Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53Chuck, Mar 9, 2013.

1. i would have made the trade. but then of the tri 5's i like the 55 the best.

2. johnwwjr

johnwwjr
    from Rahway, NJ

Definitely got the better of the two in the deal.....

3. lht

lht

hey what ever makes you happy both cars will pull good money done up right

4. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Great trade! Coupes are badass!

5. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

You traded a car you didn't want as much for a car you wanted more. Your wallet didn't get raped in the process. I think that is all good. Should buyer's remorse set in on down the road, the '40 will make great trade stock for the next swap. As long as you stick with proven winners like TriFive Chevys, '32 and '40 Fords, early Vettes, etc. You'll most always come out fine.

6. They are both list cars for me. I'd like to have them both. Now if i'd enjoyed one for a while would I trade for the other? With outa doubt yes, but there are aboot 20 others on that list too

7. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why, yes.... yes you are crazy.

Sanity has very little to do with old cars. First, you need to have a real gut feeling; a kinship with old metal.

Do you sometimes just sit quietly in the car, drinking in the smoky smells of worn upholstery? Is it sort of reassuring to hear the creaking of hinges as the door clicks shut? Do you know each oil spot on the garage floor by name? Does a grin spread across your face after you blip the throttle? Do you look for any excuse there is to drive the thing, even sinking as low as running to the grocery store or the dentist?

If you can say "yes" to any of those, then it was a good deal.

Sanity be damned. :D

8. GREASER815

GREASER815

I like it. Long as you do, you made a good deal.

9. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Hey man, For a 40? yea I've got a soft spot for those.
    If your happy, I'm happy

10. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

In all honesty, who cares what anyone else thinks, it's your car. If that trade makes you feel good and you're happy with it, then it's a good deal. If you're really unsure about it, don't do it. Bottom line is, you are the one that has to live with it. Now, are you crazy? You're here with us, aren't you? We're not the sanest bunch on the planet!

11. My opinion is like everybody that posted,just our personal likes and dislikes.

I think you would have been a fool not to trade. HRP

12. A fool if he didn't make your choice, aren't you special.

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

Its good to see that we have so many who prefer the traditional hotrod over the street machine.

14. I'd rather have a '40 myself.

15. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

I am happier with the 40. The bel air was a bit better of a driver but I find myself helplessly drawn to the ford. With some tinkering and the eventual 350/700r4(insert hate reply below), it will be just as good of a driver as the bel air but twice the looker.

Now if I could just find a good body shop here in montana to do a little rust repair.........?

16. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

That would be a hard one for me as I like em both, A good clean '56 driver or a super cool '40 that needs work?? I'd sell the kids so I can have both i guess.

Scotty

17. While we can't tell from just a couple of photos how good of a condition each car is in, I can say that of all the trades out there, a 39 or 40 Deluxe coupe is one of the only cars I would swap my 56 for and I love my old 56. I think you made a good trade and I would bet you think so too or you would not have done it. You just want reassurance on the deal. So yeah, you aren't crazy, just car-crazy.

18. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

No brainer on the 40.... Reconsider the flatty

19. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I like to be different, with that said I know where theres at least 3 56 chevys within 20 miles of my house. Cant say the same for 40 fords and I love mr a tri five.

20. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Spruce the 40 up.You will love it.

Attached Files:

21. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Sounds like you owned the 56 for little investment, and flipped it for a 40 ford coupe = HUGE WIN! Congrats, enjoy the 40. Post more pics of it, I'd love to see more of it.

22. slammed

slammed

Crazy, no. But if you leave that red wheels/flat black scheme it would seem dated. I would have loved to have the '56. Win-Win.

23. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

Too much buck for not enough bang in my opinion. I know that way down in the dirt tangled in the roots of hot rodding lies the ford flathead, but twice the power, reliability and drive-ability for ALOT less money fits my drive it everyday style and is way more budget friendly.

24. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

Here is some more pics

Attached Files:

25. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

I can only attach one pic at a time

Attached Files:

26. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

The motor

Attached Files:

27. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

Decent interior

Attached Files:

28. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

Don't get me wrong, the bel air was nice. It did however need paint and a good bit of body work to replace the crappy Johnny bondo job done previously.

Attached Files:

29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Only two cars are on my "have to have before I die" list.

One is a '56 Nomad (and I've owned my red & white one for over 22 years)

The other is a '40 Ford Deluxe coupe. I appreciate and enjoy my '47 Ford coupe, but every time I see a '40, it catches my eye. Someday!

I'm happy for you and think you made a great trade! Here's to many happy miles in your coupe!

30. hot rust

hot rust

in my taste i think you made a mistake, and as i think as far as looks the 37-41's are at the bottom of the ford barrel but had it been a 40 willys you would have scored......just my .02