Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help relocating a dip stick (always something)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chuckshomeservices, Mar 9, 2013.

1. chuckshomeservices

chuckshomeservices
    from mass

So I finally get the 350 Chevy that I put in my 53 up and running and I forgot about installing the dip stick. Not usually a problem but the exhaust manifold that I have to use due to steering box clearance is blocking the hole. So now what the hell do I do!!! And yes I know I am using a 350 Chevy in a Buick. And If I had big money and wasn't self employed I would of just gotten the old straight 8 motor and trans rebuilt but I don't. Any ideas anyone? Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

oops - post a pic of what you have now. for now, check a site like summitracing.com to help find what year engines have the dip stick on the side of pan that you need it to be on. lots on either side. then plan on replacing. likely someone here has what you need.

3. The new truck dipsticks are long. You can cut to fit maybe. I did a trans dipstick from a new truck. Cut it used heat shrink to hold it together to decide how ever thing needed to go. Then cut a hole in the heat shrink and tacked it together to test fit again.

4. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

I had the same problem. Bought an early block to rebuild and swap into my 85 burb. I noticed the same dipstick problem if I used the stock exhaust manifolds. I didn't want to run headers, or switch to the early manifolds with the earlier style air system. Every expert had an answer for me, but none of them worked. I went to a local chevy dealer for their answer, and they claimed it was easy with the right parts. I told them to just order me whatever I needed. Guess what? They never could find the right combo of parts. That block never went into the burb, but it runs great in my F1.

5. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

I don't know if you can use one but a early chevy II/nova V8 oil pan has the dipstick in the side of the pan.Only problem may be the sump is reversed in the nova pan.Not sure if this helps though,nova pans are not cheap anymore...

Steve

6. Since I can't see how much room you have above the dip stick hole in the block and the manifold I.m gonna guess a couple - 3" or so. My suggestion is to shorten a tube so it onl stick out of the block an inch and then shorten a dipstick accordingly. Might be tough to reach but how often do you need to...

Charlie

7. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

Lokar make a flexible one - kinda looks like a speed- o cable.

8. upspirate

upspirate

Had an idea....could you just plug the current hole, and weld or braze a dip-stick tube in the side of the pan like the mentioned Nova pan??

9. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Thats what I was going to suggest but again it would depend on space.

10. ev88f

ev88f

Here's what I did ( not entirely happy with this but it seems to work ok for now) and no pics so you'll just have to envision it.
    I took the tube out of the block, then I cut the top off my dipstick, I took an old Plymouth turnsignal switch stalk (picture a six inch stick with a thin knob at the end) welded it to the remaining dipstick. To seal it in the hole I took a rubber stopper and slid it over the stick. Trimmed it to fit the hole.
    Fill it up with oil and set your new lines on the dipstick.

Like I said, I'm not happy with this and it's a bitch to get the dipstick in under the manifold. But its better than putting a plug in the hole and not having any way at all to check it

11. chuckshomeservices

chuckshomeservices
    from mass

I literally have maybe 3/4 inch between the hole and the manifold. I would of put up a pic but it is way to tight to see. I am really diggin the idea about the oil tube brazed to the oil pan. I found an adapter from speedway that relocates the dipstick to the passenger side but it needs to be welded to the block.

12. upspirate

upspirate

Seems like I've seen a factory side tube in the pan like mentioned.They have a small doubler plate to help with strain on the pan also I believe

13. upspirate

upspirate

You could move it to whichever side there is clearance also

14. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I just bought an engine with a drivers side oil pan dipstick tube. They said the engine was from an early 80's chevy pickup. It comes out at a very forward angle so it might work for you.

Blue

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Where does the dipstick go on an old van? They had one about 3 feet long with a tube that came out in front of the engine.

I'm not saying you want a stick 3 feet long, but if it will get it past the manifold you can shorten it.

16. GREASER815

GREASER815

I'm not sure how high the oil comes up on there, could you just put two 90 degree fittings into the pan with a clear tube between them like alot of guys do for fuel and see your level?

17. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have a black Lokar Midnite series on my Olds. I needed it for clearance issues. Works good, high recommend

18. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

seems like 305's had tubes that went into the oil pan on the passenger side if my memory serves.

19. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Yes, 78,79 malibu

There is a Dorman part # which i can retrieve maybe tonight---to busy now (ok, i'm disorganzed and i have mental issues. Ok, are you happy now?) Or you can look it up yourself(ves).

There is also a GM part # but i think the only place to find it might be on ebay.

20. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Dorman part # 264-118

Here's a pic:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-264-118/

You can clearly see, if you blow up the picture, that there is a provision for the stick to go in the pass side.

gm part# is 464607, but you'll need junkyard luck to find that one.

Yay for me---i overcame procrastination---in a small way at least. i have SERIOUS mental issues.

P.S. Moroso has a pan that has a stick going directly into it.

P.P.S. i know all this because i had the same problem.

21. Forget speedy bill, go look at Summit racing. They have relocation kits that puts the dipstick right into the side of the pan. They used to run about 32 dollars so I am going to guess that are going to be in the 70-100 dollar range these days.

You are going to need to plug the original dipstick hole. A little soft plug will work for that.

22. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Id mark the pan down below the original dip stick hole ( to make sure the dip stick comes in between the crank throws like factory)

Pull the pan and drill a hole here maybe 1/64 " bigger than a tube you want to use, take a tapered punch and stick in the hole and bend it up so the tube will go in at an appropriate angle

braze a tube into the pan that the dipstick tube will fit into snuggly. Or you could just make this tube long enough to put a shorter dip stick in.

Attach a stiffenng strap or plate to it to bolt to the oil pan rail. Trangular plate that would bolt to two pan bolts would hold it all together good.

Attach a cool little handle to it and your done. Make it unique.