Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do Excelsior tires add value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rottenleonard, Mar 8, 2013.

?
  1. No doesn't add value to me

42 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. Hell yes

15 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

I think the correct size has more to do with sale-ability not brand or type really. If the new owner wants bias-ply Firestones or B.F.G T/A's that will be his concern. Good luck with the new venture anyway.

Scotty

2. I think it is foolish to get into which tire is safer or better arguement. The question asked was not which is the better of the two tires just if the difference in overall value of the car justifies the added cost of one tire over the other.

ha you fellas just almost sucked me into your drama fest.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  3. 35chevycoupe

35chevycoupe
    from Visalia CA

I wouldnt be worried about tires when you go to sell the car. I would be looking at alot of other things first, Like the motor, paint color, ride height, ect Those are the things that a buyer is going look at and decide if thats what he wants.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The guys on here who actually do build cars on speculation to sell will tell you that a lot of potential buyers may baulk at some of the extra things that add to the cost but that they might want to change. I'd go with your original concept of building it with bias tires and then use simple wheels with them, probably steelies and caps. Then you have a bargaining chip. Excelsiors offered as an upgrade is something that you can offer and discounting the price of the bias tires and wheels for the bring his own wheels and tires guy who doesn't like what you put on it.

On the build to sell concept I've thought about building one or more Chevy AD trucks to sell for quite a while and the only I can see that I can make money at it is by keeping the very simple and not adding a lot of extras. Nice but single color paint, Painted rims, simple but nice interior, No bling on the engine and no expensive sound system. That way it's a blank canvas for the guy who buys it to dress up the way he wants it and he doesn't see extra cost items that he doesn't want.

5. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I think there is some really good advise on here, Thanks a ton fellas. I think we will run the bias ply tire and offer the radials, to me that seems like the closest to having it both ways. also I can add the extra 500 bucks to the "I didn't think of that fund"

Now anyone know if coker will give tha Aliance discount at the portland swap meet or is that only for mail order?

6. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

If you compare the Excelsior radials to regular Excelsiors I doubt if you'd notice the difference (Visually)

7. You order and pay ahead of time and schedule delivery for the swap meet.

8. Well,I guess the burning question is, "Have you made a decision based on what the has been posted?" :confused: HRP

9. OLLIN

OLLIN

I have a set of 2 new 5.50x16 excelsiors that i was going to run on my 29 roadster,
    I was reading that youre not supposed to mix and match bias and radials, they're mounted but never run. So if the OP or anyone else wants to trade straight across for some similar condition 5.50x16 firestone bias plus or 6.00x16 I'd be interested. Please pm me. Sorry to hijack,

10. OLLIN

OLLIN

That black roadster is tough as hell btw.

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

When you trade your daily ride in for a new car, any new tires you have are not going to get you more on the trade in - tires is tires, they say in the quote. But it will cost you more if you are going to by that very same used car from the dealer. No win? Gary

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While they don't fit the current interpretation of what is traditional, the radials, and the ride quality and control offered by them, will make for a car who's ride will appeal to a broader audience. Unless you are planning on limiting your potential market for the car to just those who will tolerate the ride of a bias-ply tire, on a lightweight, reasonably powerful car, go with the radials. Not everybody is a hardcore rodder, but plenty of people would happily drive the car, if it does not fight them.

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I see the difference. The Excelsiors don't look like bias ply tires to me.

14. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Good advice. Building a good car with quality parts to sell for a profit is nearily impossible. I'm not talking about the drama queen crap you see on TV, I'm talking about a well built car using quality parts.