Register now to get rid of these ads!

'30 Model A top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smilin Jack, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I'm starting my Model A coupe build and need advice. Should I do a metal roof or replace the black vinyl? I'm painting cream orange and like the look of the black vinyl against the orange but replacing with metal might be easier. I'm not chopping or channeling and the body itself will be close to original. Somebody give me a tie breaker opinion.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Did this to my old coupe for about $60 and a weekend...

Attached Files:

3. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Thanks, looks great. I'm not sure how good a job I can do of the vinyl top though. I want a neat job. Of course, not sure how neat a job of the metal top I could do either. LOL

4. Vergil

Vergil

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

6. jimbousman

jimbousman

Here's one I saw on this site a few weeks ago.

Attached Files:

7. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Vergil,
    You're a true craftsman. You gave every detail I wasn't sure of. My black top will look great on my cream orange coupe. Thanks so much!
    Jackie

8. boutlaw

boutlaw

I filled my 31 coupe roof with a 72 Maverick roof insert, but now I think I would prefer the vinyl, especially if I could slide the roof open or remove it easily on nice days. Options are always nice.

BOutlaw

9. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Boutlaw,
    I'm not sure I could get a smooth metal top on my car. At least vinyl is easy to remove if I make a mess. LOL

10. Vergil

Vergil

Gary ... Jack ... thanks

Vergil

11. Gumball

Gumball
    from Vista, CA

I filled the roof with the roof off a 65 Dodge Dart, turn in backwards and it fit so close that we didn't have to do anything but weld it in.
    Have fun..

12. charlieb66

charlieb66

You can do an imitation vinyl top over a filled metal roof. The joint between the visor and the panel over the door can present a problem, I think it is best to weld this joint no matter what roof you chose.

13. papajohn

papajohn

I think filled metal roofs on Model A's look goofy. I do like the idea of the slider, it looks cleaner than a snap on, and more fun then a stock type vinyl roof.

Just my 2cents.

14. Canuck

Canuck

Using Vergil's as one of my inspirations, I have all the stock style wood framing. Tacking a metal filler (668 Chevy full size fits great with no re-shaping) around on the inside of the raised bead. Cover with some closed cell foam then install stock style vinyl same as original. Bend up some repro aluminum trim to finish all the edges and install on a sealer base.

Canuck

15. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Vergil,
    Your build post gave me a bit of confidence. I tore off the vinyl top that was on my car. It was a very bad restore job. Some of the top wood is bad along with the front header wood. I can replace that with no problem. The arched cross wood pieces were not arched anymore but were sunk down. A little oak will solve that problem. I'm definitely following your build and gonna go for it. Thanks.

16. Vergil

Vergil

Jack with your outlook it will go great ....

Vergil

17. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Vergil,
    I'll post pics when I get started. I'm sure I'll have questions . My top metal was surprisingly good. I though it was a rusty mess but it turned out to be mostly brushed on paint from years ago. LOL

18. bgaro

bgaro

good choice

19. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Keep smiling ,Smilin Jack ! It going to be a good project..:cool::D