Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this Engine Anything Special??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Heckler, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Heckler

Heckler
    from Austin, TX

I manage surplus property at the University of Texas at Austin, and this generator is sitting out in our yard.

Is it anything special? What is it?

Thanks!

Ben

Attached Files:

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Looks like an International V8...Up to 392 cube I think..

3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

4. Heckler

Heckler
    from Austin, TX

Not sure if it runs. Well obviously it doesn't at the moment....but not sure if it has recently either.....

5. T Fritz

T Fritz

I do not think it is a Binder (international) of the 345-392 size. They had a central thermostat housing and a single upper hose.

Fritz

6. hippy killer

hippy killer

there should be a casting symbol on there somewhere

7. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

Looks like an International Harvester 549, common for power units like that.

8. after a quick google , i think we have a winner

scroll down to the gray engine

http://www.jobbersinc.com/ih.htm

9. its a LEROI industrial engine. not any good but for a truck or what is doing now.

10. Yup, had the 884s in some trucks. Just a big heavy duty industrial V8.

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yup, Onan generators used them quite a bit and that looks like an Onan. Probably hard to find parts for if you want to overhaul it. Maybe Egge or Hatch & Kirk may have stuff.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It is what it looks like, a big generator with an International engine. These were VERY expensive when new but that was a long time ago. Today everything is diesel. Gas powered generators are not in demand.

But someone will want it who wants a big generator at a bargain price. The new ones are so costly, one like yours for a few hundred, or maybe a thousand dollars looks like a bargain. Of course a lot depends on condition, parts and repairs are also very expensive.

The best way to sell it and the most convenient would be some kind of auction. Either a locally advertized sealed bid auction or, if you want to go to the extra trouble, Ebay.

If you have the service records this will be of interest to a purchaser. A well maintained unit with low hours that has been maintained by the book, is more desirable.

Would also suggest you not monkey with it or try to start it unless you have an expert heavy equipment mechanic on staff. Someone who doesn't know what they are doing, can ruin a piece of equipment like that. Personally I would rather buy one not running, condition unknown, than one that some unqualified person had messed with.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I worked on a building where we installed a chiller for A/C powered by natural gas in a building in DC. That was in the early 60s I remember the older guy stole the plug wires off of it. They must have been Packard 440 cause he wanted them for his hot rod. It was an binder too.:D