Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shrinking disc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Supernasty, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Supernasty

Supernasty

Does anyone know where to get shrinking discs in Canada?

Thanks
    Robert

2. I know Offshore Auto Body Supplies in Lethbridge was bringing them in for a while (403)328-2244

3. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

Sunchaser tools in CA, don't know if he ships to Canada.

4. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Search on eBay. I have a couple different ones and am not a fan of the Sunchaser disc.

5. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Check out Wray Schelin's Ebay store. Wray is on the east coast in Stafford Springs, CT.

He's one of the first guys out there with the shrinking disc that everyone's copied. Wray also has a video on how to use a shrinking disc.

6. Yep. I ordered some disks from Ray not long ago along along with a DVD. No problem shipping to Canada.

7. I picked up some scraps and made mine.

8. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

That's where I got mine, very pleased with it.

9. bct

bct

i use mine to rest my torch on when i want to shrink something.

10. Rusty anarchist

Rusty anarchist
    from Edmonton

Funny this comes up I spent some time researching this, this morning. Apparently an old worn out flapper disc will do the trick as well.

11. I think it makes so much noise it scares dent out......i ordered one from sunchaser yrs ago...not sure hes still in business...
    Be happy to dig mine out of storage send it to you....

12. HamD

HamD

Mine was an eBay buy.
    Bought an 8 or 9" ?
    Wish I had bought a smaller one to hang on my 4" grinder for smaller dents.

bct: by hang your torch on it, are you telling us pre-heating it is part of a helpful technique?

13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I used a sunchaser years ago, goggled it when I needed to buy one. He is still in business, but no longer produces them. He is into giving seminars and the like. I got into a real longwinded talk with him on the phone, he has a very bad attitude, and I finally had to hang up on him. I bought one from a place in bradshaw, NE, it works well, but is not like the original sunchaser. The one I got is from Wolfe Metalworking

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm not a body work guy but I have shrunk metal with the torch. I had to watch a You tube video to know what this disc dingus is. So the basic premise is a flat spinning metal disc that heats the high spots, followed by a quench? What's special about the Sunchaser that I couldn't make out of a hunk of steel?

Fender1325 likes this.
  15. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

No heating the disc would not help the process .He is just explaining the ignorance of someone too stuborn to use one of the most predictable and controlable tools out there .

The Sunchaser was supposed to quicken the results as with the ruffling on the disc would somehow smack down the dents while passing over them .

16. hippy killer

hippy killer

any pics

17. I could take pictures, but the're round pieces of stainless with a hole in the center. Not sure why anyone would pay much for one. The sheet metal shop gave me the scrap. Once in a while, depending on what the're making at the shop the will have round "drops". Couldn't be that much to have them punch a few.

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Tinbender, I think I can do that! What diameter and thickness about? Why stainless?

19. You just need to be really careful using ones that don't have a upturned lip on them as they have come apart in some instances. That is the reason John Kelly stopped making his. He had one come apart and he didn't feel it was safe to sell them anymore.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

20. BillyM

BillyM

I made one out of some light stainless - dissimilar metal prevents some galling - I have used it on my electric grinders, but the speed scares the crap out of me....and the inability to control the start, so lately I've been using mine on my air buffers - gives me a lot more speed control and piece of mind!

21. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Yeah man! lots of um in the 60s..............

Do the kids call 'um '' lids'' anymore?:D

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The one I bought from Wole's is stainless, formed to fit over a grinder backing plate. The sunchaser that I borrowes years ago fit in a high speed drill, and was tapered toward the center with edges in it. It kind of reminded me of the tamper proof screws that you see in restroom partitions

23. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Always start and stop a disc, with the disc in contact with the surface you're trying to shrink. NEVER freewheel a disc, especially a 9'' disc, and everytime you use one inspect for cracks. DO NOT USE A DISC WITH ANY CRACKS IN IT!

" Do not reach greedily for the Kool-Aid "

24. hippy killer

hippy killer

tinbender i would like to see how yous looks i have one that has a lip around the out side im guessing yours is flat did you do any thing for the arbor

25. I'll snap a pic next time I'm in the shop. No lip. We cut the last ones with a plasma, and dressed them with a file. I run them with a grinding disk the same diameter under them. I run them with a regular grinding disk backing pad. The pads are kinda sunk in the middle, and the shrinking disk conforms to this, when you tighten the nut. (18ga, don't know the hardness) We use a 6" disk at school on a pistol grip air sander, and a 8" on a 90*angle air grinder. These work great for modern cars, and smaller areas. Both of these run maybe 3000 rpm under load. I have a 11 inch disk on a old electric grinder, but I have that at home. Too dangerous and heavy for the students and modern cars. It hauls ass, and can destroy a panel if you dont know what your doing!
    They are defiantly dangerous, but so is a fiber grinding disk. (I'll have too take a picture of the one my son stuck in the shop ceiling!:eek: )Wear a face shield and don't position yourself or anyone else in line with the disk. I've never had a stainless disk come apart. I had one warp and start to show signs of tiny cracking after years of use. I tossed it and replaced it, and have two years or so on the new one.

26. bct

bct

no , just being a smart ass. nothing shrinks like a torch and a compressor full of cold air.

27. nali

nali

If so many people like those disks, they can t all be wrong ...
    And for the (many ) on a budget, buying a disk is less expensive then torches + bottles +gas. Assuming everyone has a grinder, of course :)

28. hippy killer

hippy killer

thanks for the info

29. Kinda, that was me, using stainless burner covers backed up with an old circ saw blade for strength. The covers were a little light as far as guage thats why I backed them up with something heavier.

30. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

Thanks Tinbender, good info. Approx. .030 thick?