Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by homemadehotrod, Feb 5, 2013.

1. flthd31

flthd31

You've made an unbelievable amount of progress in a short time.
    As already suggested, the Model A front cross-member is the way to go.
    A little more finesse in the finish grinding would also help. It looks like your just roughing the welds down with a hard wheel.

2. 19-c

19-c

I agree Its amazing how far you have come. I know that we cautioned you against painting a frame right away but I don't see the harm in cleaning one up and shooting with primer. The middle cross member is nice but I still think each customer and each build will dictate what crossmember is used. Also engine and trans placement will affect crossmember placement. A lot of times in a build situation the middle crossmember is someting that will not be set in stone until the motor and trans are mocked up in the frame. just my 2 cents

3. 52stude43

52stude43

wow , you only have 2 jobs , I need your deal , HAHA:D:D:D

4. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

yah. 19-c you hit it on the head. i was just talking to 52stude43 and we both said that alot depends on the X member.,, engine, tranny, type of brake setup, quite a bit actually. we even talked about getting an old core with a tranny to use for mock up if i am going to go to the extent of center X members.. if i go that far then i could just as well install the motor mount and tranny mount depending on what people wanted. just thinking out loud here. not saying thats what i would do but it would be an option

5. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

What gives , I think he is doing a great job . Are you jealous or is it because the Sun doesnt shine in your world . :rolleyes:

6. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

round 3. ding ding

7. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Agreed.

You've done a hell of a job so far.

8. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

very much appreciated. thanks

9. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

the progress that you have made in such a short time shows how talented and determined that you are, Great Job. I really think the center section that you installed looks very stout, after looking at the pictures that were posted of the center section I was just wondering how one would do the brake setup or brake/clutch setup if using a standard transmission? Could a off the shelf unit be used or would one have to do a prefab one ?

10. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

to be honest i dont know. that X member is just something i threw in there to see what it would look like. guess i was just bored last week end and needed something to do. just experimenting really

11. daddio211

daddio211

If this is just experimenting I'd love to see what you do when you have a plan!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

12. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

working on it. going to take a little bit though

13. raven

raven

Man you have nothing to be ashamed about with your frame.
    Most original Deuce frames are not 100% perfect anyway and those used on A and T coupes are modified to suit.
    When I get to the point of working on my coupe, I'll be talking to you.
    r

14. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

just to let you guys know when i get the roadster body from verno i think i will start a new build thread for the roadster frames,hope to get started soon. should be alot of fun

15. 19-c

19-c

I will be subscribing to that!

16. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

Guess I missed where you're getting a roadster body to use. An A or what? And like 19-c,who loaned you the rails to copy, I'll be following your progress. (Thinkin a lot of guys are!).......How bout a 26/27 T on 32 rails too?

17. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

verno30 is going to ship me a 27 roadster to use and 19-c has already let me use a set of rails. i just owe both of them a frame for helping me out. it will be a 27 roadster on 32 rails.. ... i also have a new center X member i cut out and put together quick after work. you guys will have give me your opinion when 19-c puts them on for me.

18. 19-c

19-c

Posting pics for Homemadehotrod per his request

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      65 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      67.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      59.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      72.1 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      61.3 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      63.6 KB
      Views:
  19. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

20. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Dude, you are an inspiration.:thumbup:

21. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

NICE lookin center! And I've got a 27 coupe--- So now----You really got my attention!

22. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

you will have to follow the thread i start for the 27 roadster on 32 rails

23. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Your latest frame is looking alot better than the others. I like your new X member design, the only problem I see with it is You should keep the top all even, So there are no floorboard issues. Also position of the left front leg is critical, As you have to fit it in with a clutch and brake assembly. keep up the good work.

24. Avgas

Avgas

Homemadehotrod, your going like a man possesed! great stuff, looking at your streetrod style crossmembers in post 258 and feel that if you have any rake on the chassis then the tailshaft angle will get plenty ugly, maybe time to get a rolling chassis together! cheers Wayne

25. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

ok guys i need a little help. i was wondering if anyone can give me some dimensions. im kind of hoping someone has this setup already . i want to set up my frame for a SBC with TH350. i need to know what the dimensions are from the center of the front cross member to the motor mounts. then from the center of the front cross member to the tranny mount. i know all these are different depending on the engine and tranny that are being used but i am going to start possibly building a roller. im going to be going with the center X member that is not in the car.(not the tubular)

26. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

From the center of the front crossmember to the front of the motor mount tubes I usually make it about 13.5 inches. (based on short water pump and basic pulleys). Keep in mind you want to keep it as far forward as you can So as not to have to recess the firewall anymore than you have too. You need to use a block and trans case to setup your motor and trans mount, Aso a radiator if possible helps as well, Otherwise you are shooting in the dark here. there are alot of things to take into consideration, what water pump and fan assembly do you plan to run? basicly there is no set place, It really all depends on your total package as to where you should place motor and transmission mounts. Please do not take any offense to what I am about to say, but with all these very basic questions you have been asking, I have to wonder Are you messing with us? Or Did you just wake up one day and say, "I think I am going to build a 32 frame from scratch today" LOL......

27. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

you are correct. yes i just woke up one day and figured i would try to build one or 2 and see if it would work. isnt that usually the way it goes. i dont think i have heard to many people say that a guy walked up to me 6 years ago and say that 4 years from now you will start cowtown speed shop. no offense given or taken. im not a motor head and dont have piles of motors,parts, and bodies laying around to grab at my disposal so i have to ask questions. sorry

28. flthd31

flthd31

Maybe we’ve been a little too supportive. This question really does show that you might be starting to get in a little over your head.
    Cowtown is spot on in his advice about having motor and tranny available for mount location. Guys that rely on hand me down dimensions usually have problems down the road. Plus, the 350/350 combo really isn’t too popular on this forum.
    Your perimeter frame with an after market Model A front crossmember and rear spreader bar is about it, unless you are willing to become as you stated “a motor head and have piles of motors, parts, and bodies laying around to grab at your disposal”.
    One last thing, I didn’t think it needed mentioning until your last post. There is no castor in your front crossmember.

29. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

maybee i am in over my head, but you never know till you try. i enjoy the challenge. so i tell you what. this will be the last post on here i make and what you see for pics is all im going to share. see you guys down the road some where.

30. Don't let them run you off HMHR.

You may not be a pro builder but you're obviously not "in over your head". You've gone from 0 to a pretty damn nice frame in the time it would have taken most to decide if they really should try it.... & most would have chickened out.

The 350/350 may not be the most "popular" combination but it is - by far - the most utilized. Sure, every car is different but Pete & Jakes, So-Cal & several others are kicking out "standard" chassis every day. I imagine if you bought a pair of SBC motor mounts from any of them, they would be more than happy to provide some guidance on where to mount them.

Something to ponder though, your low-buck chassis is going to appeal to bucks-down builders - guys who probably would rather do their own motor/trans mounts, crossmembers, etc.... (Maybe more correctly, they wouldn't "rather" do those themselves but funds won't allow them to buy a complete chassis). Anyway, whatever the reason..... I think the more complete chassis you offer, the more your chassis costs. Squeek Bell was offering a perimeter frame a few years ago (may still be) for around $1800. A lot of people jumped on those. It was a pair of rails with front and rear crossmembers and it was the best deal going for the cost.

I guess what I'm saying is - Don't quit but also don't feel like you have to do it all. Dial in your rails and front and rear crossmembers and make some $$$ while offering an affordable foundation.

JH