem. Good Day Chris

23. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello again,I forgot I had this pic,but this is the inspiration behind me using the mag spindle mounts and the image has never lift my mind. Chuck Poole, 1970s,American Racing spindle mounts, definatelly over 100mph,and that is an A100 front axle
    Chris

Attached Files:

• th.jpg
      th.jpg
      File size:
      10.2 KB
      Views:
  24. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

awesome build, thanks for educating us on the way these thing are designed. I for one, love the close up pics of the rear suspension/ motor set up and never new they had a pivot point.

as far as people questioning your axle and wheels, just keep on keepin on. after 100 or so wheelie landings they'll catch on.

keep up the great work and the updates.

george

25. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

26. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Nice to see something different for a change! Very cool, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

27. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

28. Two thumbs up!

Do you need to move the oil pickup to the back of the pan for the trans?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  29. oldolds

oldolds

I believe this gentleman has done his homework on building and license requirements.
    I know he has had a few conversations with Mr Golden. I also know he has touched a LRW on more than one occasion. This is a one man part time project. You have no idea the hours into this project. And it's a good thing that we have digital photography, because he would have more invested in pictures than a lot of guys have in their cars