Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neighborhood hot rods what was in yours??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Mar 7, 2013.

1. My buddy posted pics of his dads 32 0n face book so I thought I would post them..On our street 3 doors down our neighbor Bob built this 32 sedan in his garage it had a 283 and was his daily driver..He sold it in the early 70's for $500 to pay for his daughters wedding! Kitty corner across the street our neighbor Butch had a 1935 ford pick-up with a full house flattie red metalflake paint with gold tint and a pleated white interior sure wish we had pictures..As for my Dad he had a 55 Studebaker speedster with a packard patrician engine....Jeeez I wonder why most of the boys on our block grew up to be gear heads.. Life was good in our part of Wisconsin in the 60's we had a new ranch style home a hot rod stude a late model Olds and a fiberglass runabout!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, I'd love to have old car neighbors. All I have are rice wagons, donks and Dodge Chargers (the new ones).:(

3. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

Yupp.. My neighbors don't really get it either

4. And around the corner and up a 1/2 block the guy took a new 1968 428 Shelby Mustang and made a drag car out of it!!! I can still hear his tune sessions in my dreams!!

5. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Within sight of our front door was a NEW 57 Fuelie Corvette,53 or 54 Corvette, 48 Continental with a Cad ohv engine,my dads 57 Power Pak Bel Air, and an aluminum bodied homemade sports car with a J2 for power. There were only 13 houses in our subdivision when we moved in!

6. 50 Olds hardtop. He let me watch him shave the hood. 33 Chevy roadster. Stock but he drove it to work everyday.

7. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Later on, the neighbor up the street would pass bye everyday in his Sunbeam Tiger on his way to work. Then I would ride my bike to wait on the corner to see the orange 35 Ford 5 window bring my friends big brother home from school. I have been ruined ever since!

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

When I was very small there was a young guy across the street who drove a 50 Chev 2 door fastback. 2 tone blue and white, fender skirts, tail dragger, Hollywood mufflers. That's all I remember but I was only 5 or 6 at the time. So that would be in 1956 or 57.

A little later there was a fenderless hot rod made of an old truck cab, channelled low over the frame, with a varnished wood box and a Red Ram hemi. Like the rat rods they build now but nicely finished and painted medium blue metallic.

There was a chopped 49 Merc 2 door that sat outside a body shop for a while in primer. Don't remember seeing it finished, it disappeared after a while. Maybe the owner was from out of town and it was just being worked on or painted.

Then the sixties came along and it was all GTOs, Mustangs, Road Runners and drag cars. Traditional hot rods seemed to disappear. Why bother building something when you can put $100 down and buy a new car that is just as fast or faster.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Then there was the shabby house with peeling paint on the wrong side of the tracks with 3 or 4 Packard Caribbean convertibles in the back yard. Wire wheels, Continental spare, you couldn't mistake them. Covered with old tarps that were splitting and falling off. One day they disappeared. Hope they didn't go to the junk yard but you never know. Today they would be worth $1 million dollars fixed up.

On the other side of town in another cheap neighborhood was a Corvette from the early sixties, under another tarp, that sat rotting into the ground for 20 years.

10. mr.32

mr.32

I meet my new next door after living in the hood for couple of months. He's tells me he has 55 . I ask if it was a ford or Chevy? He says ,no I've got 55 !

11. cartman4gc

cartman4gc

In 1956 I lived in La Mirada, Ca. I was 8 yrs old, and the family across the street had some sort of early fenderless roadster, an A or probably a T. It was the first hot rod or jalopy I ever saw and rode in and it changed my life. I built my '27 roadster as a tribute to that car. I recall their name to be Hassie or similar, so if you're out there, gimme a shout!

12. old buzz

old buzz
    from middle tn

I grew up on the East side of Cincinnati! Twas a Guy named Jeff that had a black '36 ford coupe called the "untouchable". drove it daily for years,and then it kinda disappeared! I ran into Him years later and asked about that coupe. He said it sat for a few years after he got married or something , and that his wife made him sell it............FOR A $100.00

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I lived a few doors down the street in Tulsa, OK from Chuck Walker, who had quite a hand in building 3WLarry's deuce. Chuck and his dad always had several flathead-powered cars they were working on and I spent many an hour hanging out at their garage. I remember a '49 Merc, '51 Ford and '53 Ford, among others in their driveway. Also on the street were 3 '58 Ford Country Sedans (including ours), 2 '59 Vauxhalls, a '54 Pontiac convertible (my dad's), a '61 Coupe deVille, 2 '47-'48 Fleetline Aerosedans, a couple of Saabs, a '63 Impala SS, a '57 Chevy 150 (black), a '63 Corvair, a Hudson Wasp, a '48 Packard, a '36 Ford 2 dr sedan, a '62 Olds 88...

We later moved and in the new neighborhood, we had a fenderless but unchopped 30 Model A coupe powered by a 265 chevy. Ten years later (1976) I was the neighborhood hot rodder, with a chopped, channeled, fenderless 30 Model A coupe with a 289 and C4. A few doors down was Terry Spears, whose '63 Plymouth Sport Fury made several car magazines in the 70s, when he was still a teenager. He still has the car.

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My neighborhood when I was 8 or 9 had a nice Buick Skylark convert, a black 50 Merc nosed and decked and a few 49-50 Fords done the same. My current neighbor has a beautiful 57 Nomad and a 68 Shelby GT 500 convert. Around the corner is a nice 55 2 dr wagon with a hot 327 and a 4 spd-a few more scattered around here too.

15. The first day we moved into a new neighborhood in 1959 the guy across the street had the first real hot rod I had ever seen and it was the epitome of hot rods..a red 1932 Ford highboy roadster. It had a Mercury Y-block in it. I fell in love with hot rods right then and there. No one else around had any real hot rods in my neighborhood although there were several muscle cars later on when they became popular.

16. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

my neighborhood,across the street was a mandella drag boat,down the street was a new 67 ss nova 327/4spd..set up for Lions.65 vette tunnel rammed 327/4spd,440 sixpac r/t cornet.57 chevy fulie orignal 2dr hardtop,yellow/white.around the corner was another drag boat hemi powered,a good friend of my fathers had a 56 mk conteninetal(sp).another friends dad had a new 66 ss396 El camino.
    my DAD had a 49 cj2a that we as a family raced sand hill climbs/drags.
    my little brother had a 49 chevy coupe,dz 302 b&m 4spdhydro,black lacquar
    I had a 56 2 dr post,292 4sp gunmetal grey w/amercian daisies.
    the streets also had the optional burn out stripes both ways from the driveway

17. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

There is at least 5 or 6 street rods around my hood with in a 10 block area like 3 t buckets and a coupe or two ect not many trad or kustom style cars in this area .

Jake

18. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

19. skwurl

skwurl

Model A truck, 64 impala, 63 impala, then model a coupe, 63 mercury, 60 lincoln 2dr, 63 ford uni

20. When I was a kid most of the cars that were hot rod were early 50's & 60's cars.

The only on that really stands out to me wasn't a hot rod but Gene Cromer's Willys,,The Moonlighter which with a lot of help from many talented people is going back together.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730747&highlight=moonlighter

I'm looking forward to see it finished,,heck maybe Gene will let me sit in the car like I did almost 45 years ago. HRP

21. Mickey One

Mickey One

There were a good number of tri-fives in my area in the 60's.Both in high school,and guys that my friend Sonny's sister would date.There was a mechanic named Bill Casey at a local gas station,who had a nice orange 57' drag car called Super Pumpkin.I hadn't thought of that car for years,and then a few years ago I saw a photo of it at Gasser Madness.That was cool!

22. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

In the early sixties I was newly married and had a 59 Corvette and living in a rental house. The guy across the street still lived at home but was a few years older. He always had a nice custom or hot rod. The first was a customized 53 Studebaker coupe, the second a 32 full fendered Ford roaster with a full race flathead, and before I moved he had a really nice 55 Ford T-bird that was nosed and decked and lowered. He and a friend got drunk one night and the friend totaled the T-Bird and put them both in the hospital for a few weeks. The friend worked at a Chevy dealer and felt so bad that he bought the neighbor a nice used 57 Corvette. I moved shortly after that.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This 34 Chevy sedan was at the top of my street. 394 Olds

Next street over was a 53 Stude coupe with a hemi.
    A few houses up the street was a Henry J that was made into a roadster using a hood from something turned around backwards. It was not a hack job and really looked cool. I wish I could remember what powered it. I was a kid and the power plant was not as important then.

How big of a neighborhood? This was a big hotrod community. My home town had a hell of a lot of east coast hotrods.

24. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was growing up in the late 50's and the 60's, our place was the only one in the neighborhood that had cool cars. Hot rods, customs, stock cars, drag cars, etc. My dad had a lot of cars himself and all of his friends would come over and work on their stuff in our driveway. And out of town racers were always welcome to leave their cars / trailers in our driveway and work on them. He did not have a garage at first so the engines were puled with a hoist hanging from an oak tree. I remember a guy bringing over an Allison V-12 to work on. They built a stand for it in the front yard and got it running and wow was it loud! A lot of our neighbors hated us.

My dad was also the guy the other parents warned their kids about. He always had a pack of Kools rolled up in his white t-shirt sleeve, jeans, black engineer boots and a black leather jacket. Of course, all of the neighborhood kids hung out there since their parents told them not to. It didn't help that dad would give them cigarettes and Hamm's beer!

chevyfordman likes this.
  25. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

There's only two in my hood! Brian's 32 and My 29.......... Otherwise were just flooded with muscle cars

Attached Files:

26. well i was born in 70 and in the two neighborhoods i grew up in there wasnt a "HOTROD" to be found but all the musclecars were there the closet thing to a hot rod that i was around was a fully restored model A and the same guy had a retored 51 beliar (now owns a 78 z28) the other was a driver 53 chevy sedan it was yellow

and my dad had a primered 55 chevy hartop that was supposedly a hot streetcar that he sold then bought back after the guy he sold it to blew the engine then my dad scrapped it why i dont know i remember helping pull the doghouse off of it barely

now there arent any musclecars or vintagecars within the block i live on except for what i own my next door neighbor has a 73 t-bird that he claims was a badass but he blew the 429 init and its been sitting ever since about 20 years......he bought a replacement jasper429 for it and its sitting in the garage for the same time

a friend of mine i met at the cruise ins lives two blocks up or so he has a custom 51 chevy, a shortened 31 ford sedan , and a i think its a 34 ford truck

27. X-Farmboy

X-Farmboy

Growing up in the 70's in a very small town in the middle of nowhere Montana, hot rods were not common at all. Most of fast car guys had muscle cars - 70 Chevelle, a Roadrunner, 429 Cyclone, and an Orange GTO Judge. There was a guy named Fast Eddie who had matching Canary Yellow 55 Chev and Model A coupe. There was also a Model A coupe with an Olds motor that never moved after being parked when I was a little kid.

When I was 14, I put together a 57 Chev sedan delivery with a 327 and a 3-speed, because I couldn't afford a 4-speed on gas station wages. Beer and gas took up most of my check. The good ol' daze!

28. upspirate

upspirate

Not too many rods in my neighborhood in the 60's in Detroit.
    Across the street neighbor had a 56 Ford ragtop custom ,purple w/ white interior,tripower that caught fire alot & he never really got running right.

One guy a few blocks away had a plywood body that resembled a roadster on some sort of frame,and a Cushman scooter painted purple with a '59 Cad taillight that was impressive to a 10 yr old on a bike(me)

Neighbor next door was going to build a sports car,but bought a new '66 Vette w/ 427.

another worked for Ford and had a '66 7-Liter and later a 67 390 Mustang fastback.

As far as old stuff,I helped a friends dad rebuild a 39 Plymouth motor.

My brothers neighbors had a drag boat,and another had a FED

When I moved down here at 16,my friends had muscle cars and a '55 Chev

I liked old rods, but wasn't really exposed to them till I took the plunge in '85

29. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Mid 70s I remember a bright orange super bee with cragar SS wheels, black 71-2 chevelle SS with white stripes and keystone klassics, red 71-2 chevelle SS with white stripes and cragar SS wheels. Those stick out the most, I was around 10 years old or younger and I still remember them.

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I live in a boring neighbor hood since there was only one real hotrod and a kid down the street had a Shelby mustang,the real hotrod was a 57 Chevy owned by Roger Lucas. Its still a boring neighborhood and Roger is still here and has a Willys and I have a 55 ford and 37 Chevy and that is it unless there is one that has been in a garage before 61 when my mom and dad bought the house.