Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Early 50's Suburban

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonmoore7, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Jonmoore7

Jonmoore7
    from Killeen,TX

I have a question: I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on purchasing an early 50's military Chevy Suburban (with windows). It pretty much needs everything and it has not motor or tranny (I consider that a good thing, I don't have to deal with someone else's problems). I'm having some trouble finding resources for this particular build. Things like turn signal lenses, wiring templates, gas tanks, front end items (this one has the front end shocks and leaf spring set up). Everything is pretty much there, but a lot of stuff needs replacing. Am I going to be spending all my time on the internet or in junkyards looking for parts?

What really scares me is when i google parts only, 'parts wanted ads' come up first. Some of it is the same stuff I'm (would be) looking for. Any advice out there or should I run? I'm not rich and would be building this in my spare time for my wife and I's business. Time that I don't have, but let's face it, having an excuse to have something 'for the business, honey!' would be just fine.

2. hoodprop

hoodprop

My friends just a 50 suburban. They are awsome. Hard to find parts.

3. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

I have a 50 GMC Suburban.
    As long as the body is good everything is the same as the pick up trucks.

4. Jonmoore7

Jonmoore7
    from Killeen,TX

Ok, this is a 50 gmc as well. Should've put that in there I suppose. OK, but the rear turn signal lenses aren't the same, and I've never seen the front signals mounted on the front fender like this as well. Thought it may be a GMC Suburban thing.

5. Muleman100

Muleman100

I just ratted a 57 Burb and you can still find a lot of repop parts for everything but body panels. I had my side windows made but doors and eveything forward is the same as pick ups. Yes they are rare and great to own. Go for it and make it your own.

6. Jonmoore7

Jonmoore7
    from Killeen,TX

Ok,guys I think I'm gonna do it. If it all goes south I'm blaming each of you. MWahahahaha, mwahahaha

7. I think my old suburban didn't have turn signals in back. The taillight flipped down when you lower the lower rear door. The Suburban had clamshell rear doors like a station wagon, but some had doors like a panel truck.

8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a '53 Travalall that there are virtually no parts for. The sheet metal was all that was there and it wasn't too rusty.
    I cut down a late model F-350 4X4 to a 115" wheelbase and went to making the firewall mods. It has a 6.9 diesel (that is an IH item for Ford) and will go highway speeds, oh and it has A/C now so the wife will go along too.
    The thing that happened was after I got it finished and started to take it out guys would see it and that it was missing trim parts and things that they had squirrled away. I had fabricated the rear bumper with tail lights for instance, as I didn't have the light housing and brackets. Someone noticed that and gave me brackets and housings. Picked up hard to find parts that way. You will have the advantage that all the glass is flat and a truck windshield will fit.
    If I were you, I'd go for it right now!

LJ

Attached Files:

9. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Wow, that Travelall is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Finding parts is half the fun.

In 1950, turn signals would have been after market add -ons, so you are free to use whatever you like in that department.

There are a lot of parts available for those trucks. As you know, only the carryall parts are unique. It is kind of an ideal situation, becuase you have a rare vehicle with most of the parts being supported, cheap, and readily available.

If you can't find a good gas tank out of a burb or a panel, a good shop can fix or custom build just about anything. Also, since the trucks had the tank in the cab, there are a lot of aftermarket relocation kits to mounts a new tank between the frame rails. You would just have to adapt the filler neck to yoru suburban body.

Go for it.

I wish I still had this '58.

[​IMG]

11. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

[​IMG]If If your front turn signals are like these barrels on top of the fender, they are pretty generic. If plastic lenses are acceptable to you, they shouldn't be too expensive to replace.

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

Can't find parts? CUSTOMIZE!
    No turn signals available? make something else fit?
    No gas tank? Will a Mustang tank fit?

13. TRod

TRod

I have a '52 GMC Carryall. Mechanical stuff is easy. Body is tough. Here is what everyone is looking for:
    1. 3rd row seat
    2. 2nd row seat
    3. back window garnish molding (inside and out)
    4. Clam shell doors and related parts

If it is missing any of these parts you can be looking for some time.

14. mcbay

mcbay

That is Cool :cool:

15. Jonmoore7

Jonmoore7
    from Killeen,TX

Here it it guys. I've purchased it, note the rear folding bench seat. Also, he threw in some bucket seats out of an early 60's suburban. So, I'm not going to go with a bench in the front.

Attached Files:

16. You won't regret it. I'm amazed how easy parts are to get as there was so many of the trucks made. The burb specific stuff just comes up over time tho.

17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on your purchase. Looks good, real good. You didn't say that it was a GMC, gonna love that grill!
    I think that they had a 1/3, 2/3 front seat originally and the 1/3 seat on the passenger side folded up under the dash to access the back.
    I used bucket seats 'cause you need to be able to step through the front to the back. Able to do this with out a console, that is the way to go.
    You will enjoy this one as when was the last time you went to a show/meet and saw a 'burb there?

To everyone that commented on the Travelall, thanks for the kind words
    I really like the lines and looks of the Suburbans better in the year.

LJ

18. camcb

camcb

Cool find! There's one of those sitting in front of a local antique store rusting away. It was used as the "short bus" by a nearby school system. I'll have to get a photo of it.

19. desotot

desotot

Neat! I didn't realize they had a sideways rear bench, is there one on each side?

20. The sideways seat is probably an add on. I never saw one in a stock suburbam

21. Jonmoore7

Jonmoore7
    from Killeen,TX

No, I live just outside of Ft. Hood. It's an old military troop hauler. Most likely some kind of medical service but not an ambulance. History on it is vague, but it has the military numbers on it. The guy I got it from 'rescued' it from the gov. scrapyard. The bench may have been put on here after the fact, but it's certainly as old as the rest of the vehicle. And the leather on it is still good. But this model wasn't produced for civilian use I'm pretty certain of that. Good thing is that it looks as if the bench is the only military alteration on it.

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

the truck and car shop
    Jim Carter
    Classic Parts
    Brothers
    Chevys of the 40s

23. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Welcome to the club. Parts arent horrible but you just need to be patient. Worst thing i had to find for mine were the burb/panel truck frame brackets (po did a chassis swap and ditched the original chassis). Window parts etc are out there but are spendy.

24. RatPin

RatPin

Yep IH guys are that way. I can't tell you how many times I've had guys give me impossible to find parts I needed and not take any payment for it. Sometimes they even shipped heavy items and still refused payment. I think it's because we all know how special and rare the brand is and want to pay it forward. Keep the tradition alive.

Your T-all looks awesome!

25. elhippie64

elhippie64
    from albuq NM

I Repop and sell mid an rear frames for these burbs, I also have a almost complete clam door setup for sale of anyone is interested (with hard to find good top hinges)

They Repop the gas tank (Jim Carters sell them)

I also might pick up a 52' parts burb with good window trim.

26. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

That rear seat looks awesome! How practial to have optional seating and to have it fold out of the way to haul stuff.

27. BIG PORT JIMMY 6

BIG PORT JIMMY 6

39 Chevy car tail lights are factory accessory tail lights on panels and burbs. They mount below the body line. Jay

28. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

I am building two of them a 1951 for a customer and a 1953 for my wife. you can see progress on my web page N2hotrods.com