Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage bunch of Aussies coming to USA, What to see

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blackroad, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

Hi Guys

We have 10 Aussies coming to the USA at the end of July. So far the Itinerary looks like this.

Pick up motorhomes in Chicago Friday 26th July, we have an invite to tour Troy Trapanier's shop so we will drive down there Saturday morning. Sunday morning drive to Indianapolis for the Nascar Brickyard 400, next day tour the Indianapolis Museum and maybe the Dallara factory. From there it is up to Auburn Indiana for the Early Ford V8 Foundation Museum and the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg museum. I believe RM Auctions have a large sight there also, does anyone know if there is anything to see there between auctions such as cars on consignment etc. From Auburn we travel down to Lousville Kentucky for the NSRA Nationals. After the Nationals we will drive to Nebraska to speedway Motors and their museum of american speed, then across to Bonneville via Kansas and St Louis. we will have a couple of days at Bonneville before heading down to Vegas for a night, then into LA for the day before flying home. Some of the guys are staying on a bit longer for Pebble Beach and Pleasonton.

Is there anything else along this route that is a must see for a bunch of car guys.

2. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Sounds like you guys are gona have a good time.

Jake

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

YOU guys ain't got enuff time...!!!

If you want scenery, make sure you take I-70 thru the mountains of ColoRODo and go thru Glenwood Canyon...you will not be disappointed...then take in Moab, Utah, 40 miles south of I-70 less than 100 miles west of Grand Junction, ColoRODo. Take the 214 exit or the 204 exit and drive thru the river canyon into Moab...stay in Moab a couple of nites...see the scenery.

From Moab, go back up to I-70 on Hiway 313 and take I-70 to Green River, from there take Hiway 6/191 up thru Price Canyon and then grab I-15 into Salt Lake City...from there you're almost to the Bonneville Flats...

Good luck and have fun...

R-

4. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Sending Private Message

5. 41 C28

41 C28

When you're in Indy you are only about 100 miles from Dayton and the Museum of the United States Air Force . Brookville Roadster is on the way.

6. While in Vegas, I usually go through the Imperial Palace car museum. It's cheap to go see some cars you don't see every day.

7. larry k

larry k

" DAMN " mites what a trip !:eek:

8. ken1939

ken1939

I know its car stuff you are after, but I understand the US Airforce Museum in Dayton Ohio is pretty sweet.

9. Fenders

Fenders

Nothing to see here, move along.......

10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Check your private messages.

Thanks,
    Cob

11. jr9162

jr9162

While in Vegas take a ride over to see Hoover Dam just beyond Boulder City. There's a new bridge you can walk across that's 1000 feet above the river and gives you a bird's eye view of the Colorado River, the dam, and the lake. You can still go thru security and drive, or walk, across the bridge on top of the dam. Neat to have your pic taken with 1 foot each in AZ and NV. Museum, gift shops, and dam tour is available. Take sun screen and a wind breaker...

While in Vegas see the night light show at the Bellagio's fountain - right on the strip. Take the missus down to the Wynn, or Encore, and let them visit Graf to try on some bling bling. There's a Ferrari dealership inside the Wynn. Bass Pro shop is right off I-15 when you are leaving town. PM me if any of Aussies want to know the best place for breakfast in Vegas. Also if anyone is interested in doing a HAMB relay of a adapter from OZ... John

12. dad-bud

dad-bud

You haven't mentioned heading to Detroit, but The Henry Ford museum is just one of the best things you will ever see in your life.
    A definite bucket list item for anyone born in the 20th Century and interested in all kinds of technology, including cars.
    Yes, it's a couple of hundred miles out of your way.
    Yes, it'll be worth it.

13. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

Thanks for all the info guys, google will get a workout. Went to The Henry Ford with the wife and kids when we came over end of 2011. Really enjoyed it then even though a lot of the cars were away whilst renovations were being done. Air Force museum sounds good, unfortunately don't have much time inVegas and only a day in LA. Going to have to come back again to check out LA but will pass on the info for the guys staying on. Notices or kids on this trip ( can't believe she is letting me go, what a great wife) just 10 car guys and about 3500 miles.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

Its about a 5 hr drive from Louisville to Chattanooga TN, but you got Honest Charlies Speed Shop and Coker Tire. Corky has an awesome collection of automobiles and all kinds of cool stuff !!

15. grim

grim

You all passin' through Kansas City?

16. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

Wow! Sounds like y'all get to make some headway on ' the things I've done list' --enjoy!

17. BAD A

BAD A

Google the canyon country, of Utah, Arizona. Like Zion and a few others. You will not be disappointed.

18. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

Hi Grim, at this stage we are planning to come through Kansas. Have a couple of things we have found there, can't remember what they are, don't have the itinerary with me.

19. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

Hey fatboy69, have to get my maps out and check Chatanooga, Coker tyre would be interesting, I here he has a great collection of neon.

20. You simply dont have enough time dude.. one night in Vegas wont get you anywhere! I was over the west coast for three weeks and I didnt even get to the NHRA museum.. I was planning to come back in July but my old man is dying so I will be sorting out affairs soon.. bugger!

21. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

Going to Vegas for a night is just a bonus on the way home from Bonneville. Would love more time but just lucky to go at all. Hard to get time off from my business.

22. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

PS torkwrench, sorry to hear about your dad, can't bear to think about losing mine, it is due to him I do what I do.

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You better drop in to Roomans shop in Indy. :cool: Also the motorcycle museum in Marquette Ks. ! Lippy:)

24. RAK

RAK

Not too far to South Bend from Auburn so I recommend seeing the Studebaker musuem there, it's worth the drive.

Rich

25. Caractacus Potts

Caractacus Potts

Studebaker museum in South Bend is great. If you can swing up in to Michigan, the Gilmore car museum is unbelievable - http://gilmorecarmuseum.org/

26. I will second fatboy on the Honest charlies stop it is one of the oldest shops in the USA and Corkey and his dad are great collectors. Chattanooga is a beautiful place to see, thats why I moved here. Not to metion that there is going to be at least one car show every weekend usually 4 or 5.

27. ninosdad

ninosdad

The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn is one of the great museums in the world. The Peterson in LA is incredible and the NHRA in Pomona CA Happy Travels

28. toml24

toml24

When you get to Los Angeles your group really should go the "Donut Derelicts" car show in Surf City---Huntington Beach. Every Saturday morning from 5:30-8:30AM there is a FREE car show at Adams and Magnolia. About 250 vintage cars and trucks show up every Saturday morning. This is the best FREE car show on the West coast. Your fellow Aussies always drop by in groups on vacation and have a great time.

29. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

X2 on the Henry Ford.

Also here, Chrysler, Rousch, and R.E. Olds museums.

You need a year!