Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Feb 1, 2012.

1. bobadame

bobadame

Maybe raise the back of the body an inch and have a look.

2. daddio211

daddio211

FASI, you don't know how close my dad and I came to buying one of your "kits" years ago, then how sad we were when we learned they were no longer available.

GREAT proportions and seemed like a lot of car for the money! I hope you're doing something similar these days!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. Beau

Beau

TwinCitiesKnight was kind enough to borrow me a set of 14"x5.60 tires/wheels and adapters so I could have an idea of what the car would look like with smaller diameter tires. The wheels were spaced out a little bit, and I plan to run 16x4 Ford rims, but the general look is there. The car was lowered about 1.5" more.

I'm in the market for a set of 5" or 5.5" tires now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fasi- I have been making patterns for some sort of belly pan. I'm still not sure which way I want to go. Thanks for posting those pictures.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  4. daddio211

daddio211

Yep, you nailed it again! This car keeps getting better and better and better!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Looking good, i would go for 4" insted of 2" but thats me...

6. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Why do those front tires bulge so much? Gotta agree with Daddio, "you nailed it again"

7. Beau

Beau

Thanks Daddio and Hillbilly.

I noticed that on the tires as well. The sidewalls appeared "stretched" like the rims might be too wide??

I was also able to get a start on the passenger side cowl panel. I removed it and blasted it. I have tomorrow off and already warned the lady that I will be there all day. :)

8. Your project is looking really cool good job Beau.

Frenchy

9. bobadame

bobadame

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Yeah, what is the plan for the windsheild?

11. Me likey!

Much better with the rubber rake!

12. twin city knight

twin city knight

Shit, those tires are a bit bulged...well at least they work for mockup purposes!

13. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Shit, those tires are a bit bulged.

kinda radialy looking. great work you are doing. i want one of these too, so its time to start scroungin parts. any of your body or frame come with a title? the local secretary of state police says illinois is going to begin making it more difficult to get a title to something that doesnt have one.

14. Beau

Beau

My first attempt at recreating a panel. This panel goes below the seat. I removed the old Model T panel and started to make my own. The bead roller made this project a nightmare. I found out that they needed to be adjusted a lot, they can cut metal, and they warp sheetmetal! Oh what fun. I had to do a lot of hammering last night. I was able to get it closer to flat, and I put the trans tunnel in tonight. I still have a lot of smoothing out to do. I'll chalk this up as a learning experience. This piece will be hidden so it'll be OK. But I sure learned a lot in the past two days!

Not perfect...but it's better than what was in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

Have a look at mindover3 on YouTube . He goe's by the name Mindover on here.He will show you how to make panels.using only hand tools.

16. Beau

Beau

I actually saw a post on here before referring to his videos. I have watched a few.

After I got home from the first night of work, I did some research about rolling beads and flanges and found out that I should have stretched the areas I was going to roll. From what I understand, rolling a bead or fange will shrink the metal, and cause flat panels to warp.

I made a T stake, slapper and a few different dollies using old Irons. I found a leather purse that had a good shape and filled that with sand. I have also collected a lot of different hammers and punches that I modified and cleaned up.

Here is one of the videos-

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  17. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

Have a look at www.allmetalshaping.com. If you join there. The guys there are very helpful. If you have any problems.

18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Nice job, Beau! Bead rollers can be fickle beasts and have a bit of a learning curve. I still haven't set my new one up yet but I'm not too far off from needing to hopefully.

19. Beau

Beau

So I have been busy the past couple days. I decided to pull the stock seat base parts out of the body so I could straighten them, fix tears and clean them up. Blasting them took forever. I had an orange cloud in the blast box. It was terrible.

When I was finished blasting it I bolted the pieces back together using the holes from the original rivets. I squared it up and trimmed some stuff up, then tacked it all together and removed all the bolts.

This will all be covered up, so it isn't real pretty. It's better than the stock crap and will be a lot stronger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. That riser will be good for storage & turned out nice

21. Beau

Beau

Thanks Sko. It's just the stock T cleaned up.

My buddy took some pics the night I started the floor panel. My lady, Alisha, is pretty much at the shop every time I'm working on the car. She is awesome! She is the one that helped me roll the floor pan. Also, if you look closely, she is hiding in a lot of the photos I have posted. She is a Manga artist. When I'm working on the Hot Rod, she is drawing amazing things. She is the best shop mate ever. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Wow! I missed this update but that looks right on! This is turning out to be a great little modified.

23. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Beau, that is an awesome photo for so many reasons.
    1. Good lookin' gal bangin' tin out in the shop
    2. Big ol' PBR in the foreground
    3. you wearin' the leather bibs

Do yourself a favor and get a wheel for that bead roller.

24. Beau

Beau

I'm a lucky fella indeed. She is a purty gal!!!!

PBR is terrible, but if I drink good beer I can't work anymore.

The apron is from a bicycle company called Electra. It was a fair price and it saves my clothing from getting destroyed.

I made a new friend with a blacksmith, Hans (http://www.handsofhans.com/) that is close to my shop. I have been trying to learn that side of metal work. Tonight he was at his shop and helped me with a little project I had. I watched a video at some point where Jesse James hammered out a T5 shifter to make it look older. I received a stock T5 from a fella on here using the "Pay It Forward" thread. I disassembled it and took the arm over to Hans's studio.

We cut off the threaded section and he put it in his furnace. He straightened it out using a hammer and anvil first. Then he used an old Little Giant power hammer to taper the shaft down for me. I'll use my torch to curve it as needed. He stretched it from about 6" to 14"! He allowed me to give it a try. What a fun machine!

It started out like this-

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  25. Beau

Beau

Here are a couple more photo's Hans took. That's an old Little Giant hammer that was made in Mankato, MN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be putting a couple bends in the rod to get it where I want it. I thinks it's pretty cool though! Metal is amazing.

[​IMG]

26. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

wow! that's so rad!

27. Yeah blacksmiths rule

28. marx

marx

Dammit that shifter trick is cool!

29. I like the shifter work.(as well as all the other work). There's a blacksmith about an hour from here that I'll have to look up, and see what he can do, just to file away for future reference. I have pictures of my GF, long ago, working in the shop with me, same boots, and almost the same jacket. It's nice to have support like that.

30. Beau

Beau

A propane forge is a pretty simple little devil. I'm going to make one now. With time, most of the parts are probably going to be free. I think I have a bunch of it already. Seems like it could be a useful tool and it would save me from wasting O/A gas.

I spent the past couple days out of my shop and at friends shops. I wanted some metal shaping mallets but I don't want to buy them yet. I decided to make some of my own. My friends shop has a wood lathe so I gathered two busted baseball bats from a buddy and put them in the lathe. I had never used one before. It's a ton of fun.

These are the roughed out heads I made.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: