Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aussi Speed Week & Road Trip in 32 Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cully33, Mar 6, 2013.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck, I hope she holds up for you it's been one hell of a trip! No matter what, it sure beats the hell out of your average vacation!

Doc.

2. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Good luck Cully! Old cars are tough, baby it as much as you can and get home safe!!!

3. mow too much

mow too much

Hope you make it home without anymore problems........That's been quiet an adventure.

4. We keep on cruising down the road stopping for fuel only gearbox still holding out as is the clutch, sun starts going down we should have been pulled up somewhere by now with camper set up enjoying a cold beer. But no this will be an all nighter, as it gets dark I put the headlights on, oh no what now the right hand headlight has come loose and is wobbling all over the place the light is driving me crazy as it must be to the oncoming trucks, I decide I will put up with it until the next fuel stop, don't want to push my luck stopping and starting more than I need to. The next fuel stop is a Coolgardie 140 km ( 125 miles ) finally get there headlight will not tighten up has become worn on the ball, out comes the duck tape for a temporary repair anything to stop the wobbling. We take off again full tank of fuel and a chicko roll each thats dinner tonight, surely nothing else can go wrong, but I did not count on mother nature, lightning all around and then the skys open up I'm in the middle of a thunder storm with no windscreen wipers and trucks bearing down with there headlights blinding me, I have my face about a inch from the windscreen trying to see the road. The storm finely passes and we carry on into the night, start coming into Perth about 3 am Sat morning, I managed to judge all the traffic lights green light all the way ya, finally pull into the driveway at 4.30 am in the morning we had made it home, total exhausted. Distance travelled today 1,780 km ( 1,106 miles ) for me and the misses its a quick shower and crawl into bed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  5. Wake up about 9am only a few hours sleep, but a lot to do don't want to waste all day in bed camping gear needs to be unloaded and cleaned as does the coupe.

Home at last the old 32 pulled though and got us home.

[​IMG]

Duck tape can fix anything.

[​IMG]

6. Sunday I put the 32 in the shed pull the motor and box to check out the damage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gearbox apart all gears have some damage but the cluster gear is completly stuffed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Cool,you made it home!

One of the best threads ever on the hamb!
    And with a happy end

My longest flathead trip was 1000 miles so far,
    Nothing compared to you and the misses

Thanks for the story

8. Our road trip to the salt and back has come to an end, I would like to thank the misses for taking hundreds of photos of this trip as my words would be nothing without the pictures.
    I would also like to thank all who have read and enjoyed this thread especially all the Hambers who have left positive posts.

Would I do it again HELL YES. It was a hell of a ride but we loved every bit of it.

One last note myself and the misses will be flying to the US in August to go to Bonniville and also taking in some of hot August nights in Reno if any of you Hambers are going let me know would be good to catch up with some of you I'm allways up for a beer.

[​IMG]

9. An all-nighter with busted teeth, a wobbly lamp & trucks, wildlife & green lights- far out. Thanks
    Cully33 for the bitchin' yarn & your hard work posting your wife's amazing shots. Thread of the year so far.

10. This is my last words you have all seen the coupe its pretty basic still has the original interior no carpet or mod cons, only just got some floor mats of the misses this last Xmas, anyway if it did have a stereo this song would have been up loud. Some of you older hot rodders will know it and I'm am sure as you read the words you will hear the music in your heads.

Get your motor runnin'
    Head out on the highway
    Lookin' for adventure
    And whatever comes our way
    Yeah Darlin go make it happen
    Take the world in a love embrace.
    Fire all your guns at once
    And explode into space
    Like a true natures child
    we were born, born to wild
    we can climb so high
    I never wanna die.

The End

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  11. mow too much

mow too much

And you found it.;)

12. LabRat

LabRat

Inspirational , Thanks for Sharing !

13. Great story. Great thread. Thanks for bringing us along!

14. Yep, that was epic. Thanks guys for the ride.:):):)

15. HiSpoke

HiSpoke

I am totally exhausted!..... Thanks for the travel story and give your misses a hug!

/Jorgen

16. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

Cully,

you are most definitely "HARD CORE". Thanks for the ride along.

17. Whenever I would hear that song I would have a picture of Captain America and his buddy flying down the hiway but next time I will have a vision of a black 32 5w in a storm with a wobbly headlight an no wipers.....Awesome!

18. James Curl

James Curl

That was some great adventure, beautiful scenery, great photos and a good story. Enjoyed it very much and driving them is the only way, that is what they were made for.

19. Cully33,
    Thank's for the great road trip to someplace I have never been & probley will never get to. Plus taking it in your 32 with the wife has been a blast. Great photos and story. One of the best I have ever followed on the HAMB.
    I will be looking for you next Aug. on the salt at speed week. I make the trip with the Rolling Bones boys. So stop in our pit and I will buy you a cold beer and shake your hand for doing one hell of a road trip in a great old flathead powered 32.
    You need to put those old broken gears up on the wall of fame in your shop.
    THANK'S for the ride........

20. And the award for Co-Pilot of The Year goes to................your wife!! Hats off to her for putting up with this epic road trip. (But you had better get it in writing that she will actually REPEAT it with you!)

I should say, too, that our Great American Road Trips pale by comparison to yours.....

21. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Thanks for the ride.
    You and the misses are hardcore for sure, Enjoyed the trip.

22. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Great thread....thanks for taking me along. See you at Speed Week.

23. This has got to be one of the best threads I've followed on the H.A.M.B. I enjoyed following along and very well written. Thank you for sharing with us, cully, and hats off to your lovely young lady. Cheers.

24. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

We had fun doing the tech inspection on the taxi at Bonneville. Glad they ran well. Always my dream to go to lake g.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. mow too much

mow too much

Cully, if there is such a thing as reincarnation I want to come back like you, like the old saying, a good friend will come down and bail you out of jail.....but a better friend will be sitting next to you saying ''Damn that was FUN'':D
    I've always been the guy that's been too cautious and worries about everything.:confused:
    Thanks for sharing your adventure with those of us that don't venture to far off the porch:eek:.

26. Jeez Cully, I'm KNACKERED!! Thanks for the ride, and hats off to the guv'nor, she's a keeper for sure.
    Charlie.

27. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

28. Sanford Graham

Sanford Graham

Awesome trip, beautiful scenery, Great looking ride , what fun, even with troubles, hope you got them sorted out ok. Thanks for sharing, your weather sounds like here in our summer months, southern, Illinois.. sandy

29. Wardog

Wardog

Goddamn! You've had me waiting for updates like a woman waits for days of our lives! Cully you are a giant amongst men and your coupe is a proven work horse. But you're wife deserves the gold star for this trip.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

30. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

hey cully - thanks for sharing, amazing trip in a kool coupe , and your misses let u post 2 photos of her, shes a keeper ! thank again 66tintop