Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project 333 [Half Evil] a Mid Engine Roadster DragCar started finally.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Being outside give the car a whole new look, Looks fantastic , Dave, Here's a pic to keep you movtivated, If I remember right this was Rex Stevens replica of the Speed sport car , his First pass at K C !987,,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I never seen that pic of the SpeedSport II................That car has a longer wheelbase than the original or mine.......and it should be longer !....My neighbor walked over soon after I pushed my car outside .....and only said '' Something really wrong w/ you''....then walked back to his yard....and the other neighbor walked over and just said ''Looks dangerous''.............and walked away........Littleman

3. Paul Y

Paul Y

Dave,

It is a good job you are 'vertically challenged' looking at this on the floor.

I love your builds, keep at it and keep posting.

Awesome, I will go immediately and dig out my Littleman T Shirt to show my support.

P.

4. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

I shot that pic when they first took the car out, thought I had more but couldn't find them last nite,,, the neighbors out here said the same to me when I had the Comp coupe pushed outside for some pics:D,,,,, Tim Jones

5. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Looks awsome!
    BTW what size wheels, and tires do you have on the rear?

6. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Wheels are 15'' x 12''..........slicks, M/T 29.5 x 13.5-15 , tread width is 13''......Thanks, Littleman Dave

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just fragging awsome...

8. delcar

delcar
    from ca

AWESOME craftmanship! Just spent two hours looking at your build. Thanks for taking the time to build and post this. Great work Dave

9. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Good way to keep them in there own yards....lol

10. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Littleman,

Very nice work! Im also self taught, but I wouldn't mind getting some teachin from you! How are you cleaning up the insides of your holes, drum on an air grinder?

I love the crisp lines of your bracketry, plus your tube fitment is Perfect!

I would assume you dress the brackets up with a belt sander? I guess, what I'm getting at, can you give me some of your secrets? :cool:

I built a CNC Plasma cutter table, but will still need to dress up parts when the come off the table, due to a very minimal bit of angularity.

Your tig welds look Beautiful! Keep up the good work Man!

Also, I really dig the Henry J frontend I might have to do that with some spare rusty sheetmetal I have! Lastly, did you build the gantry or purchase it, if its the latter, where did you source it? Thanks!

11. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Beautiful!! And to top it all off I am sure, based on your trucks performance, this thing will be one fast mother!

12. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

[QUOTE - LITTLEMAN : My neighbor walked over soon after I pushed my car outside .....and only said '' Something really wrong w/ you''....then walked back to his yard....and the other neighbor walked over and just said ''Looks dangerous''.............and walked away........Littleman[/QUOTE]

The best compliment you could have ! You know you nailed it when it scares people and young children... :) :)

13. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

51 Hemi J,

It all depends on the hole I.D........the small ones I use a real small drum sander on my dremel.....The larger dia. holes I use the largest drum sander I have that will fit in the hole mounted in a drill press..I hold the bracket by hand and work it until I see little to no imperfections...........All brackets are cut with my cheap converted bandsaw that started life as a bandfiler.........I do not own a plasma cutter as of yet.......all my brackets start life as a poster board template......I will play w/ several design ideas until the one that fits everything I am after and the idea that talks to me wins......I have a ton of sharpies on hand !.....I use a Powermatic disc/belt sander to dress all the edges I can get to.....I always try to get all the imperfections out....all the bandsaw marks ect.......I try to set a high standard for myself...and try the best I can......I know everything I can see...someone else can see...

As far as my welding......trust me there are plenty of welds on this car I wish I could have back !....I really have no clue what I am doing.....all I know for the most part...each time I make something I generally get a little better......This is the first time I am welding allot of round tubing.........Looking forward to building my front engine dragster chassis nexted, it should turn out better than this one based on what I have learned building this...

So there are no real secrets.........if you know and can recogonize what nice is when looking at your own work as you do it........I dislike settling for something less than what I am shooting for......that is the self torture part that sucks sometimes...I am far from perfect...all one can do is try their best.......if you want to get better...that is something someone chooses to do.......

The gantry I bought off a friend.....

The Henry nose was from a hammered welded together front end that was toast..off a gasser I had awhile back.....that ended up turning into the Monza-J......another learning experience...that helped get me to what I can do today.......My goal early on was ...I wanted to have the ability to build or fab anything I could envision or put on paper...probably by the time I am unable to hold a tool in my hand...I will acheive only part of that goal............Alway's learning .........Littleman

14. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Finally found some scales to borrow...........Thanks !....you know who you are.....I built this chassis on the heavy side.........but am surprised it weights 1,225 w/ me sitting in it......still need to add the weight of the rotating assembly and a converter and battery....w/ that said it should come in under 1,500 lbs. w/ me in the driver seat....Real happy w/ that..........The rears at the moment look to have 64% sitting on them and the fronts @ 36%..........The car sits @ 1,078 w/o me, added 8 j-bends to get the header weight, placed the rear calipers on the rear tires sat the chute and fire bottle on the chassis as well.The rest of the body work will not amount to much........now...if I could lose say 15 lbs.........time for a diet......Littleman

[​IMG]

15. I agree.

I would LOVE to take that through the drive-through at Dairy Queen!!! :D

16. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Looking for any thoughts on the correct way I should mount the chute and place the main anchor....I am thinking the location of the chute is not the issue but the anchor point is....I see most are mounted on the bottom rear side of the rearend housing.......Any impute is welcome......I would like to avoid any lift in the rearend during employment....Thanks, Littleman Dave

17. I have been told inline with the camshaft Dave.

18. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I spoke to Deist Safety who advised in line with the crank. I was speaking to them regarding my Belly Tank and Altered on Fuel...

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

This can be fun--

anchor a long cable from the bottom of the chassie and to a high point of the chassie. Using a pully "BLOCK" with a hook install onto cable. Hook the chute tether onto the block. Have sombody tow the car with the chute out and sombody off to the side to see where the natural pull is located. Affix chute tether to that point

20. That is a great experiment idea!

21. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Thanks for the ideas on the chute mounting point...........Making up the chassis tag...I think I am ready to get my NHRA and IHRA Inspections for 7.50 cert...........Littleman

22. coupemerc

coupemerc

I like the dreracecar "fun" approach but if you want to science the crap out of this check out the link below to find the height of you car's center of gravity. If the chute mount is above the Cg it will tend to lift the front end. Below the Cg tends to lift the rear.

http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=22

23. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Whats the fun in that???

24. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Just back from having the Chassis Teched..............It now has both NHRA and IHRA stickers good to 7.50..........Now I can place it back onto the table and get busy again...They really liked what they saw.......I was a fuzz nervous...Dave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. greaser

greaser

Great to be over that hurdle! CONGRATS!!

26. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)WHOOP !:eek: The legend continues.:D:cool:

27. Saxxon

Saxxon

Only a 7.50 cert ?? Based on the materials used and the design I'm curious as to what was missing that "only" gave you a 7.50 cert. Not that you want to go much faster than that. Just curious...

28. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Saxxon, I could have easily built it for a faster Cert.............But really was only shooting for 7.50 from the start......This car when sitting in it feels like a big go-cart........you remember how fast it felt when you had the fun pedal smashed going as fast as you could in a go-cart....and how it felt so much faster than it really was....I think that is how this car will be.....if you go 7.50 in it.....you may not want to do it again.........We shall see...need to finish it first......Dave

29. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)When can we expect it's maiden run?:cool::D

30. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

On my first pass for an NHRA license in my rear engine dragster , I thought "I hope that wasn't to fast" but when I got my timing ticket it was 73 MPH! Speed seems faster when you are that low. I got used to 172!