Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 3100 daily driver build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sqrlnts, Mar 15, 2012.

1. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Dude, thanks for the offer and thanks for looking. I have found one over at Stovebolt. I tried to double down by placing want ads on both forums.

I don't have a heater delete plate, if your talking about the passenger side kick panel inlet for the heater, i made my own blank off.

Thanks again pache, I appreciate the effort. The only other things I need are............. IFS front suspension, front disc brakes, new MC, air conditioning, rebuilt vent windows, posi rear end, electric wiper motor and transmission arms, front turn signals, rear roll pan and bumper, and more leg room! :)

2. 1959apache

1959apache

I am talking about the little door to the left of the glove box on the dash. Do you still have that stepside bed? I am looking for some rear fender supports (can't seem to find mine) and they are ridiculously expensive.

3. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

OhhhhK, I got ya. I think I still have that, let me look tonight. You still have the chevy dash right?

I sold the step side bed about 1 month ago. You could make the fender supports out of some 1/4" rod and some washers? Thats my plan for the 4 bed supports I am missing. Its pretty easy, I had to make one for my DS front fender.

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

I have a virgin Chevy dash...virgin meaning uncut and unmolested. I have a truck that needs some dash work and I was considering swapping this dash into it instead. I'm rethinking this now and may just patch that other dash up. Let me recheck how bad it is this weekend, and I may be able to let the good one go...

5. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah I am running the stock chevy dash. My heater delete plate on the dash has a big hole drilled into it for pushbutton start. Since I have everything set up with just the key that leaves me with a gaping hole. I just need the 1 brace for one side on the bed, seems like a waste of time to make it if someone has one lying around, but I am not against it. By the time I am done making one, buying material and all that jazz I would have more into it than just buying one outright.

I have less than $3,000 into this build so far, but would like to keep recycling the old good parts from someone else who isn't using them.

6. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

I wonder if we had the same previous owners?
    [​IMG]

Sorry.

7. 1959apache

1959apache

lol, that is funny. Oh well.:D

8. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

The controls of a mad machine. Also just wanted to say thanks again for all the help given HAMB. This thing is a driver.

[​IMG]

9. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

Glad to see you have it up and running! It has to be a great feeling to actually get behind the wheel and put it down the street! I have to ask about the pulley and cable where the accelerator paedal would normally be. Is that a hand control device? It all looks very clean and well insulated too. Got to be a big improvement over original jute backing and rubber floor mats! I hope you keep us posted on further work!

10. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

thanks red, the pulley device you're referring to is actually an old hand auger drill bit i hung there to knock around.

11. dubie

dubie

what did you pull that shifter out of? Camaro?

12. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

Well I'll be damned if I don't learn something new every day!! You sure had me wondering.

13. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That front end shouldn't death wobble. My stock axle would always track true, even with worn kingpins. I've yet to drive mine with the 4" dropped axle though.

How does the steering feel? It should return to center when you take your hands off it. Regarding the 7 deg shims, the thin part should be pointing forward (provided the axle is in the original position below the springs)

Try adding some more toe-in

I'm wondering if the 3 leafs you removed on each side will cause an oscillation

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  14. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Dubie, I purchased the shifter off of eGay, I believe it is a Hurst V-Matic 2 Shifter.

Tjet, the death wobble seems to be gone. I think it was caused by the front axle u bolt nuts being loose. :D

15. What are the pulley and rail road spike for ?

16. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

hey Swade41, see post #550 above!

17. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Cool. I was worried that it was the shims I suggested.

Cant wait to get mine going now!!!

18. lapropeltis

lapropeltis

Nice work!
    How much did you cut off the nothes and whats the distance between the ground and the bed when the axle is in the notch?

19. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

We cut off ~2" of the step notch one we had it sitting properly on the frame.

Is this what your looking for?

[​IMG]

20. 1959apache

1959apache

Hey! You got it painted! I am glad you are out driving it, that is pretty cool

21. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Thanks man. I need to redo the two tone on the bed spears and rear window surround as it's not enough contrast. Vintage air kit is next.

22. lapropeltis

lapropeltis

Jep, Thanks!
    Love the black paint;).

23. Buzznut

Buzznut

Don't think I ever asked this, but what is the gas tank out of? What did you do to make it fit?

24. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

73 blazer 25 gallon. Basically shortened the straps and made a brace for the top, it was easy.

25. Buzznut

Buzznut

Very cool! Filler behind the license plate?

26. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Yeah, I need more gas tank info. 25 gallons seems like it might hang low & be too visible? Where is the filler? Can we see better pic's please?

27. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

Pretty damn cool truck!

28. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Page 8 & 10 of this thread have other pics. Right now it shows alot of the tank from the rear. Once I put a roll pan on the ass end, the tank will disappear. Filler will be in the center of the bed at the back.

Thanks Malarkey!

29. Buzznut

Buzznut

From what I found through Google, Blazer tanks were 31 gallons. Would be awesome to be able to go 600 miles on a tank, but not sure I'd want it to hang down so low and be seen. The roll pan is definitely a good fix for that, but I'm not into roll pans myself. Is there a chance you could take a pic looking at it from the rear and maybe get a measurement of how much it hangs below the frame rails? I'm liking the idea, just looking for more details... Thanks.

30. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Hey Buzz, just filled it up yesterday, its 25 gallons. This is the best picture I can find tonight.

[​IMG]