Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53Chuck, Mar 9, 2013.

1. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

A few years ago I got a screaming deal on a 56 bel air 2 door post. It was a decent driver with a spicy little small block and a 4 speed. It had been redone in the 80's (crushed velvet)and had some paint issues and was close to needing the top end of the motor redone. In all it was one of the better cars I've ever owned.

Out of curiosity I put it on the Internet up for possible trade. As you can imagine I got quite a few replies, most of them bs but a few that made me genuinely think about it. One gentleman had a few in the stable he would put up for my tri five. A nice Henry j, a sweet pickup and a 40 ford deluxe coupe. Of course the coupe struck my interest. After some long talks on the phone we met to size up each others rides.

The 40 has a bit of rust in the trunk and the rear roll pan needs replaced. The running board covers are gone and the grill is missing some teeth and the grill side vents are trashed. It is on its original chassis with the original flathead v8 and colum shift 3 speed. It has a power gen 12v alt. The car also included a decent looking free turning spare flathead motor, a spare 37 3 speed transmission and a spare rear end torque tube assembly.

After some thinking, I bit the bullet and traded him straight across. Some of my buddies agree with me on it and some say I'm fool.

So I ask you HAMB nation, am I crazy?

Attached Files:

2. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

Another pic

Attached Files:

3. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

I'd do that trade anyday!

4. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Hell no! You traded up!

5. desotot

desotot

A chevrolet for a ford coupe! wow

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  6. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Sanity has no relevance in a love affair!

7. I would not have to even think twice....that belly button would have been down the road as soon as he said 40 Ford!!

8. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

9. R Pope

R Pope

Of course you realize, just because you made out like a bandit on the swap, it doesn't mean that you're not crazy anyway.......We all are, monkeying around with old tin!

10. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Good looking car, checked out the pics on your profile. I am a sucker for tri-fives but the 40' has lots of potential. As long as you are happy with the trade, don't worry, just go with it.

11. Well done that man...

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am not so certain that it was a smokin' deal. Not a bad deal....not at all. But you (and others on here) may be underrating your '56 Chev. Tri 5 Chevys are kind of the late '30s/'40 Ford Coupes , 20 years later. Certainly the prices I've seen paid for them have been 'up there', IMO, and rising.

But the real issue that comes to mind in evaluating this trade is this. You could have kept your Chevy running forever with very low cost parts and minimal labor, and have been driving a relatively 'modern' car in terms of suspension, steering, brakes, etc.

Whereas, it seems to me, a bone stock '40 Ford Coupe, while quite a pretty face, is a high maintenance broad if ever there was one. It could be a sink hole for money. Now, there is nothing wrong with that, IF and only IF, you are prepared to spend what it takes to keep her (and YOU) "Happy".

All that said, I certainly can see the appeal........and........it's done, so enjoy 'her' :)

Ray

13. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

I'm a sucker for 36-40 fords, so great move...but i know a guy who would disagree, so each to their own. As long as your happy....Enjoy

14. 53Chuck

53Chuck
    BANNED

Hnstray has a point I'm finding more valid as get in to the forty. Most any part a guy might need is available in the aftermarket, but it is a bit pricier than the tri five stuff, I mean $1,500 for a trunk lid, ouch. I tore in to the spare 59A motor that the car came with and after a dis-heartening teardown that included several broken head studs, I came to the realization of the total cost involved in rebuilding Henry's marvel motor. $10,000 looks like it would be an easy number to reach(or surpass) with 200 horse to show for it if I'm lucky.

The motor in the car seems to run very well. Having said that if something ever goes wrong with it, I will be replacing it with a more modern (and more budget friendly)drivetrain.

Like I tell my buddies around here, even if my bel air was the perfect picture of what I think a bel air should be, I'd still trade it for a picture perfect 40 ford coupe.

15. xlr8er

xlr8er

As others have said, I think the trade was a good one. True, the 40 parts will cost you a few more bucks but at the other end, it'll be even. When you go to sell the 40, it will bring more money. The 56 (any of the tri-5's) is a milestone car - as is the 40. I think it comes down to you. If you like a 40 coupe over a 56, then you did a great trade. I just happen to agree with you. Enjoy your new ride!!

16. If you've got the know-how and/or the money to make the forty reliable and safe it's a deal if not, not.

17. BillyM

BillyM

Not at all....I'd also have done that trade....in a heartbeat! Older is almost always better.....

18. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I think you did the right thing too---I've had 5 40's and all of the tri-5's. I like the 40 better.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You waste your time and money on old cars don't you? Of course you are crazy.

By the way congratulations on getting the Ford coupe.

20. alsancle

alsancle

It is hard when trading apples for oranges but you did fine in my opinion. As previously said, if you are happy great. If the other guys is happy too then it was an all around good deal.

21. I think it was a good trade, I like the smaller coupes and you probably needed something new to work on anyhow. Go forth and have fun !

22. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

In spite of Hnstry's protestations to the contrary (and his well-written assertions in that vein), we don't love these cars for their potential reliability, we own them/work on them/work under them/drive them because of their uniqueness (otherwise, why change from stock appearance?), and for how people's heads turn as you rumble by on the edge of your cam lobes. I've had a half-dozen tri-fives, some were just beaters with hot engines, some were completely fixed up in and out. Arriving at a rod run, you're just another guy with a nice ride in your '56, but as you cross the threshhold with that '40, murmurings of "hot rod" will move through the crowd of appreciative onlookers. Tri-fives are fine and there are some stunning examples in the car shows, get-togethers, and drag strips. But to acquire a '40 coupe that is in need of your personal touch - big win, my friend - you've just gotten started.

23. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

People keep saying about repo parts available for the chevy and how much more expencive for the ford parts. for my build I'm trying to source a 38 deluxe front clip. So no repo just original.

And so far finding hood sides and fenders is rather difficult. I know they will cost a lot , but for me it will be so rewarding when it's all together.

24. subdajj

subdajj

Great deal

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Here's the question. When you first see the 40 each day do you grin ear to ear? [Like I do] Then you made the right move. Neat coupe.

26. Nice trade. I would have done it myself.

27. I have had a '55 two post chevy and a '40 ford pick-up, both hotrodded. I enjoyed them both for what they were. I agree in the long run that the '40 will be a better investment, as it is the second most popular year after the '32 ford.

28. Retro61

Retro61

You did good!

29. I call it an even trade. The cars were of similar worth in their present conditions.

The '40 looks like it's all there and in relatively good shape being 16 years older than the Chevy. Fix it up bit by bit and you should have a lot of fun with it.

Bob

30. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

In a heart beat i would grab that 40. But that said, i would have sold the tri five and then bought the 40. Sounded like yours was complete and running which would fetch higher dollars. After buying the 40 i bet you would have wound up with a few bucks in your pocket. That is if the owner wanted cash...:D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2