Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a trap door in my apache cab floor.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Hey fellas, im wrappin up the sheetmetal work on my apache build. I have a "vette" style manual master cylinder from speedway mounted on the framerail under the cab. Anyone have a solution for a door i can put in the cab floor to access the master if i need to...... ? Im thinking maybe a bed floor fuel door might work. But there expensive, and i dont believe there waterproof. id rather fab one, but im having troubles coming up with a design that will seal and be waterproof. Heres a pic of the brake master...

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

2. I just cut a piece of sheet metal and glued a piece of inner tube to it and added a couple of sheet metal screws. HRP

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

go to a salvage yard and check out other vintage vehicles. Many have a large round rubber plug that fits tightly. Grab the plug, measure the size of the hole. Bore a same sized hole in your floor, done!

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Bob, my truck has a hole in it the floor for the stock brake setup, but the new master is a lot bigger. pretty much all the stock holes ive seen for this have been way to small to get through and open the master top

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Rock Valley has stainless steel access doors which is what I used for the M/C in my '32 Ford. My '52 Chevy has a disc/drum master which put it underneath the seat, so I have a remote reservoir on the firewall.

6. servi53

servi53

my 56 chevy has a rubber plug, and my 52 m37 power wagon has a plate with 2 screw locks holding it down good luck with your project

7. jarhead

jarhead

Maybe a old electrical breaker box? Cut the innards out?...

[​IMG]

8. is the stock hole big enough to fill the master cylinder? if so , just fill from the top...but to take the cap off get to it from underneath

yes, not very convenient

i've done that on a few `40 fords with stock floors with a small hole. the original stock hole lined up with one chamber of the new dual master cylinder and then i drilled a 3/4" hole so you can fill the other chamber with a small funnel. a plastic cap then fills that hole

9. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

I bought something like that from Speedway. Might be worth a look.

10. Mdbtyhtr

Mdbtyhtr

they make remote fill canisters and they fill through the top of the master cylinder

11. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Another option might be too look into some of the floor mount battery access panels.
    They're not as large as you might think, plus recessed handels, spring loaded latch system. I'm thinking along the line of a 48-53 chev, easily available, cheap.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why would it need to be waterproof? It's not a boat. Most cars had access plates for brake master cylinder, DeSoto and Chrysler had 2 more for trans and Fluid Drive.

They had a hole in the floor with a metal plate that fit over it, held down with a Philips head screw. The hole had a stiffening ridge or flange around it and so did the plate. The plate sort of hooked into one side of the hole, the other side held down with a screw. There was nothing complicated or expensive about it. A plate with 3 or 4 screws would be easy to make but a little harder to remove.

13. sedanbob

sedanbob

14. filling from above means pulling out carpet and when i finally get mine laying tight and flat i sure don't want to pull it up for any reason. use a syringe and some tubing from below. most people don't even disturb the brake system unless their is a leak.

15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ive already used a 47 to 53 door for my battery mounted under the cab. Its too big for the master. As far as waterproof goes, i guess it doesnt have to be totally sealed, i just dont want shit coming up through the door and under the carpet. Also, if i can make something super clean, i would like to bolt it down on top of the carpet so i dont have to peel the carpet back to get at it

16. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Heres a pic of the battery door, little to big for the master

Attached Files:

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Check out the rubber plug for the fire wall on an MGB thay are 4x21/2. You can get them from LMC.

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Saltflats, im diggin that....

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I can try and send a pic if you need.

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Chryslers had carpet that ran from the front of the front seat, back to the back seat. The front carpet was separate. It ended at the front of the front seat and overlapped the rear carpet by 4".

When you need to check the master cylinder you roll the carpet forward. To get at the other plates on the other side of the car, you roll the carpet back from the firewall.

No doubt, they did away with this for a reason. I would use a remote reservoir if possible. You might want to put a removable plate in the floor with screws if you need access to change the master cylinder.

21. wildwest

wildwest

I have used breaker or fuse box lids before, they can look pretty clean if you find the right one. If you do a little snooping, there are some old ones that are nice and small.

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I googled the mgb plug. Looks like itll work well. For the carpet i was thinking about using these little snap things that modern vw's use to hold floor mats in place. Ill just make small panels for the battery door and master cylinder and finish em off with a nice binding. The snaps will be underneath the panel and unseen

23. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

don't cut up your carpet. Simply unscrew the sill plates when you need to have access. Afterall, it won't happen often.

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes, instead of just jumping for help, if you sit down and survey the situation over a cool beverage a solution for making a door will pop in your head.

For the most part, these cars and what we need to do are simple. Just think about it for a bit. Like the saying, "It's not rocket science. Kids were doing this shit 60 years ago."

25. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

cut the hole the size you want get a piano hinge a small piece of steel and some weatherstrip from home depot cut the door from the piece of metal 3/4 on an inch bigger than the hole weld the piano hinge at 3 points each end and the middle,,, round the corners weld the hinge to the floor,, drilll it out for a dzeus fastener or just a phillups screw glue on some weatherstrip from home depot your done,,, i made mine out of stainless and put it down over the carpet but its in just the right place to rest my heel on when im driving so it makes for a carpet protecter /heel plate

26. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

There's all size metal access panels for valves etc. available for construction purposes. Check your local sheet metal shop (duct work,HVAC drain pans) they should have them starting @ 6"x6" on up. Flanged with small half turn smooth latches. ImageUploadedByTJJ1362966369.054667.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

They are also at most Big Box Building Supply stores. Also most drywall
    supply places will have them.