Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Grandfathers Mass Collection......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kirk Wilmes, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

I thought I would share my Grandfather&#8217;s collection with you guys. He started collecting in the early 70&#8217;s and never quit until the day he passed away. He passed away in April, 2010. My Grandmother said she couldn&#8217;t stand to look at the cars so she wanted to sell them. Some of you guys may have seen them at auctions around the country listed under the Kizziar collection. I don&#8217;t really care to get into the details of how it all transpired, I just wanted to share the photos and some of the stories of how he acquired the cars along the way. I can&#8217;t begin to tell you how very fortunate I was to get to grow up around these amazing beauties&#8217; and learn so many things from him. I was able to purchase one of the cars back. It was my favorite car of the entire collection, a 50 Merc that was customized in the late 60&#8217;s (more on that car later). I will be adding more photo&#8217;s and a short description of each individual car up as I get time. Hope you enjoy. <O:p</O:p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Nice collection. I sure like that 50 ford convertable.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

31 Chrysler Imperial.jpg This is a 31 Chrysler Imperial that he restored. It was owned by the Walter P. Chrylser estate and driven for one of his daughters.

DSCF0015-1.JPG The 50 Merc is the car I bought back. I am currently in the middle of a body off deal with it. My brake job spiraled out of control in a hurry with this one (I will do a build thread on this car later). It has shaved handles, trunk and emblems have been shaved. The hood has been louverd but the coolest thing about the car is the 324 Rocket engine. It had a single four barrell on it when I bought it back but it now has four 97"s on it but I kept the original OD three speed column shift.

4. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

Thanks. The 50 Ford convertible was his high school car. I have a pretty cool picture of it of him in high school. He worte a letter to hte editors of Car and Driver (still have the letter also) telling them they may want to feature his car because of the things he had done to it.

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Nice! Keep the pictures and stories coming!!

6. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

35 Auburn.JPG 35 Auburn Dash MPH Plate.jpg
    He had a thing for Cord's and Auburn's He went to the Aurburn-Cord-Duesenburg show in Auburn Indiana to show one of the Cords he had. He ended up coming home with it and this litt Auburn. Said he drank the most expensive Corona that day. I remember him telling me how hiw pocket book had a bigger hang over than he had.

36 Ford.jpg 36 Ford Eddie Meyer Engine.jpg
    This was another one of my favorites in the collection; a 36 Ford. He restored this car from the ground up. The best part was the original Eddie Meyer speed Equipments and the sound of the smtty's mufflers.

7. 2935ford

2935ford

In a word......WOW!

8. Dizzie

Dizzie

That '36 roadster is beautiful!

9. Boy, you "newbies" sure don't contribute much to this site!:D JK - sweet collection!

10. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Truly amazing. I'm glad for you that you where able to keep one of the cars he had. Keep it in the family for as long as you can.

11. Man,I bet it was had to decide on just one car,,the 36 is beautiful. HRP

12. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

Haha thanks. Yeah I just renewed my alliance membership. I let it lapse by a couple days.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. Smokey2

Smokey2

Thanks for Sharon............Curious minds wanna' know MORE.
    :cool:

14. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Ill be watching this thread I wish I grew up with family members loving cars but no such luck the only story I have is that Carroll Shelby personally came by my dads work place in Ft. Worth Tx 1968 I think trying too sell him a Shelby cobra and he drove around the block a couple of time and told Carroll Shelby it was too loud and didn't buy it. :^(

15. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

Emotionally it was a bitch to try to decide on one car. I would have bought all of them if I could have. The ol' abnk account had a little to say about what to purchase. The 36 Ford was bought by Sam Pak of Ft. Worth. He has some dealerships down there and a pretty bitchin collection of cars. I think it is open to the public.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

17. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a beautiful collection. Your a lucky grandson.

18. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Wow, your gradfather had incredible taste in vehicles. I am happy that you were able to obtain a piece of the collection.

19. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Man what a childhood that must have been.

20. robertsregal

robertsregal

awesome collection !!

21. to bad grandpa didnt deed them all to you. i love my grandma, but no way i would have let her get ride of all of em'.

22. Nice! Thanks for the memories! That 36 is too much! Same Eddie Meyers stuff on my flathead.

23. luciomduran

luciomduran

24. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for posting the photos anf history on the cars. The '32 Chrysler and Auburn Boat Tail would have been my picks. Bob

26. couverkid

couverkid

Wow that is a amazing collection your grandfather had.

27. TexasDart

TexasDart

Were you at the Mecum in Dallas...I talked to a relative about his cars. There were some nice ones there.

28. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Man O' Man...it's a car guys treasure trove !!! Congrats on the Merc. I'd a begged Granma for that 36 roadster too !!

29. Fenders

Fenders

My first car - in high school - was a 49 Ford convert... sure didn't look that nice.
    Your gramps had good taste in cars.

30. I know there's at least one member who will disagree, but if given the choice of any early V8 Ford, I would pick the 36 Roadster. To my eye, it is the high water mark in prewar Fords.