Register now to get rid of these ads!

I hate clear coat paint!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Mar 8, 2013.

1. I am still working on that 1973 v.w. super bug.Was going to repaint it bur the clear coat was peeling off all over.Trying to sand off just the clear coat but couldnt make a dent in it so i am having to chemicaly strip the whole car. Its going to be warm here this weekend so i am going to move the car outside and coat it with stripper and try hitting it with a high power washer,and hope that works better than scrapping it, so then i can sand it and prime it.Bruce.:cool:

2. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

What brand did you use?

3. indyjps

indyjps

Careful with the chemical stripper, if you power wash it off that shit will be everywhere, kill your grass, track it on your shoes it will ruin carpet, you don't have any pets do you? I understand the frustration, but be cautious and scrape / contain as much of the chemical as possible

4. There are some biodegradable strippers on the market that are non toxic that my be a better alternative.

BTW,if I were you I would re-frame from posting the off topic car,just a heads up.HRP

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

5. vanherrb

vanherrb

f.y.i. the hardener used causes throat cancer if not using air supply mask.

speaking from personal experience after 25---- 2 stage paint jobs.
    i beat it...and now all i can do is roller paint jobs,rustoleum or alkyd enamal,,,and no one can tell unless you tell them to get closer and look harder.
    plus, satin paint look is my fave for original hotrod look ,instant patina..
    i would rather put my money in performance options than fingernail polish:)lol

6. Bart78

Bart78

Just wash it out in the street. By the time it gets anywhere it will be gone. For all the waste water licenses I have that go with the other crap for running a landfill. You would be amazed at how much uv rays will degrade chronicles and kill bacteria and other stuff. The tree huggers don't want people to know that.

7. Lots a luck with that,My pal Doug was rinsing out his spray gun with lacquer thinner and dumped it in the gravel beside his shop,,not the first time but a woman at the beauty shop across the street reported him to the county.

The next day hazmat showed up with a axe to grind,,the let him off with a 2,500 fine,,made him dig the gravel and dirt up in the specified area,,came back with a sniffer,,made him dig some more.

He was then required to take the contaminated gravel & dirt to a hazardous waste center almost 30 miles away with the approved paper work which cost him another 800.00 bucks to leave it with them.

This all occurred on his own property,,I know Doug still rinses his spray cups with lacquer thinner but you can bet you sweet arse nobody sees where he dumps it. HRP

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Holy Crap! Just letting your car wash water get to the street is a fine in Phoenix! I can't imagine if it had ANY trace of chemicals in it!

9. Bart78

Bart78

Glad the tree huggers have not made it to Texas.

10. In shops if we get a peeler, it is common to take a straight through blower
    on an airline and try and blow as much off as possible.
    If you haven't already tried that, give it a shot.

11. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Seriously? That's crazy.

12. Thank God for that.....They dont ever stop and think of all the cows,horses and other animals pissing on the ground....and anyway,by the time it all reaches the watershed..it is fully filtered..

13. Chemical stripping isn't going to be as easy as you may believe. There isn't any way to remove paint that is "easy". Each method has it's own issues. That car is pretty small, sanding it with a DA sander wouldn't be that bad. Just get lots of paper, a dust mask, and ear protectors and plan on spending as long as it takes.

~Alden

14. bondolero

bondolero

In my stripping experience, with a car the size of a vw, you can orbital strip it faster than having to clean up after aircraft stripper. Also if one small bit of stripper oozes into a seam it will not wash out and will cause lift problems. Just my two pesos.

15. I guess you never heard of rinsing with TSP??? it will nutrulize the stripper

16. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

i love strippers

17. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

A VW Bug, wouldn't take much time to hand sand it off.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Oh ya! And Me being Me made it soooo much worse on myself when I found about this little gem, 'cause as the "enforcement officer" was trying to explain and write a citation, I just kept squirting him down with the hose and saying "go away commie". He came back about an hour later with police help... This was about ten years ago. Not sure if it's still on the books or not, but it is reason enough to absolutely hate enviromentalists...

19. txturbo

txturbo

Capt. Lee's aircraft stripper is the best I have ever used. Not as messy as the others and it rinses off/neutralizes with water. Hardly any odor, a little thicker than water and clear like water. I can literally rinse the paint off in most cases. You can only order it off the internet though. Its safe on fiberglass and won't harm chrome, glass and other trim parts. It doesn't leave a slimy mess either and won't kill your grass.

20. Weasel

Weasel

21. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

IT doesnt sound like a very good plan to me. you are doing alot more work then needed and your project will most likely overwhelm you and might not get finished. go power wash it and see what blows off that way, and then just da sand the panels that need it and repaint.dont really need to go all the way down to metal...

22. flat-v8

flat-v8

Don't Mess with Texas! OMG, I would be put away if....Nevermind :eek:

23. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

You might try scotch-brite stpipping discs. You can get them from Eastwood they do a good job. I even seen lowes has them for your 41/2" grinder. Eastwood has them in 7" and 41/2" I stripped old epoxy off the roof of my 55 with two discs. Aircraft stripper wouldn't touch it.

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I LOVE THIS!...LOL! Hats off to you, NL. Even if it made the situation worse...I think it was worth it...LOL!!!...omg...lmfao.

25. chasracer54

chasracer54

Oh geez...chemical stripped a bunch of cars, never had any problem with paint lifting either.

First I run a da over the whole thing with about a 150-220 grit, that cuts open the surface. Then I do about an area 1/2 the size of 50's car hood at a time. Plenty of newspapers or pick up the senior papers at the grocery store - handfuls of course. A cheap paint brush to paint the surface and I prefer a plastic putty knife to scrape it off. A lot of strippers rinse with water to neutralize. Once I have it down to bare metal for the most part, I go over it with a cheap lacquer thinner which usually removes any remaining traces of paint. Finally, I give it a nice rub down with metal conditioner to kill any surface rust. Most of the stripper will dry out on the paper, fold the stuff up and stuff in a black garbage bag - take it to the dump or your trashcan and say goodbye to it. Some decent gloves will help protect you from any chemical burns and of course wear something over your eyes!
    <object style="position:absolute;z-index:1000" type="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" width="0" height="0">

</object>

26. Air craft stripper works got but messy.Bruce.

27. Wow glad i live on a mountian top lol.Bruce.

28. Thanks for all the informations guys!Bruce.

29. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

30. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

See what you can do with a razor blade scraper. I'm scraping a car now and having prety good luck taking just the paint off and leaving the primer. The primer should sand easier and I don't plan to take it all off. I should be able to block it down, seal it with epoxy, surfacer, block again and paint.

Blue