Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ebay Prices vs. Dealer -Flathead Pulley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 13, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm going to buy a new crank pulley for my 60, Kind of a back burner thing, my old one is mostly OK. MACs has 'em for 25 bucks. Been watching Ebay for the last few months, look at what has been paid for them, most recent at top and a couple months old at bottom.

Why are people still paying more than MACs, who has them in stock? Are the MACs repops maybe? Who would repop 60 pulleys, LOL. In any case, and I have seen this happen before, someone gets some good money for a part on Ebay, then others (or same seller) cuts loose with more and the price drops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 46Chief

46Chief

To easy- original Ford part vs Re-Pop, which would you rather have?

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Really, a repop V8-60 pulley? They must be getting hard up for repop options. They should be making water pumps!

Well, at least the originals are half price now. :)

4. Kinda O/T from flathead pullies, but, I've noticed with alot of things, the stores are cheaper then E-bay. Ebays great for crap like trim, but performance parts, and engine parts are higher priced alot of the time, then from a store here.

For instance, bearings from e-bay $40 + shipping and w/e else, same bearings here(same company) $35... + tax.

Support your local shops.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yep. Some Ebay sellers probably prey on folks that are either too lazy or too wealthy to do more than just find it on Ebay and hit the buy it now button. Wish I could be one of 'em.:)

I did just find a local speed shop though, what a field day I had perusing that place. I'll be buying what I can there.

6. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

I have 60 hp crank pulleys in stock no big deal, what you guys are forgetting it the price on ebay is a bid price that means that two people are determining the price they want to pay not the actual value of the product. I have maintained this position before, in some cases its is cheaper to purchase from a specialty parts vendor retail than it is to bid on the same part offered on auction. The problem with auction reviews is that it artificailly inflates the cost of random goods because once the payout price higher than old retail is realized the retailer says " gee if these guys are willing to pay $x for that part now my old $w price is to low I'll have to raise my retail to the new $x price" so the inflation process takes place on result of two peoples questionalbe bidding practices.

7. Wow Dick,
    Sooo true! I've bought on E-bay for years, and have gotten to the point where I won't buy if the seller doesn't offer a "buy it now".
    All you need is two buyers getting into a pi$$ing match and you will spend more than anywhere else.
    I still think your best bet is buying from a reputable parts dealer so that if there is a problem, you have a recourse. Ever buy a part at a swap meet and find it won't fit?
    Who are you going to take it back to? What kind of hoop are you going to have to jump through to get that problem reconciled on E-bay?
    Doesn't have to be Dick, there are several companies out there. Do your homework. Check with all of them. You will be surprised which parts are priced differently among them. Then you will know how to get the best price on a part.

8. fleetside66

fleetside66

Maybe O.T., but maybe not. I just bought a set of those hard plastic pry bars for removing trim at Harbor Freight for $5 & I noticed that they sell the same set on Ebay for $15, and in one case, $19. But, I suppose if you're living in a place where it takes $20 worth of gas to get to somewhere to buy something, it might be worth the extra coin.

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

ebay sucks--that said we have to know prices and availability on our own to make a good purchase---those NOS prices make you FORD BOYS look like corvette restorers ...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

So you can't bid the amount that you're willing to pay for it and see what happens?

11. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

The prices there are getting ridiculous across the board. I was comparing prices on intakes this morning from people selling here on the HAMB and on the bay.
    Sellers were asking 3 times as much for the exact same part! :eek:
    I can understand charging a bit more to cover the insane fees of selling there but $950 for a $300 intake is taking it a bit far.

If only there were an auction website for people to list Pre-1973 used & NOS parts at little to no cost! :D I know... I'm shameless!

True story on the intake search though.

12. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

If only there were an auction website for people to list Pre-1973 used & NOS parts at little to no cost

it's called CRAIGSLIST---it is easy to search nationwide for specific items...

13. Just curious... What's your method to do a "nationwide" search on craigslist?

14. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

SEARCH TEMPEST .COM---but there better ones

15. greener200

greener200

I put old parts on here and the fordbarn for a week or two.. try to take care of the people that take care of me . my dads got a barn full of 35 -40 ford tin .I,m tryin to get him to sell some of it, SO HE CAN ENJOY THE MONEY NOW ! . Anything that doesn,t sell here or the barn goes to e-gay and the price goes up accordingly. we all know e-gays a good gauge to see what stuff is selling for ..like the original FORD charcoal bag ,flattend like a poster for the wall 875 bucks ! ! ! it went for :eek: mp

16. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

I must be in the minority here, but I love ebay. Everyone complains about the high prices compared to the catalogs, but I seem to have the exact opposite experience.

Most of the time if I find something in a catalog I'll check ebay and usually find the same part for cheaper. Even Speedway, Summit, Jegs, etc sell stuff on ebay and most of the time it seems the shipped price is cheaper than it would be right off their site.

Recently I was trying to find a bellhousing and I called around to every wrecking yard in a 2hr radius an no one had it. But there were half a dozen on ebay, all for about half of what a new one would cost. Personally, I think ebay is a great resource for hot rodding.

I guarantee if that repop pulley Macs is selling was for a more popular application, you'd find 5 other sellers selling the same exact part, and they would all be competing on price, and that same pully would be $20 with free shipping from one of them.

17. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I think that eBay is fantastic. It allows me to find stuff that otherwise I would never get. Even if I pay more for it. Besides my time is limited and I would rather spend it working on the car than spending my time and gas to run all over the place and still come home empty handed. Just my opinion.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I was joking. If you will click the link in my signature you will see what I'm talking about.
    It was only a shameless plug to my auction site.
    Also, Craigslist isn't an auction site, although Ebay does own part stake of the company.

19. I agree 100%. You have to know how to search on eBay. There are alot of sellers on there just trying to see if they can find a fool who will pay there inflated price, but if you search around a little chances are you will find it for an OK price.
    I just bought an original 1950's Hydroplane race flotation (life jacket) for $35.00 + $8.00 shipping and one clown has 2 of the exact jacket on there right now for $350.00 + $25.00 shipping! Of course they will never sell them at that price, but the idiots will just hit relist month after month on there store listings hoping for a sucker.

20. Hooptologist

Hooptologist

A lot of people bash ebay but you can find a lot of good deals there if you look hard enough. A few years back I needed a few pieces of stainless for our 57 safari so I started searching. I found a huge lot of 57 Pontiac parts with a healthy $125 shipping charge. No one could have possibly needed all the parts so the bidding was slow. I won the auction for $202. Once I got the stuff I relisted what I didnt need and got my original investment back, made about $500 profit and ended up with the trim I set out for.

21. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

made quite a lot of money selling on ebay---but it is a sellers hell compared to what it was years ago---Auction Blast and others have killed it for sellers and ebays policies and fees are bad for small time sellers---fact not opinion --- i have 100% satisfaction rating and have been a power seller ever since they came up with the rating---it is still a good place to find odd items and check prices...

22. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

That's the exact reason I started one of my own. I traded with guys on Ebay all of the time and heard the same from everyone. My site may never have the traffic that Ebay draws but I made it to where it wouldn't cost a thing to run a listing. That way, small timers like us will have a place to trade and sell without breaking the bank.
    And then there is always the HAMB classifieds which is a great source as well. Hell, half the parts on my 57 so far are from guys on here.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do that all the time on things that I am not hell bent on getting but would like to have. Bid what I feel like paying and let it ride, If I get the winning bid so be it and if I don't so what.

I think that the used parts selling for more than repro parts from vendors is a two dimensional thing. There are a number of guy (a few have posted on the thread) who would rather pay a premium for a somewhat tired "original" part and have to rework it than buy a new reproduction from one of the vendors who has them. The other thing is that all too many guys in the hobby just don't seem to be willing to spend any time or effort in hunting down parts. They see an item on Ebay, brain goes into the "gotta have it or else" mode and they end up spend far more for it than if they had been patient and did some research and a bit of hunting.

The make or break it thing for me in Ebay is the shipping fees. I've passed on a lot of things because the sellers have jacked up shipping and handling fees rather than actual cost.

24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I bought a NOS pulley off Ebay. Pulled the tape off. Is it supposed to look like this?

[​IMG]

25. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Yuup those grooves are suppose to be there. what was the Ebay price?

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks Dick. 35 bones.