Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects got a 49 hudson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peter schmidt, Mar 13, 2013.

1. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Ive been driving by this car for allmost 2 years and now i finally own it. i sold my packard and went strait to make an offer the next day its a 49 commadore 8 that was on the road running a built bbc with two fours and a turbo 400 its been sitting so everything needs gone thru the interior is trashed but the body is pretty solid only has a couple dents and the door bottoms need work. im dropping of a trans im selling to buy the 283 it will be running for now hopefully i can run a 330 desoto hemi i can get in the future. the car is clipped wish it wasent but oh well disc brakes are allways good but they did a decent job so im not worried. it was a bitch unloading last nite by myself the brakes are sticking. heres a pic. more soon.
    [​IMG]
    i allready traded into a set of 53 chevy wheels and have a nice set of whitewalls and 53 olds or buick caps i forget what they are to replace the s10 14s on it now. i cant wait to get this one cruzing.

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Big CONGRATS, Pete! IMO, the Hudson step-downs are cooler than Mercs (or even a baby Lincoln). Since the original eight is gone, I also congratulate you on your choice of a hi-deck Desoto Hemi!

YOU, sir, are a man who seems to know what he wants!

3. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Thanks i cant wait to get it cruzing the desoto is going to have to wait til next winter but the 283 will do till then.

4. Heart Of Texas

Heart Of Texas
    from TX

Thanks for sharing your Hudson!
    50+ years driving Hudsons ... [​IMG]

5. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Heres a couple picks of the car and the motor i just picked up. Put the 53 chevy wheels on that i traded a set of hubcaps for. Looks alot better i think. going to paint tge motor gold and get a set of fiined valve covers just to dress it up a bit. Hopefully i can gut the interior tomorrow and get the motir painted up and dropped in over the weekend i still need to find a carb tho.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Also got my new 4 inch peep mirrors in today only 4 days after ordering. Need to get a set of stock springs for the front those big block springs make it look like a gasser.

7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Congrats on the HUDSON love the dash's in those cars! My brother has a 49 drop top very FUN cars those HUDSON'S are!

8. jazz1

jazz1

Nice car but consider a 4" convex,, a regular 4" peep leaves you with a nasty blind spot in a vehicle such as yours...

9. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

10. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Got the interior gutted never seen so many mice nests anyone know a place that sells carpet or headliner? Also got the motor scrubbed down and painted still needs another coat but i like it. need to replace those valve covers tho.
    [​IMG]

11. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

kanter sells carpet and headliner- little pricey though. there is also at least one person in the hudson club that sells carpets. nice car, by the way! good choice of color since several of the original hudson engines were gold.

12. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I found a flex plate that i needed to get this thing in the car now i just need to find the motor mount stands that bolt to the motor and then onto the frame mounts cant even find a place to order them there 82-87 monte carlo i believe thats what the frame clip is. my buddy gave me an old crusty holley 4 barrel im going to see if i can get wotking right and hopefully run. got to drop and clean the tank this week and im going to make up some 3 inch blocks and lower the rear after i get that done. really want to drive it to jalopy showdown this year so thats my goal.

13. raidmagic

raidmagic

Great looking car. I have a 49 too keep us updated on your progress

14. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Degreased and painted the frame before i drop the motor in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its def not show quality but i think it looks alot better. just need to find these stupid motir mount plates brakets stands whatever there called and i can drop the engine in so if anyone has a set please let me know. they look like this
    [​IMG] they came on g body cars

15. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Found a set of mounts after looking forever thanks to the hambers that offered up there's. If it stops raining I'm going to try to drop the motor in this week. picked up all the hardware at lowes today I need to bolt it all together. The 4 barrel my buddy gave me is a Holley 390cfm carb will this be to small for my 283? The 283 is said to be .030 over and has an edelbrock intake and is running thru stock 1965 manifolds and 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust. I'll prob start a thread on it so maybe more people will see it

16. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Awesome project!

17. Kerry67

Kerry67

18. teddyp

teddyp

very cool car and the sbc,s should pull it around nice enjoy

19. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Got a set of cal custom valve cover yesterday i think i might paint the spaces between the fins gold. started to fit all the brackets ect to the motor glad i did the motor mounts hit the manifolds just enought to be a pain im going to try to try to grind the tops a little they should fit. the alternator now hits the valve cover so i got to get a longer belt for it and im sure the valve covers are gona leak at the fronts because the cork gasket i can wiggle wile its tightened down. oh well i cant afford new gaskets right now i may just use some gasket maker or something. i had to weld a bolt onto the manifold because the stud hole was broke in half hopefully i can find a replacement before it breaks again. its got the power steering and alt braket built into it or id just use my ramhorn style ones
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Got the motor mounts bolted on the motor and the rebuild kit for the carb and the helicoil kit i need to fix my valvecover bolt hole are waiting at the post office put new exhaust studs in an of course the last one broke so i got to try and get that out. went to the swapmeet today and picked up a couple small things u bolts for drop blocks valve cover breathers fuel filter nothing to big but ran into a buddy whos got a set of stock monte carlo springs i need to get rid of the gasser stance it has right now the big block springs a no motor in it.

21. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Whats the brand of the gold paint on your engine?

22. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I have to check tomorrow got it from advanced auto its eaither duplicolor or vht something like that.

23. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Got the valvecover bolt helicoiled worked out perfect also got the broken stud out of the manifold. heres some pics. the engine paint is vht metalic gold.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    going to start tearing apart and cleaning the hooley its pretty bad looking

24. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Got the motor and trans bolted together and dropped in i think it looks great fits allmost perfect need to relieve the frame about 3/8 inch for the fuel pump its just hitting the crossmember. also need to find a place that sells the (belled out exhaust ends that bolt to the manifolds) turndowns? Dont know if there called that with manifolds or not? So i can weld up the exhaust. got the hood bolted down havent really got it working good yet tho need to get the carb rebuilt or find a new one so i can get her fired up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Need to make up some nice inner fenders to protect it from that jalopy showdown mud.

26. cmbrucew

cmbrucew
    from Socal

Peter

You can swap somebody carbs. The flathead ford guys are always looking for those 390 cfm holleys. They go for $300.00 plus on ebay. maybe you can get a quadrajet
    for your sbc. You want 600 to 650 cfm.

Bruce

Works good
    Lasts long time

27. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Progress has been slow on this working two jobs and having a two year old the other half in school dont give me much free time. I did manage to build loering blocks and install them in the rear along with air shocks. i also got the trans crossnember fixed bought a radiator ignition switch mustang gas tank(still need to install and get sending unit) just got a new holley 600 carb i traded into the butterflys on the 390 were sticking. i wired up a harness just to fire it up but sounded good. got a new wire harness of ebay today. hopefully ill have more pics soon of it on the road.

28. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Got the front brakes all done today except the hoses the washers i have were to small got new fuel line and a harness in the mail the other day so im waiting to have time to run those coming together slowly.

29. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Been to long but finally got to take this thing for a drive around town yesterday. So much fun she still has some bugs to work out but needs wired still but the brakes steering and everything seemed to work perfect. Can't wait to get her tagged and tunned up and crude for the summer so I can do bodywork this winter

30. Damn, thats cars longer than my 56 buick wagon.lol.Bruce.