Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oh no not another paint brush Model A roadster!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Bombero, May 22, 2012.

1. 41 C28

41 C28

I've used brush on paint on the chassis and axles a lot. With all this good information I may do the car.

2. banginona40

banginona40

I plan to brush and roller my current project when the time comes. I really like the idea. I have done a lot of projects the same way, from boats, furniture, house trim and etc.

3. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

any new updates on this? i guess friday afternoon might be a bad time to bump this.

4. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

How would a small blemich be repaired? Is it possible to "blend" in a section, Say 6" by 6" repair to a scuff, rust repair or whatever?

Repaint after repair and then cut and buff? Have you ever had to do this and how did it look? This really is a big savings on materials, good low buck thread! Thanks for having taken the time to show your work.

I prefer spraying myself but am interested in this method for future applications on other projects and EPA keeps getting tighter on controlling our actions.

5. richie rebel

richie rebel

would you consider brush painting a car without disassembling it,iam really thinking hard on this,like flat olive drab auto paint on my 35

6. jumbogem29

jumbogem29
    from Alabama

Try using Mathews Sign paint it works great with a brush and can get all kind of colors

7. My plan exactly for the current buid! Can you pm me a pic or 2?

8. PAINT IT BY BRUSH!

My great grand father was an ornamental painter - gold leaf, signs, faux finishes, houses and etc. He painted cars too - and used a brush! I'm talking the 1930's and earlier. Brush painting was the standard technique. He passed in 1944 and I never knew him - sad to say. My grandfather told me the stories.

I have two signs that he painted in about the 1920's. One is 23' long and hangs in my shop.

9. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Dude, Save yourself some work and go buy a paint gun. I suppose a guy could also dip all his parts or just dump the paint on and sand and buff your ass off buy WHY??? I gotta hand it to you, not afraid of doing stuff the hard way.

10. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Awlgrip is most likely the marine paint you are referring to. I watched a guy paint a 40' plus boat with Awlgrip and a roller . After he rolled a section he would "tip in in" with a high quality brush . Looked at the boat the next day and couldn't find a single brush mark. I was amazed....

11. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Thats an awesome story. I wish I had a piece like that hanging in my shop.

Obviously, you just don't get it.

This sites all about "traditional cars". I ask you, what is more traditional that brush painting a car?

12. Agreed 1,000,000%...I'd love to see an update on this car from the OP. And yeah, boat paints are worth a look-see...I've had some excellent preliminary results with oil/alkyd enamel from the Geo. Kriby Jr Paint Co. Nothing looks better than an old school hand rubbed enamel finish IMHO; even if you can detect a brush mark here & there.

brEad likes this.
  13. mohead1

mohead1

That black hood or whatever that is looks like its coming out really nice.....hell Im gonna try some on the bottom of the Coupe and frame and such and see how it looks...

14. Lets see, first you have to own a compressor capable of handling the air output needed for a paint gun. Then you need the line filters to make sure the air is clean. Then you need to buy the gun itself. Then you need somewhere to paint that you're not concerned about overspray...

Some of us don't have the cash, space, or tools to do it the 'easy way'. Until someone PayPal's me the money so I can buy the tools I need, I'll continue to plan on brush painting. :rolleyes:

brEad and wingnutz like this.
  15. Paint Gun..............................

Using that this afternoon to shoot parts for reassembly.........................

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  16. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Love what you're doing with this paint job! Really inspiring and something most guys can afford!

17. flamingokid

flamingokid

It's always the paint that prices me out when looking at a possible purchase.

18. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Good stuff Ruffdawg. Treasure that piece like you do.

Brush painting is very traditional in my opinion and props to you for doing it the way you see fit on your ride.

19. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

brush painted my roadster with black won shot.looks factory and is tough as hell

20. El Bombero

El Bombero

The only update is, there is nothing to report. I'm just finishing up my new shop. The roadster is at my other garage patiently waiting. I will be back on it in the next couple of months. I still have to move all my tools and "stuff" before it gets hot. Then I will make some real progress. Thanks for all the interest. As I stated before, this isn't for everyone. Some will like the idea and some will not. I really don't think there really is a "right " way to build a car. There are many variations. Pick the one that works for you and go with it.

Most of all, have fun!!!

Mike

21. Any news on this one?

22. El Bombero

El Bombero

Why yes there is. Thanks for the interest. The car is finished and I have driven it to a few events. I think it turned out very well. Apparently Street Rodder magazine likes it too. There is a feature on the car in this months Magazine.

Mike

23. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

The finish pictures......please.

24. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I wanna see as well. Very interested.

25. Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    brEad likes this.
  26. banjorear

banjorear

I'm 100% for a brush job. Great work!

Isn't there a type of paint (I forget what it's called at the moment), but is recommended for doors and other noticeable areas. It is supposed to dry real flat and without brush strokes.

27. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Just looked at the link. Great job overall. The color isn't my favorite, but it fits. Thanks for the thread. Drive and enjoy!

28. El Bombero

El Bombero

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to sell it. I need to continue to finance the house remodel. 1931-ford-model-a-driver-side.jpg

desertdroog likes this.
  29. I was curious as well as I'm planning on a brush job and yours looks good in photo's however I need to see a couple in person.