Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help!! Model A charging generator question..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mattfink, Mar 12, 2013.

1. mattfink

mattfink

Hi guys
    Just need to know what amperage generator I would need for my
    Model A? I'm converting it to 12v negative ground, no extras just standard
    lights and everything. It's still got the banger. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks matt

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. mattfink

mattfink

And perhaps later on an electric fuel pump..

3. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

Bump- no idea on gen. But I'm sure someone on here will help you- alternator looks awful on em but --

4. GM had a 63 amp that would be a plenty. Then you have the small nipp style for fork trucks about 30 + I think.

5. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The 12 volt conversion coils for that generator are Ace Electric #402 (they will go 6 volt or 12 volt) or #44x (straight 12 volt conversion coil for the original coil) See your local auto electrical rebuilder and they can get the coils and do the conversion.

6. 97

It's dead simple .
    Just get the appropriate Fun Projects solid state cutout from http://www.funprojects.com/index.cfm
    and change battery, coil and bulbs.... You can change to neg earth at the same time if you order the correct cutout.
    The standard Model A generator will then put out 12V , the starter is happy to use the 12 V...the horn may not like it much...

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I can't quote the amperage but just get a 56-64 Ford generator and a VR to match. 6 cyl or V8.The original Model A would have a cut out and not a voltage regulator. Just wire it like a 56 Ford.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  8. A Rodder

A Rodder

Doesn't get any more clear cut than tommys post.

I used a generator from an early 60's falcon

9. mattfink

mattfink

Thankyou so much for all the replies! Lots of very helpful stuff, I love the HAMB!

10. The stock one was set at 6 volts about 10 amps. Half should be ok if you go to 12 volts plus a little for the fuel pump and larger lights. In other words, you could probably not find one that was too small. Faced with the problem I would consider a 12 volt out of the 1956-64 (approx) Fords with brackets made to mount on Model A.

Charlie Stephens

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

I am not willing to mess with generators so I put a one wire alternator on my A. It quit 300 miles from home. I walked into a parts store and asked if he had an alternator for my car which he could see thru the front window of his store. I could see the gears turning in his eyes, then he said Yes. I knew I had a good parts man!

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

What no idiot light or ammeter? I've never had a generator cause me to walk. I had plenty of warning.

I did have an alternator short out inside while driving in rush hour traffic that killed the engine and almost burned the truck down. I had to have that one towed...should I be scared of alternators now?:D