Register now to get rid of these ads!

So, how bad is the "bowl" at Scottsdale Good Guys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Mar 8, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey gang,

Scottsdale Good Guys is this weekend, and after two or three weeks of 75-85 degree days today is about 50 degrees and sleety nasty rains. If you went out today, how bad was the main grounds down in the bowl? Anybody think tomorrow is gonna be salvagable?

2. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Greggy sent me pictures, but the JJ app won't let me upload them from my phone.

3. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I hope it's ok. Is there gonna be a HAMB meet n greet? I'd like to catch up with some of you Az guys.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

After watching the storms roll through all day I'm thinkin' I might just go on Sunday only. We'll see.
    Beatnikpirate, I don't know of an official get together at GGs, but give me yell on my phone and we'll say "Hi" 602 881 0175 Ya know, we should do a meet and greet out there. Guess I just never thought of it!

5. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Rain in Arizona? How can that be? Looks more like York East NSRA.

Ago

6. I was wondering the same thing after today's little gully washer.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  7. jerry

jerry

Poured down rain at work today. Whoopeee.

Can you say mud bogs?

Glad to say that I hadn't even planned on going to that hole!

jerry

8. We finally left Mesa about 12:15, was dry and sunny. Got as far as the Salt River land fill before I hit moisture. By the time I got to Fountain Hills, it was solid downpour!! Tapered off about mid way to back way to West World. Parked in front of the big Vendor tent and about 3:30 the 40 got the BIGGEST power wash it has ever seen snice new!! Very few cars today, you would have had the pick of parking spots. I never left the big tent to go to swap meet or down in the pasture but did hear it was a big lake!! Lots of stuff was covered and shut down. Good luck for tomorrow, the 40 is still there and will be till it gets better!! Its seen a lot of snow, rain and sleet but nothing like today!!!

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Figured as much! I have never missed a Scottsdale Good Guys, but I think this might be it. I have too much stuff to get louvered this weekend too.

10. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Until the November meet I had never missed one either, but thank to a viral bronchitis I did. Now between the weather and today's spinal injection I "enjoyed", it doesn't look promising for this spring either ... sometimes it's tough to catch a break!

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude, I hear ya! I remember your missing fall becuase of health reasons. I have been dealing too. My girlfriend brought home that damned flue in mid Janurary from work, and then very lovingly passed it on to me. It turned into an ubber asthma attack that has spanned 6 weeks and is just really slowing down now. Yet another reason I think I might just knuckle down and stay in the shop this weekend.

12. JSHAW

JSHAW

A buddy sent me these today around 11 AM.

Attached Files:

13. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

There were more cars today but far from a normal Saturday. The field is closed off and most of the cars were parked up on the upper level.

Look for my spot right next to So Cal and say hi.

14. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

gee whiz - rain during a GG event is always a possibility at Puyallup (WA). Somehow they make it through. If you AZ folks can take your blistering heat, surely a deluge from time to time can't be too much of a challenge. It's about the cars, not the comfort level.

15. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

We don't need two gg shows a year anyways!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. pressuredrop

pressuredrop
    from mesa AZ

Funny thing is my father inlaw did'nt go beacuse he did'nt want his "rat rod" to get wet and muddy!!

17. ^You may want to have a talk with this southwest soil. The difference between Puyallup Goodguys, and Scottsdale Goodguys is that Puyallup is nearly completely paved, and has numerous indoor facilities. At Westworld in Scottsdale, I'd say that 70% of the vehicles are parked on dirt, or have dirt all around them. Spectator parking is nearly all dirt. Not just any dirt, it's this clay that turns your size 12 in to a size 16 extra wide after 5 steps across it when wet. I don't think anyone's afraid of melting, but, attendance is obviously going to be too low to justify $20 - $50 or $75, the place is going to be a mess, and rain in Washington and Phoenix are not the same animal.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  18. I've decided to pass on this GG's too this weekend. Crappy weather for an outside event ( great otherwise though). Going to make GCC next weekend.

19. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

I dont know what you guys are talking about we had a Blast out there yesterday! Had to park on the cement for fear or your car sinking but we have some good memories now. And thats what its all about.

20. Come on guys....It's Blowing and SNOWING like a bandchee here in Nebraska today....Whats a little rain....

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Bodi - I didn't realize that. You've correctly described Puyallup, and while I've negotiated my way through a lot of that Gumbo mud that makes your tires grow and you too, if you walk in it, I didn't realize that was the big problem down at AZ GG. I stand chastised/corrected/chagrined. Thanks

22. Beautiful weather today!! Just like a normal GGs. Lots of cars and multitudes of folks!! you missed a great day. Just got the 40 home and you know, the rain and sleet did not hurt it a bit, just not used the these Arizona "POWER WASHS" LOL Been there since Fri morn.

23. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Anybody got any pics?

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Coupla things. A "little rain" doesn't happen 'round these parts. Our ground is dry and hard packed and doesn't absorb rain like it does elsewhere. It runs off in deluges! We have all sorts of bridges that are over dry washes that have signs like "Do not cross when flowing", and "No fishing from bridge", and folks from all over the world think they are being ironic when they snap a picture on a clear day. Then it rains. And that bridge ends up a mile down stream in ten minutes... See, 'round here, when it rains it knows it might be the last time for several months, so it pours and floods stuff, quick.

Also, if you must know, I consider anything below 70 degrees jacket weather. Laugh if you will, but I am pretty comfortable at 120. It doesn't work both ways...

Glad to hear it cleared and everybody had a good Sunday. I decided to lock myself in the shop as much as possible and just work.

25. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I can't swear to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the City of Scottsdale (owner of Westworld) might not have nixed parking down on the polo field (the bowl). They have been very protective of the venue in the past ... I can just imagine how the guardians might react to a couple of thousand vehicles potentially parking on the soft, sinking turf, at least the first two days.

26. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Sunday was as beautiful as it gets, Sunny and in the low 70s with a gentile breeze.

The wife and I took the rusty '55 Chevy down on Sunday and had a blast in the bowl with our friends.

27. river1

river1

another thing is the "bowl" where the show cars park is a flood retention area. If it rains it floods.

later jim

28. slammed

slammed

It look's like a crater. Maybe it should be christened the pit.

29. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

During the BJ Auctions, Craig Barrett said there would be a "permanent building" constructed in place of the tent, and that it would be done by next years auction. I wonder if he was referring to the new construction next to the equestrian area? That would be pretty cool.