Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Bagged 54 Chevy on stock IFS...Help?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HellzBelle54, Mar 13, 2013.

1. HellzBelle54

HellzBelle54
    from FL

Hey Guys,

First, I have searched the board as any humble FNG should but I came up empty.

I am looking into bagging my old heap and I realize that MII is probably the best option(but instantly prices me out of the market :() for getting low but I know it can be done on the stock front suspension. I am hoping to see some pics of cars which have been done this way without the dropped spindles/uprights. A bonus would be if the the rear was bag over leaf as well. A shot in the dark I know, but here's to hoping.

Thanks Guys! :)

2. Dirty54

Dirty54

3. I would not advise doing the rear as bag over leaf. The stock narrow leafs are prone to breaking with all the leafs there. If you remove a few and use the mains as locators you are asking for trouble.

4. HellzBelle54

HellzBelle54
    from FL

Thanks for the advice Tman! I replaced the old sagging springs previously with new posie's units. Do you still think this will be a problem? I was advised by a few folks who said they have done it and it worked well.

5. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

X2 on Tman's advice, I was planning on doing that same route until I realized that I wanted my car super low so I removed all the springs but the main one and it would de-arch the rear springs super bad and then when air'd up it would stretch them alot the other direction.... basically I was worried they would break at the wrong time if ya know what I mean.
    Unfortunately I had to go the C-notch, 2-link route, now she'll lay the frame :)

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

You can do a 2 link fairly cheap! Or even utilizing the mid 60s chevy truck trailing arms is another option. I personally wouldn't not want to only have the rearend attached with only a single spring.

I'm about to start a 2 link on my 51 chevy coupe, found all the ends I needed at http://store.gaugemagazine.com/ They pretty much had the best prices with free shipping online.

7. HellzBelle54

HellzBelle54
    from FL

Yeah, the plan CURRENTLY is to do a Gambino notch with bag over leaf in the rear with the new posies springs and stock IFS bagged in the front. While the front is all apart it will be getting a full rebuild as well. Cutting and rebuilding the tunnel and cutting out and replacing the trunk floor. The goal is to get as low as I can afford to. Laying frame would be nice but it isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me. The kicker for me is that mechanically I am good, WELDING on the other hand, I suck at like it's my job. SO I have to have someone do the work for me, luckily I found an awesome and respected guy locally who can knock it out, but labor is expensive.

I flirted with the idea of doing the 4 link, but again trying to do this on an iron clad budget is ruling that out. I realize it is the best way to do it, but I just can't make it work on the ole balance sheet.

8. El Carne's 53'

El Carne's 53'
    from Oceanside

Go with the jiminez bros 2 link, that kit is the shit, and you can keep your back seat in tact..not an option with the 4 link...and it gets you LOW. It's a great price too..meat.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. deeddude

deeddude

I’m in the middle of doing a 2-link myself. The ends that the gauge store sales are good but the bag plates suck, I could have cut them with a torch and did a better job; but for $5 expect $5 quality. I’m piecing mine together; don’t know how much I’ve got in it, but a whole lot less than a kit.
    [​IMG]

10. Dirty54

Dirty54

You can keep your back seat with a 4 link Iam in the process now not much has to be trimmed actual the seat back fit fine just the bottom has to be trimmed but its so far back you can't even tell

11. ray

ray
    from colorado

once again, 2-link. very easy to build from scratch. you could buy the parts needed cheaper than the posies springs. though i would NOT recommend the links be parallel as posted above, the front pivost must be close together so the axle and arms form a triangle.

do not do bag over leaf.