Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Shots from the Barris Archive...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Evel, Feb 3, 2013.

1. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

"I just am curious. My impression has always been that the great Barris cars were all due to the designs of Sam Barris, Bill Hines as well as the other guys working there"...."Are there any cars that He designed or built himself that qualify him as "king"?"...."I simply want to know more about what he contributed to the great EARLY Barris customs that I am a fan of."

I'd agree that Sam was the key designer and craftsman behind some of the best and most famous Kustoms to come out of the Barris Bros shop. And alot of really great customizers and painters came out of that shop too, after learning and honing their skills. I'm sure besides Sam, George had alot to do with that.

And wasn't it George who started the Barris shop, after working with the early customizers in the Sacramento area, before Sam came to work there after leaving the service? I'm just going by memory from countless things I've read through the years.

I'm not a fan of most of the later stuff that he did, but it seems to me, that George was highly intrumental in turning out some of the best Kustoms of the 40's and 50's.

2. George Barris has done a ton for the custom scene, look forward to the book!

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I respect Mr. Barris for the history that he has created. We are just posers? I hope to get the book and I am sure Piero can get it signed for me. A toast to you George.

4. grim

grim

Very kool shots. Thank you, for hard work, man. The payoff's all pleasure.

5. I love threads like this. I appreciate all of these photos. It is always a treat to see new pics from the past. Thanks for taking the time to share.:D

6. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Piero, I am SO looking forward to getting this book - let us know when we can start ordering it. And please tell Brett that Chris Brame said hello - hope to get back and see him soon.

7. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

8. More pics please

9. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Sorry everyone... Been super busy on Mad Fabrcators Volume 7 trying to get it into the repicators by next week.. so I have had no time to pull pics.. I'll be back on it once I meet my deadline... Thanks!

10. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

So now that I got my DVD's done I can get back to posting some cool Pictures from the Barris archives... So I was posting some behind the scenes kind of shot around the Barris world... So for the next installment of pictures will be mostly of indoor car shows MY FAVORITE SUBJECT!! At the shop I came across a file cabnet of envleopes labled "Detroit 65" "Indy 61" etc etc... So I scanned a handful of these and they are Awesome!!!

Will start with this one from a show in Los Angles 1961 ( not sure what event) but its cool to see the Futura in its other life as a concept car. Also parked next to it was the Exsonic in its 2nd or 3rd version.. Also behind it seems to be a streamliner.. More to come!!

Photo: Barris Kustom City

[​IMG]

11. I love the big book of Barris. Thank God George was such a self promoter, without him many of these cars would have never been seen in print again. I only wish the A Bros had more photos of the cars they worked on over the years...would love to see something on them

12. This Is Great I Love Kustoms.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bill wasn't the ONLY one from W.Virginia with a Barris car...Jed Clampett had George do his Olds!

14. 80WTI

80WTI

Great pics, thanks for sharing and i look forward to more. lee

15. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just checking in... it's a new year!! Do you have any fresh updates for us on that "Art of George Barris" book project? How's it coming along??

16. This is like the crowds when Apple release a new 'puter these days.. Manic