Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Distributor - How close to radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 12, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I bought a crab cap distributor and adapter to replace my helmet in the hopes of being able to get my radiator further back (reason for which is complicated). I have yet to install it. The crab cap is shorter by about two inches, but to take the cap and rotor off you need the extra two inches of potential gain. To take if off the engine requires less, I think, maybe an inch. Is it practical to remove the complete unit to remove the cap, service the points? Assuming so, what is a good safe clearance between cap and radiator, the inch it takes to remove the whole plot?

Thanks!

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On my '48 (with the 59 type cap, but same base and space problem as the 21A crab)
    here's the drill: Pop off cap from distributor...just let it dangle on the wires. Insert fingers between cap and base, flip off the rotor. Spin off the two bolts, wiggle out the distributor.
    Now you have the distributor off to check points and timing, and plenty of room to deal with cap as needed.
    The Ford system allows you to R7R the distributor without disturbing the timing, of course, and if you are going to work on it it is easily retimed.
    Going back on you need to turn distributor by the rotor until the tab engages...note that tab is offset and only fits comfortably the right way, though it is just barely possible for a determined idiot to get it wrong with some violence and improvisation.
    The R&R is actually very easy on these things (unlike the helmet, whose bulk tangles with everything), and everything can easily be done by braille once you have done it and learned where everything is.

Clearance can be minimal, assuming you have steady rods so engine cannot move significantly fore & aft.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  3. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

Be sure to tape a piece of cardboard across the radiator, helps save the radiator and your hands. Marvin,ct

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys. I assumed that might be the removal drill. I'll go for about 1 to 1 1/2" inches clearance then.