Register now to get rid of these ads!

headlight switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guido`s 40, Mar 12, 2013.

1. guido`s 40

guido`s 40
    from nebraska

Who makes a good quality headlight switch? I bought one a year ago it had the relay mounted on it and was easy to install, the problem is that the bezel not that mounts through the dash into the switch bracket is plastic and pulled out, and threads inside the knob also pulled out! I don't think I was very hard on them, I only drove it a couple times at night then it all fell apart. I don't want a billet style knob I don't think it would match the rest of the dash very well

2. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

[​IMG]
    I sell these and sorry not much help as I am in Australia. My supplier tells me they also sell to Bob Drake and So-Cal, if that helps you.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. the one in my truck is from a '50's chevy pickup. the truck was my daily for 100000 miles with no problems.

5. jimbousman

jimbousman

I use an old style key-type Harley Davidson ignition switch. The switch has multi positions for a combination of uses including ignition, lights, wipers. Replicas are available.

Attached Files:

6. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Don, that is not much help to him as it is a push pull switch. You need two settings and a dimmer on a headlight switch.

7. Over the years, I've bought brands like Niehoff, Borg Warner and Standard Ignition Products switches, never a peep out of them for many years after installing one.

Bob

8. guido`s 40

guido`s 40
    from nebraska

thanks for the info, do the marine ones have a breaker built into them? I guess I should check with my local boat dealer

9. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where did the failed switch come from? American Autowire lists a multi position switch with a CB built in.

10. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I bought one from napa, it broke with in the first year, I cleaned up the original 53 headlight switch and put it back in, it works perfect.

I guess they dont make them like they used to.

Godspeed
    MrC.

11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I use a '57-'63 Chevy switch that has the dimmer for dash lights as well as an interior light on-off function;

[​IMG]

You'll also need these;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is exactly what this switch does.......how do you think I am using one ? First click out is low beams, second click out is high beams. There is a terminal on the switch that is hot in both positions, and I use that one for my tail lights. By using this switch I don't need a separate dimmer switch.

Don

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, they do not have a built in breaker, but the fuse in your fuse box that you designate as the power to the switch will handle that function.

Don

14. I use the exact same thing. No problems here either

15. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Not wanting to argue with you Don OK, but I can see just how that that works and a great idea as well. What about park lights ? Here you have to have park lights and head lights and a seperate switch for hi - lo beam. What we call ADR's (Aust Design Rules) stipulate that requirement. The switch I showed has a dimmer for the dash / guage lights. Park lights - headlights and twist for guage dash dimmer.

16. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Don thanks for the info. Nice switch you suggested too, works for us in the states I guess?. Like that it is somewhat water resistant I 've seen the roadster at the Turkey Run. Nice ride.

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That's right, I forgot you guys down there have some very specific, tough requirements. If you wanted parking lights with the one I showed all you would have to do is connect those wires to the same terminal that you are running your tail lights on. But having a separate dimmer switch would be the problem. They even make you guys put the steering wheel on the wrong side down there. :D

Thanks for the compliment, Andy. It's just a driver, but lots of fun. :)

Don

18. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

there are some crap switches out there ,no doubt. last couple hot rods i built, because of small dashes and not alot of room, i made a bracket and mounted a gm factory switch with the knob behind the dash, facing down. so you reach under dash and pull knob straight down. works great and freed up some space on a small dash. i bought and older switch from bone yard, better than alot of the chinese crap we have now.

19. I have purchased headlight switches from NAPA,,no problem. HRP