Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rambler 6 Cyl Fitment Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donmon, Mar 11, 2013.

1. New Rambler wagon project question:

I have a 1964 Rambler wagon, the stock 199 (I think it what is was) is gone.

I located a 1966 Rambler 232 6 cyl.

Will a 66' 232 fit in a 64' ?

Thanks in advance!

-Don

Attached Files:

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It should. 1964 was the first year for Rambler's new body . The next year they introduced the new six cylinder engine in 199, 232, and later 258 cu in sizes.

This engine was much longer than the old 196 and will not fit earlier Ramblers but should fit the 64 .

3. Thanks Rusty. That's what I wanted to hear.

I would of hated to do a full rattle can rebuild and it not fit.

-Don

4. Hyfire

Hyfire

1964 Ramblers only came stock with the 195.6 inline. The only exception is the limited edition yellow & black 2-door hardtops with the 232. The 195.6 is a completely different motor than the 232... Although I'm not familiar with how they differ in mounts.

The '63 is actually the first year of the "new" body style, so the 63-on will share architecture. So size wise it will fit.... But you will have to ask AMC guys if they use the same mounting points.

5. That's the big question will it mount up. Trans, motor mounts etc.

Any AMC experts?

6. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Look around on theamcforum.com, I bet this has been discussed before on there. The 232/258 are good engines.

7. oldolds

oldolds

The trans bolts up, but there are flywheel, torque converter problems. If I remrmber correctly. Been a long time. Best bet is trans that fits the engine, use one that is new enough to be the chrysler variant, not the borg warner, if going auto.

8. Thanks for the link Bryan.

Car has manual w over drive, engine was from an automatic.

Oldolds -given your info, I should look for a flywheel and clutch for a 64 199/195

This is getting confusing, its just a Rambler!

9. tomic

tomic

the 232/258 up through 1971 will bolt in. In 1972 (and up) AMC changed the block/bellhousing pattern to unify with the V8's, so those won't bolt in.

the 64 american will accept the 232, but you'll need to use a 1964 water pump or some year Jeep water pumps, with the shorter shaft. AMC juggled front brace and firewall shape over the years to accomodate changing six head and deck height.

(Nash sixes and AMC-six-through-1971 have the same bell pattern.)

there's only two transmissions that fit that engine -- T-96 with and without OD, and the Borg Warner auto. The BW is a fine thing (tho just a 3-speed auto) but the T_96 is kind of awful. i dont even mind the non-synchro first, but it's weak (i broke one with a 232ci in a classic wagon) and parts are hard to get and the rear seals leak cuz no one makes new ones. i have one in a '63 American.

there's a lot of power to be extracted from the 232. the easy trick setup is an 1981-up intake and exhaust manifold and a Weber 32/36 DGEV (google "weber jeep kit"). not only does the mani flow better than the old one, it's about 30 lbs lighter.