Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stude O/D trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chewie46, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Chewie46

Chewie46

I'd like to exchange the O/D trans in my 48 Champion for a rebuilt rather than do mine. My trans is fine, O/D doesn't work, and I'm told by tech that its internal. I'd rather just exchange the whole trans. Any help?

2. so using the cable pulled out doesn't get it into overdrive - or what ?

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Are you familar with the Studebaker Drivers Club (SDC) ? If you are, I'd recommend one of the vendors advertised in their monthly mag, Turning Wheels.

If you are not a member if SDC, consider joining........tremendous support in tech and parts suppliers.

Ray

4. PackardV8

PackardV8

Yours is probably a Borg-Warner T96. I don't know anyone who stocks exchange transmissions.

One caveat is there are many versions of that basic transmission and not all interchange directly.

I'd put out a WTB here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum.php and can almost guarantee someone will have something for you.

jack vines

5. flamed58

flamed58

In 1948 it will have a T86. Dusty

6. jroberts

jroberts

To be in overdrive the cable should be pushed in. If it is really not working it could be a ground problem. Also it could be the wiring to and/or the governor and the solenoid. Of course it could be either of solenoid or the governor is bad. Other problems could be with the kickdown switch or the relay. All of these parts can be found. There is a way to test them. Try this site for more information. It seems pretty thorough: http://www.fordification.com/tech/overdrive.htm

7. Chewie46

Chewie46

Thanks for the help, jroberts, I think your article will be of great help to me! matt