Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Traditional Track T or Bucket Build Cost Under $5000??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobs66440, Mar 5, 2013.

1. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Now that right there is what I'm talking about! I want to build something just like that.

2. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Agreed:D

3. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Yes! I am definitely interested! Thank you. PM sent. :D

4. 32dreamer

32dreamer

Thanks for the copies Rich!

5. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Harm - I like the look of it with the long frame at the front. Looks like my hemi would fit no problem.

Cleaver idea running those rear link bars that far forward. Should allow a better movement arch

Here's what I have in mind (see attached pic)

Great thread!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  6. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Hemi?? Wow! That will be a ride! Cool!

But, what about the weight? You will need a pretty heavy frame, no?

7. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

It's probably a little more than a BBC...I am gonna put it on a diet tho.

Attached Files:

8. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

Built this for under $5000.

Attached Files:

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Bought a new unused but old glass Tbucket body and a nice 2X3 steel tubing frame at the Decatur TX swap meet last February for $450. Shortened the frame and zeed it at the firewall, added turtledeck I had and now have a good basis for a nice little ride. Plan on using a 47-48 Ford front end or a 33 Dodge wavy axle up front and either 59A flattie with auto and 8" rear or 2300 Ford Banger with auto and Pinto/Bobcat wagon rear end. Already have a nice original set of 23-25 Windshield posts that are chopped and just bought a nice set of 50s Dodge/DeSoto wire wheels which would look really nice on the car. Have less than $1500 in all the above plus several steering coluns/boxes to choose from. Sometimes it is good to be hoarder.

10. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Sounds like a great build!!

11. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Well, the process has begun. For the sake of ease (budget and build wise) I decided to go with either a small block Ford or Chevy with an automatic trans. After sifting through some possibilities, I landed on this '84 Camaro Z-28. 305, 700R4 and open rear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a very rust free and fairly clean example. The engine is warmed over with a Eddy Performer cam, intake and carb. It starts right up and runs awesome. The trans was rebuilt 2000 miles ago and I assume the rear is good (haven't driven it). It has all new tires, brakes and front end parts. Also has a brand new fiberglass cowl induction hood. The best part is I got it for $1000. It's almost too nice to take apart. You don't see many around here that are this clean. But the fact is, they just aren't worth much. Sooo, she's comin' apart!

I can use the engine (needs to be cleaned and painted, but otherwise good), trans, rear and brakes directly from the car. I can sell the wheels & tires for maybe $200-$300. The hood is almost $600 new, so $300 shouldn't be a problem. I can probably part out a lot of the rest for an additional $500 or so. But, even if I just scrap it, I should be able to get $200 for it. So, all in all, I should be able to end up with the whole drive train for around $300. Not too bad so far...

I'll keep you posted on the progress....:D

12. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Now that is the deal Im looking for. Those cars in my area going 2K to 3K or more depending on condition. Also C4 Vettes are creaping up in price now too.

I can't wait to see this project get started. I'm still on the fence about building a T bucket.

What body are you using?

I was thinking of hand fabing one up in metal. I also found a few cowls that I might go a different direction.

Cant wait to see this come together. Congrats on the car find.

13. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

I would love to find a steel body. If I can't find one I'm probably going to get the body from Ron Pope Motorsports (RPM). I spoke to him at length on the phone. Very nice and helpful guy.

http://www.eztbucket.com/

I'm going to go and look at a 1978 Olds Cutlass Supreme (305) this week also. The owner says it has around 50,000 original miles and runs great. It's just been sitting a few years. But he only wants $500, so that would be a good donor for the next one! ;-)

14. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Yeah Ron is a good dude and very helpful. When I was trying to get some cash together to buy one of the bodies on sale he talked to me for a long time and answered all my questions. if I was going to buy glass I would buy from him.

I really want steel and finding a body is hard to do. I found a few cowls on here for 28-29 and 30-31 cars. If I can get a cowl I will get a body fabbed out or just try and fab the whole thing. I would kind of like to try that.

I'm thinking truck roadster body.

Man you are finding some deals on parts it would be good to collect other motors and stuff. Wonder what kind of breaking system is on it? You might be able to use that stuff as well.

15. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Yes, I can definitely use the front and rear brakes. For the front, with the RPM axle I just have to use the modified '49-'54 Chevy spindles and caliper adapters and everything will bolt right up. I can also use the drive shaft after getting it shortened.

I'm also going to look at a '78 Olds Cutlass Supreme which has pretty much all the same stuff as this car. And it supposedly has 50,000 original miles and runs good. The best part, it's only $500! I can keep that one for the next build.

16. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thats a good deal on getting all of that stuff even at 1000 bucks you saved a lot of not just money but time going to look for things. I wonder if our local yards would still have any of these lying around.

Yeah the 78 Olds would be another good one to get and use for parts. Best thing is when done you can get money from the scrap yard for whats left.

What kind of rear would be under the Olds? Could you use that?

17. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it would be a 10 bolt, same as the Camaro. It should have the same brakes also.

18. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

If so that would be a good score. I wonder if you could use the radiators from both cars?

19. gsport

gsport

if ya look around, T-buckets are pretty cheap.... i picked this up last year for $8000, as it sets here. lots of chrome, chrome corvette rearend. it was an older build, but looked good from 20 feet away[​IMG]

20. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

21. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

No, they are too big. A 65-66 Mustang radiator fits right in a '23 T radiator shell and is a very popular choice.

22. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Keep in mind that's an Olds motor. They can be good runners, but it will cost more to hop up then your standard SBF or SBC

It may have a SBC in it though as GM put quite a few Chevy mills in Olds

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  23. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

I really, really want a roadster...and I'd like to do it on a budget too...

But at 6'3'' what are my options? Cool thread!, would love to hear from some others on creative ways to keep the knees out of the face :)

Subscribed

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  24. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

They do make a stretched T bucket body. I'm not sure if RPM does but I think spirit does.

I'm 5'10" and I worry about the same thing and I'm told I would be ok in a regular body. I was thinking of using bomber seats and that will put me down inside the car and a little lower inside as well.

This is a good thread to follow keep watching.

25. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

The '78 Cutlass would have come from the factory with a Chevy 305. There was never an Olds 305--there was an Olds 307 that came later. And yes, both Spirit and RPM offer stretched '23 bodies, though they have different proportions.

26. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

YYes, thanks. At first I thought it was a 305, but now I find that they also came with 260 and the Pontiac 301. I'll try to id it when I look tomorrow. If it's not a 305, i'm just going to pass on it.

27. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Opps, I meant 307.

If it's got a SBC, all is good - unless you are an Olds fan.

28. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

I spoke to Ron at RPM today. The stretched body is 10" longer in the cowl. He makes the frame longer to accommodate.

29. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

looks like your on the right track, pull that driveline and sell what you can to offset some of the cost of the rest of your build.

this one, kind of a cross between a t and a modified, i built in 6 months, and am right around 4200 bucks, built the steel body myself as well as the motor/trans rebuild to save on cost. doing another up for a friend, more in a 70's style with a glass body.

george

Attached Files:

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus