Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help!!!!Wiring issues...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MERRELL, Mar 11, 2013.

1. MERRELL

MERRELL

Just installed a ez wiring harness in my 56 merc,I tried out the turn signals in the rear and they work but when I turn on the headlight switch they won't work at all, I'm a electrician and this has me mind fucked!! Also the brake lights won't work, everything is brand new except the turn signal switch..:confused::(

2. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

I would start by making sure you have the turn signal wired properly as per the manufacturer's instructions.

3. MERRELL

MERRELL

I don't have the headlights or front turn signals in would that make a difference?

4. A Rodder

A Rodder

Are the light housings mounted to the car or "hangin" be the wires?
    They need to be mounted securely to give a good ground.

5. MERRELL

MERRELL

Yes,but mounted loosely,I'll tighten them up and see what happens..

6. stakebed

stakebed
    from White, SD

The turn signals not working when the parklights are turned on sounds like a ground issue. On the brake lights are you sure you have the rear turn signal wires hooked to the taillights? With the turn sig switch off, you should be able to follow the power through the braklight switch into the turnsignal switch, and back out on 2 wires. These 2 are the rear turn-brake wires. Maybe you have the front signal wires hooked to the rear, so no brake circuit. Either follow the power through with a test light or hook up the front lights and see if they light with the brake switch. Also could be a bad turn signal switch, did the brake lights and turn signals work with the old wiring?

7. Run separate grounds to all of the circuits because your description screams BAD GROUNDS!

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Almost all aftermarket wiring kits are GM friendly kits,GM's have two separate hot leads going into the headlight switch whereas Fords only use one.This problem has come up many times over in our Ford Group,contact EZ wires tech for a fix.When I did my Ford I used a GM switch and transferred the Ford knob to it which made it EZ to install the 4 way flasher unit.You really should hook up all wiring for proper system grounding.

9. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

When you say they don't work with the headlight switch on, does that mean nothing back there works, or are the tail lights lit? Any chance you wired the turning lights to the tail light filament, stop and turn usually share the same filament.

10. MERRELL

MERRELL

With the key in on position I have turn signals left and right,when I pull the headlight switch turn signals will not work,I'm using a gm headlight switch..

11. 63Compact

63Compact

Like has been stated already make sure you have a good ground on each light. Your symptoms scream bad earths.

12. jazz1

jazz1

Is the battery fully charged? I had similar problems with a new wire harness and I was using a 12v power source. When I hooked up to a fully charged battery everything worked as it should.

13. BillyM

BillyM

Listen to Jeff......been there, done that.....

14. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

I vote for bad ground

15. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Most turn signals quit working when one light is out,so if your front isn't connected would be like 2 lights out. That is just a thought. Jack

16. boutlaw

boutlaw

Bad ground or grounds. Powder coated light brackets must have coating ground away for good ground, as does fresh paint at grounding points. Just wired my F1, tail lights worked but only one brake light would work....powder coated taillight bracket was the culprit.

17. MERRELL

MERRELL

Thanks fellas I'll give it a try.

18. A Rodder

A Rodder

You might have the wires crossed at the rear lights as well. So you have the dim part of the bulb, the filament, as the turn and brake function so then when you add in tailights, it bright part of the bulb lights up and over powers the turn and you wont even see it blinking.

19. cryobug

cryobug

Ground problem

20. FIDDLER

FIDDLER
    from VIRGINIA

A rodder is right, turn signals look like they are working when it is actually the tailiights when the headlights come on they are using the brake light filaments which are brighter , therefor covering up the lower powered and dimmer tailights switch your wires .same thing for front parking lights and turn signal

21. goldtele

goldtele

I am having the EXACT same problem wiring my 50 Merc. Rebel Rodz Harness and stock 50 Merc Turn signal switch. Everything works except no brake lights and when I turn on the headlights I loose the turn signals. Did you figure it out?

Thanks!

22. kirby1374

kirby1374

the turn signal/brake lights have nothing to do with running lights or headlights UNLESS like mentioned above you have bad grounds and the brake lights are being grounded through the unpowered running light wire OR as mentioned above, you may have the wires switched at the pigtale of your tail light

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  23. I've got a Mars bar on the switch being faulty, not the wiring.

24. goldtele

goldtele

AHHH I'm pulling my hair out. I've triple checked everything I can think of.

Could be the switch but I can't find a replacement switch anywhere.

Anyone ever put multiple (More than 2 grounds) on their taillights?