Register now to get rid of these ads!

348 into a '53 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Labold, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Labold

Labold

Looking for photos of 49-54 Chevy cars with a 348. I have a '53 I am wanting to swap out the original 6 cyl with a 348 I have (w/ tri-power). I know the trans, rear, and driveshaft will need swapped too. I am just wondering if I am getting in over my head on this one.
    BTW- tried the search function and didn't come up with what I needed...

2. Labold

Labold

Hopefully this isn't too dif than a regular sbc swap. Keyword being hopefully.

3. George/Maine

George/Maine

I think if you put a Camaro clip you would have plenty of room.
    I used a 77 camaro clip on my 52 car.

4. mechanic58

mechanic58

ANYTHING is possible.

5. R Pope

R Pope

Might be a tight fit around the steering box/manifold area. I have seen 409's in '54's, so they do fit. Chevys coolest engine family, especially with 3 deuces!

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

what a neat swap idea - please keep us posted. I know there was a 54 Vette running around Seattle way back in the mid-to-late 60s with a 409 in it, so if they can shoehorn it in there, your sedan should be a cinch.

7. cavman

cavman

Probably the hardest part of the swap will be the exhaust manifolds with stock steering set-up. And you will most liklely have to remove the firewall braces. I have an '09 in my 53, but it has a straight axle under it

8. Labold

Labold

I had originally planned to keep the stock front suspension but am now thinking of using a Camaro front clip. I could buy a donor car and use the rear end too. I already have the motor and am freshening it up. Carbs are freshly rebuilt and already on the intake. I'll prob leave the body stock for quite sometime but would love to chop it myself one day.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad