Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wood or ? garage wall pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Mar 9, 2013.

1. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I would use something with fire protection, if not and u have been welding , grinding or using a torch , use the 45 minute rule , after u have made any sparks , don't leave the shop until you have let anything of a spark smoulder out, ask maintenance mill rights about the 45 minute rule , I have heard it from those guys

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Dirt slinger, shop is bitchin! Not everyone is a fulltime metal faber, painter. The OP wanted ideas with uses of wood, may not be best for everyone.

3. Tcab

Tcab

I used 3/8' plywood painted 4' up and then 1/4" white peg board up to the ceiling.It is nice and bright also I can hang things just about any where.I used plywood on the bottom figuring a jack handel in use by an ammature, my kid,I could end up with holes.

4. johnboy94

johnboy94

I used R-panel roofing in the galvanized finish started in the metal area, as time and $$ allows I'm going to do the other walls. Blow it off its clean, less fire worries, and reflects light well.
    Johnboy.

Attached Files:

5. ^^^This, but I used white for better lighting. I don't like the limitations of pegboard.^^^

6. 5window

5window

I'm sure I have them,somewhere, but here's a brief view of one wall.

Attached Files:

7. That's cool!:) HRP

8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

How close is the garage to your house- Where I live if it is within 20 feet of the house
    than it must be covered within with firerock (5/8 sheetrock) or something with an equal
    fire rating. Sheetrock is the cheapest, easiest to install, quick to paint, and reflects light
    if painted a light color. Put a layer of chipboard or plywood behind it if you want to hang
    light items anywhere, or just mark your studs for heavier items.
    I would put more attention to wiring it fit your present and possible future needs than
    worrying about wall covering, much more difficult and expensive to change later especially when covered. Jim

9. just a tip if you have windows in the garage doors have lighting located directly over the windows when the doors is in the up position

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I lost all my toys in a garage fire so I tried to keep all the combustibles down. If your garage is attached to the the house, be sure to check with the building inspector. We are required to use 5/8" sheet rock on the wall at the house for fire protection. I brought the cinder block foundation up a foot higher than the recommended 4" curb because I knew I would be welding in there, the sparks would be rolling around in there and I got another foot of head room. I used 3 rows of 8" light fixtures. With the garage empty and the lights on I could get a sun burn with the light reflecting off of the drywall.:D If you ever have to sift through the ashes of a garage fire you will pay more attention to fire safety.

11. Dar73

Dar73

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have 1800 photos of mostly customs and a few traditional hot rods stapled to the walls. Good for inspiration.

13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Sheetrock is a great barrier to fire. Lighting sturck our shop one night and started a fire. We didn't loose a singe car, but they all would have been gone if it were not for the sheetrock. It wa sthat close to being a total loss.

[​IMG]

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

Chect you large mfg. plants for shipping crates

15. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

oh well cant find any good pictures , my garage is post and beam so when i had it built i told them to leave all the scraps , huge pile of stuff I cut all up square and then used on the inside walls after i insulated For the roof in garage I took home the boxes from machines we bought at work ( i had to pull out a ton of nails ) and on the top used playwood for a loft and on the cieling I screewed up the wood from work . months of work before i loaded with car stuff It is all Pine unfinished looks great

16. I built mt garage in '89 and has OSB on the rear wall with drywall on the sidewalls. I have oak chair rail on the side walls with 34 ounce burlap looking wall paper on the bottom...very durable. Haven't had to repair it yet. It takes a beating. I do mech work, body work, cut weld grind etc. No problems. I've painted the drywall portion one time(to match the color of my car)

17. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Built a shop for a friend who does wood working. ( no welding) I went to a cabinet material supplier in town and asked what they had that did not sell well, and ended up with 3/4" mahogany plywood for less than osb. We put spar varnish on it and it looked like a Chriscraft. I had built it with a 2' concrete wall, which we left unfinished, the 8' mahogany was vertically mounted, and we used white steel on the ceiling. Lots of light and looked great.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Same thing. Insulation, then OSB, then painted white. Nice that I can hang shit anywhere I want, which I have.

19. dollar for dollar nothing better than sheet rock. fireproof, sound deadening, cheap, repairable, paintable, available.

20. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

I have both....osb painted slate grey on the lower ( where heavy shit tends to hit it) and drywall up top, painted white with PVA primer...lots of light reflection and low cost, my other barn I did with 1/2 " plywood , and drywall, but the price of BC sanded one side is too much now, so OSB it was...Working good so far..Shawn

21. Mine are OSB. Unpainted but covered with all kinds of stuff.
    Later,
    Dick

Attached Files:

22. hippy killer

hippy killer

i in the same boat cant decide what i want to do is open studs now

23. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

5/8 sheet rock on walls and ceiling. Then do what ever you want, at least the fire won't get into the structual areas and collapse.

Its a lot easier to put out a fire when only the interior contents is burnning.

A friend had a wooden body shop, they were painting a car and left the building and the door catch caused a spark and everything inside was in flames within 5 seconds, wood walls, paper, paints and the car. Burnt to the ground with out a chance to save it.

24. Wall board and paint it white. Makes for nice bright working area. And if you put enough stuff on the walls you will never need to paint again:eek:

Attached Files:

25. Same here white and bright!

26. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I love peg board, love to hang stuff where I can see it. I leave the rafters open too, hard to heat but I am a country boy.

Attached Files:

27. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Sheetrock, with a skin of galvanized sheetmetal. Bright, easy to keep clean, takes a beating and asks for more.

28. Best check with the building code & fire marshal also on any electrical. do it right the first time to code if there are codes in your area. I have used OSB & dry wall on mine. The shop Has OSB & insulation & the garage has drywall & insulation. Both are painted white. I also have eve light panels that let in a very lot of light & hardly have to use electric lights. I also have two ceiling fans on the 12' high ceilings in the shop.