Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dynaflow worries

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Butcher's Shop Customs, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

I've got a 60 LeSabre, 401 and DynaFlow. The trans pulls good, drives great. But some days, it won't go at all. It may work after idling for a while, but other days it operates flawlessly. Any ideas, maybe loose crud floating around the valve body? Or does this weirdo even have one?

2. dtracy

dtracy

Front pump.

Dave.

3. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought that a front pump would be intermittent, but I'm no DynaFlow expert.

4. dtracy

dtracy

They get a groove worn into the pump cover plate and during shutdown the oil drains out of the pump into the pan and loses it's prime. Then during startup the groove causes the pump to cavitate and not pick the oil right away, no pressure - no moving. Depending on a number of conditions from vehicle position to temperature, the pump may pick up quickly or may not pick up at all.

It's the number one sore spot with an otherwise bullet proof transmission.

The Dynaflow has a rear pump so that if you are on a hill when this happens you can coast with the trans in low and the rear pump will prime the front pump making things go. I figured this out one night being late to get home from the movies on time.

Dave.

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

Just curious . I am gonna have a 62 lesabre Dynaflow left over from a build. What are they worth?

6. dtracy

dtracy

I don't really know, but they are getting to be very hard to find so don't just scrap it. The local transmission shop might buy it for a core if nothing else.

Dave.

7. Ghost28

Ghost28

Thanks. I never would scrap it.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have you tried changing the fluid and filter? Sometimes it works.

9. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

Thanks Dave. That makes more sense.

Two hours after my original post, the car was started and backed out of the garage without hesitation.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

Does the weather (temp) have anyting to do with it? If cold does you might try the new dextron 6

11. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

Temp doesn't affect it. It's totally hit or miss, with the exception of when its been driven. I think you're spot on with it being a priming issue.