Register now to get rid of these ads!

Skip’s So-Cal LSR Fuel/Gas Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skip Pipes, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Some of my friends (I think I have 1 somewhere) from the HA/GR section are wondering where I slipped off to after I sold my HA/GR.
    I actually started this car before the HA/GR and it’s been under construction since late 2008. Money has been the real showstopper lengthening the build, however it’s now about 90% done. If I’m diligent I might make it to El Mirage this year.
    I started with a Poli-Form body and made the rails myself. My original intention was to run a blown BBC but the truth is I couldn’t afford a proper engine combination. So I made the hard decision to go a different (smaller, less expensive) engine route (non traditional). This was way before SCTA created the new American Gas Roadster class (Damn). If I weren’t so invested in this engine combo I’d give the new engine class a serious look. Nonetheless, here’s where I’m at with the construction. FWIW - when I’m done with this engine combo I can easily revert back to a traditional engine.

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.
  2. <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:.5in .5in .5in .5in; mso-header-margin:0in; mso-footer-margin:0in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> This is up to date work. I’m roughing in the reverse curve for the windshield and then the parachute enclosure.

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.
  3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Great another thread I 'll have to watch:D, Subcribed,,, Car looks Great!! Tim Jones

4. looking good, great to see you're still chipping away...;):)

Cheers,

Drewfus:D

5. Thanks for posting it over here Skip. I was re-reading your thread on landracing.com about your turbo app since we are going boosted now as well.

6. Drewfus - Thanks
    Tman - You'll like the turbo when you get it sorted out!

Here I'm roughing the paper form for the parachute cover. Then here is the aluminum bent up and rougher in. I'll final trim it to shape with snips and file the edges after I set the Dzus tabs. I saved the fiberglass cutouts so I can trim them up and reinstall them to fill the gaps I created to the parachute cover. I REALLY hate fiberglass work!

In a couple of weeks this should be of the table for final welding.

Skip

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.
  7. Looks really good mate ,what engine are you running??

8. Looks good! Hope to see you out at Elmo this year.

9. <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:.5in .5in .5in .5in; mso-header-margin:0in; mso-footer-margin:0in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Good Captian – It’s a 2JZ-GTE
    Mctin64 – I seriously love your Unibody, follwed the build and have watched you run Elmo.
    As for the roadster still a lot of work to do but I’m looking forward to running Elmo and sorting out the roadster.
    Skip Pipes

10. That should move it along nicely. ;)

11. Skip, do you have any more detailed shots of your radiator in a tank? Other than what I have seen.

12. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Thats an awesome looking car. Keep poking away, I'd like to see it at El Mirage this year.

13. What are you looking for in pics? I'll shoot what you need and send them to you.

Skip

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. Hi Trent,

When I set out to build my car the goal was to make it handle as much horsepower as I could throw at it. The same applies to the cooling system. So, I got the largest AFCO double pass radiator I could order that would fit in the car. I needed to stay below 28” tall.

Attached Files:

15. <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Then I mocked up the tank length/width, keeping in mind I’d have to install the radiator in the tank and get it to line up with the transfer fittings to get the radiator water outside the tank.

Attached Files:

16. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Good to see you are still out there Skip. Hope to see you sometime. BTW, I moved my shop so call me when you are around and I'll tell you where we are.

17. <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> I also put a bilge pump in the tank to circulate the water around the outside of the radiator to ward off hot spots. The pump is plumbed to a spray bar, which is nothing more than PVC with holes drilled in it to trickle water over the top of the radiator.

Attached Files:

18. <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> I wanted the radiator to be a drop-in install into the tank, so I used 2 pieces a angle, back to back to catch the bottom radiator mount. Then I moved the in/out necks to the ends of the radiator tank.

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.
  19. <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:.5in .5in .5in .5in; mso-header-margin:0in; mso-footer-margin:0in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> I built these fittings to be installed on the outside of the tank and they pass through to the firewall fittings, then the engine.
    The top of the tank is flat plate and I created the mating edge from angle to bolt to. The large fuel cell cap is so I can get my hand inside the tank to get to the radiator cap.

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.
  20. Hi John,

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> You must be clairvoyant. I was cleaning up the shop and found the loading ramps you loaned me. I want to get them back to you so I’ll call tomorrow.
    Skip

21. Thanks Skip, looks like it will work well. I think I am adding the pump and spray bar after studying yours................IF I have room. Do you plan on running just water? Or adding some ice?

22. Initially, I don't plan on running ice. If I turn the boost way up I may need it. I'm on the hunt for a non-flammable coolant with good documentation that I can get through tech. Otherwise, it's water.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

24. I didn't know it but had a hunch, I just ordered that same bilge pump from Overtons! Thanks again Skip!:)

PS, let me know if you find a coolant!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  25. New question Skip, with that cooling system are you running a puke tank/recovery tank and where are you mounting it?

26. I am running a puke tank outside of the main tank. I want it in the engine compartment, however, I may be forced to hang it on the main tank. It's a $30 wedge shaped import tank with a sighting tube to check the fluid level. it's got a cheap radiator cap that I'll cut off and weld a proper cap mount back on. I'll shoot a pic when I get in the shop later today.

Also, I'm going to run a minimum of 2 main tank vent tubes (1.00" ID each) from the top of the main water tank out to the rear of the car, past the rear axle and to the back edge of the frame. This way if I puke an engine or head gasket the total cooling system can vent to the outside of the car, and not on me.

There have been some great stories of blown head gaskets that caused lots of damage to unpressurized water tanks. This main tank has a pressurized system in it and if something lets go I want the pressure to have a path to the outside of the car.

Skip

27. Ah yes, the vent!

I am lucky that our tank is a few feet behind me and the engine.

Thanks again, just planning things during some down time at work!

28. Skip, did you roll the bead in those nipples yourself? I need some and do not have the fancy bead roller for tubing.

29. I didn't on these. I used rolled tubes from Speedway Motors and chop them in half and weld them to both sides of the plate. For the bends I go to Burns Stainless as I really like their material and workmanship and put the rolls in myself. I made a bead tool from a vice grip that really was designed for the larger boost tubes.

Skip

30. Thanks Skip! AGAIN!