Register now to get rid of these ads!

Weight difference 170 to 250 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63comet, Mar 13, 2013.

1. 63comet

63comet

What I've found online lists them as bein the same. I know that is wrong. The 250 is definitely a heavier engine. It's taller and a bit wider. And I now have a C4 instead of the tiny Merc-O-Matic.

I'm rebuilding the front end of the Comet and have decided to buy new springs. Right now I have stock fifty year old springs with two coils cut out which gaines me a great stance with the stock 13" wheels but I plan on installing 15" wheels, disc brakes, and doing the Shelby control arm relocation so I figured I'd go back to something closer to stock on the springs.

I'm not sure if I should just go with 6 cyl springs, V8 springs, or something in between. With the changes obviously I'm seeking more spirited handling than stock but not a road racer. I just want to be able to power through on ramps a little harder.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I don't know an exact number for you, but knowing these engines well I'd say it's not too wild a difference. Something in the range of 30 to 40 lbs.

3. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

The folks over at fordsix.com may have more precise info for you.

4. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

170- 385 lbs and the 250- 420lbs 289/302 weighs in at 460lbs

5. alaskaal

alaskaal
    from Delaware

Stock 6 cyl springs will work fine as will stock 8 with a single coil cut. Leaving room for your 15's

6. Spec A/C springs. A/C is rare, but was available, and weighs about the difference, so you'd just about nail it for spring rate.

Cosmo

7. id go with a pair of coils from a 260 mustang

8. 63comet

63comet

I ordered V8 springs. We'll see how that sits. I can always lop a coil off.

9. 63comet

63comet

FWIW after driving the car for two months or so with the V8 springs the car seems to sit a scoosh high in the front. I still plan on taking a quarter or half loop out of the front coils just to get it down a little but as is the front tires are really close to the bumper ends so I want to wait until I have time to remove the springs, reinstall without them, work everything up and down, back and forth, and make sure that another inch isn't going to push me into a trouble zone.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. 63comet

63comet

I may also find different spring pads. I can't convince those to stop squeaking!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!