Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Kinmont Brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flt-blk, Oct 22, 2003.

1. I also noticed them, at this yrs show

[​IMG]

2. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Are you sure Chip? I think they are repops. I think Jimmy knows for sure. . .

3. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

You just made me laugh out loud with this remark... I was surprised to see this thread pop up on my subscribed threads list, since I knew it was an old one. Nearly ten years after asking you finally got an answer.

4. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

Should have bought them 10 years ago for $1000-2000, ive seen guys fishing for as much as 12,000-15,000 lately.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absatively sure on this one! They are about an 1 1/2" too thick to be originals, and whe you walk up to them you can see the standard Chevy or Ford brake disc inside the deal. I was trying to explain to Bodi how the originals worked as he had asked what they were.

6. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

The foe ones were fully covered in the other thread.

Id love to know the status if the reproduction ones

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Screw fishin', I just watched money change hands on a set locally mid last year for 18,000.00! They were N.O.S., but the money was real!

8. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Haha! I do see what you mean as far as the thickness. Looks odd. The aluminum hub also conjures images of wilwood brakes.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. What? These old things?

Attached Files:

10. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

i talked to wilson a couple of weeks ago and he said he was going to try and have his re pops at Pomona this year. fwiw, about 20 years ago i had a set of Kinmonts in my hands - the guy wanted $700.00 and i didn`t pull the trigger! DOH!

11. choptop4

choptop4

Have mine for sale or part trade.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, as long as we are cataloging stories on this stuff, I owned a front pair about thirty years ago that came from the most unlikely place... If you guys saw the thread "the coolest car you ever saw in a wrecking yard" I described it there. There was a small yard outside of luck Wisconsin that was owned by a couple of Swedes that was loaded with cool stuff back then. Two of my other scores out of there were a '37 Willys 4dr for 200.00 and later all the grille and trim on the front of my '48 Plymouth.

So I'm on one of my weekly romps out there, and start to walk back into the treeline where I hadn't been before, and I see a car with three headlights. It was indeed one of the 7 or 8 missing Tuckers! I had just been reading an Old Rod and Custom mag where they did a drive test on one and i knew what it was. I remebered from the article that they had Kinmont brakes, so I asked down at the office. The car had it's driveline stripped out of it so there were no rear brakes to be had, but I paid something on the order of about 30.00 - 50.00 dollars for the fronts! I sold them at the Back to The Fifties swap in St. Paul in '81 for about 4 or 500.00... I do know that within another two years or so the car was no longer in that yard, which was no mean feat 'cause it had trees grown up all around.

13. alchemy

alchemy

My pair was purchased in about 1982 for $400. But it can't be your pair, as I know my pair came from a car in Ohio.

14. hans lundholm

hans lundholm
    from Sweden/USA

FYI. None of the 51 Tucker -48 Sedan cars produced, used Kinmont brakes. Tucker envisioned several innovations which were later abandoned. Magnesium wheels, disc brakes, fuel injection, self-sealing tubeless tires, and a direct-drive torque converter transmission were all evaluated and/or tested but were dropped on the final prototype due to cost, engineering complexity, and lack of time to develop.

15. alchemy

alchemy

Are you saying Louvers lied?

16. hans lundholm

hans lundholm
    from Sweden/USA

No. Just saying produced Tuckers did not use Kinmonts, but for some reason this one did. Maybe it was the test car?

17. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

18. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  19. I have seen them in our class ads here before it seems that a set or partial set pops up about every couple of years. None have been NOS that I have seen but while they are always too rich for my blood they are well within the grasp of the average heavy hitter that shows up on here.

They are neat for sure but if you grew up later then the '80s you probably would not recognize them as "Disc" brakes. They don't have a steel rotor and an aluminum pincher. That said tey are cool to the bone and if I could land a set I would build a car around them.

20. alchemy

alchemy

21. I think that it was Johnsons hot rod shop, that had them at the GNRS this year.
    Lars

22. Say, What is the Latest on the Repop
    Kinmont Disk Brakes?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. blueboy

blueboy
    from Texas

yep allan johnson is making them and they are nice come polished and un polished of course polished is more quality stuff alot of machining done there at there shop

24. The Alan Johnson parts aren't reproductions. They only vaguely look like the real deal.

25. Johnson Kinmonts Modern Vintage brake kit
    321276322060 ebay item number.... asking 2300..... not sure for how many..... says one but not sure if thats a set of 4 or one set up....... not everyones style but i like what i see.......... might have to pony up on this if its a complete set of 4 for 2300........ would love a real set but 12,000 to 20,000... hahaha i have kids and they like too eat..

26. BJR

BJR

I am calling BS on this one. I live 3 miles from Luck WI and know all the yards around here for the last 40 years. There was never a Tucker in any of them!

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I believe the Chysler Disc brakes were used ONLY on the 49-50 Town and Country wooden convertibles and the Crown Imperial Limosines, not New Yorkers and never DeSotos.