Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Grandfathers Mass Collection......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kirk Wilmes, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey
    from Azle, TX

I agree. Your grandpa is my kind of guy. That collection is amazing.

2. flatoz

flatoz

What a pity the collection was broken up. Did you dad keep any of the cars? Or just yourself? Keep the photos coming

3. ninosdad

ninosdad

Talk to your estate lawyer donation to the right museum could have pretty good tax implications..Worth a call beautiful collection

4. I can only echo the sentiments stated here. Love the '36 Ford-make mine a coupe though-what a fine car. If I had my second ex-wife's money,I'd...wait a minute;that was MY money!

Bitch;I want that money back so I can go car shopping!

5. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

By the way, How do you only keep one? Hot rods are like lays potato chips.

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Carroll Shelbys son Mike knows my grandpa :)

7. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

I bought the Merc. A buddy of mine bought the 51 ford convertible that was his high school car. My dad bought a 53 olds fiesta that was absolutely stunning. And my other grandfather bought the 30 model a. I tried to buy the Hudson Hornet Twin H car and the 54 Pontiac 2 door coupe with 24,000 original miles but I blew my wad on the Merc. Shit happens that was the one Car i would have mortgaged my house for. Didn't matter how much it was. I was coming home with it. Period.

The good news is I have all the buyers names and contact info. You can betI will be calling them as I can afford more. I gave each buyer a business card asking them to call me if they decide to sell it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. Nice collection! Theres a few cars in there i wouldnt mind having.

9. 80WTI

80WTI

great collection, also some nice old signs, did they go to auction aswell?

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Wow is right. I'm not looking to start up a crap storm and glad you have a positive attitude about it, but what's up with grandma? Why didn't she just pass down some of the cars to the family instead of making you all buy them at full rate? Maybe she just wanted to level the playing field and avoid the potential family drama and convert them to cash instead. I can see that. My extended family went through a very bad period of fighting over property as some of the older members passed own. Broke up the family ties and some died never speaking to others again after. You don't need to answer if you don't want, mostly just asking myself the question.

Was a very awesome personal collection of cars, that's for sure. Nice building too. Not the sweetest ride there by a long shot, but I like that Scout with the gold top. Any more pictures of that? I've had my mind on maybe getting one of those for a while now. What happened to that?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  11. Hyfire

Hyfire

Hey Kirk!

Haven't seen that Black Chrysler 300 mentioned yet. Know anything about it?

Josh

12. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

Like I said I don't care to get into how it all went down just wanted to share the collection with you guys as I knew you would appreciate them. There is no bad blood. Life's to short for that shit. The way I look at it is you can either whine about it or do something about it. I chose the latter. Glass is always gotta be half full my friend. At least they got to go to other car guys that are hopefully driving the shit out of them and getting to make their own memories. I take pride in knowing that other people are enjoying what my grandfather created with his own hands.

He bought the scout brand new and they used to pull the boat to the lake with it. My parents even dated a little in it when they were in high school or just out I will get some pics up soon. My uncle bought it back then sold it to my other grandpa and he still has it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've been out of town and just came home to this thread. It put a big smile on my face.

I lived in Altus until I was 5 years old. Don (the owner of the collection) and my dad were great pals and got in all kinds of shenanigans together. Just one:

Don needed some parts at a junkyard in Wellington, TX so we hopped in Don's truck and headed out. (If the location sounds familiar, it should... because it was Flat Top Bob's yard - at the time, is was ran by his father. Crazy, right?) Anyway, we got whatever it was Don was needing and loaded it in the back of the truck using some old blankets to keep it all safe. About half way home, my four year old self looked out the back window to see the entire truck bed ablaze. Apparently, my dad threw out a cigarette which ignited the old (And apparently fuel soaked) blankets.

Can you imagine that truck roaring down the highway?

I've got so many stories like that one... I remember absolutely HATING day care, so my mom worked out a deal with Don where she would just drop me off at Don's garage a couple of times a week. I would sit in some old car for hours and flip switches and what not - no telling how many batteries I drained. And I can specifically remember sitting in Kirk's Merc so many times... I loved that car... If kirk didn't buy it, it was gonna be mine.

As for the collection, it was sad to see it parted... but, I understand why... Don's wife deserved the right to do whatever she wanted with those cars as she sacrificed a bunch for them. I'm just so happy to see Kirk with the merc and that car still in my life in some way. Can't wait for the build thread.

14. Kirk... you recieved one of the best gifts of all from your grandpa... that is, the love of the automobile.

Sam

15. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Certainly first in US. I think Alvis made the model 12/75 in the UK in 1928, a year before Cord?

16. Bigjake

Bigjake

Tell us about the Merc, why is it your favorite/the one you picked. I bet theres a story behind that.

17. BenW455

BenW455

Wow what a collection. If that was at my grand fathers I would have never went home!

18. IWB

IWB

What an amazing collection and the fact that he did alot of the work himself makes it even more impressive to me. I'm glad you got the you wanted.

19. M@

M@
    from Altus OK

YEP!! Build thread on the Merc!! HAHA Im sure you have plenty of spare time!

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Wow. That collection's serious.. Glad to hear you got to own one of your grandpa's old cars. You'll probably keep that car for the rest of your life.

Ryan - that story of the blazing bed is hilarious. Amazingly small world too.

21. Gerg

Gerg

thank you for sharing this thread is just amazing

22. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

Sorry I haven't posted anything in a couple days on the collection. We've beenputting in some hours on my chop top 50 shoebox. I will have some time maybe this weekend to get some stuff up.

To he honest my all time favorite car was his 53 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. He restored it from the ground up and won several national awards with it. This car was especially near and dear to me bc I got married in it in november 2010. There was no way I could afford the car so part of it had to do with the funds (which it always does).

AlmostAll of his cars were restored to factory specs and I have always favored custom stuff. The kind of custom that makes you ask, is that the way it came from the factory or did somebody change it? That's exactly what this Merc is to me. It was built in the late sixties and has a stock roof but a louvered hood, shaved emblems and handles but the coolest thing about it is the 324 rocket with the factory three on the tree.

When I bought it drove it for awhile then decided to do a few things like fix a leaky wheel cylinder and odd ball stuff like that. That has turned into a two year ordeal with the body on a rotisserie and a freshly powder coated frame and a completely rebuilt motor with four 94's on it. I will get a build thread on it sometime soon.

23. M@

M@
    from Altus OK

Had the night off from the '50, and no update? Just bustin your balls... Rest up... Work to do. But seriously awesome thread, im learning alot about what was there. :D

24. OKCCADMAN

OKCCADMAN

I met your granddad at the Cadillac Grand National in Fort Worth in 1996, The highlight of my trip was getting to sit in his 53 Eldorado!

I bought a 66 Deville Convertible and a 74 Eldorado Convertible from Jeff Wilmes around 1988 and got to see the collection then.

Does your dad still have the 53 Fiesta? If so, I would love to come photograph it some time.

25. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

Jeff is my father. I would have been four years old in 1988. Unfortunately the Eldorado was sold along with the other cars. I did however use that car to get married in in 2010.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. OKCCADMAN

OKCCADMAN

Here are the 2 we bought. Is the 53 Fiesta still around?

Attached Files:

27. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

He had two 53 Fiestas. One was orange and white and the other was blue and white. The orange car won the Oldsmobile nationals best of show in the early 90's. It was judged 996 out of 1000.

Every car of his was sold in 2010. I bought the candy red 50 Merc back, my dad bought my moms 75 Camaro she drove in high school and my other grandfather bought a 28 model A.

I would have loved to buy the Eldo back but it is worth more than my house so there was no possible way at the time.

I have everyone's contact info that bought each car so I can see if I can buy a few back someday.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!