Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'll drive that bad boy!

Let me pop a 1:1/18 pill.

2. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

3. I bought this O&R tether car from Roscoe Turner in '57 when he had his souvineer stand at ASCOT. I always thought the O&R design was nicer than the Thimbledrome cars.

[​IMG]

4. ...nice cars boys........

5. sideways27

sideways27

I hope this has not been posted before if so I missed it. I was doing some research regarding Hank Henry and found out that the sprint car he was driving for Leonard Surdam at Ascot in 1968 when he was killed was the HOW Spl Champ car (Kurtis) that was owned by Mary Hulman and driven by Elmer George, it also was driven to second place in the 1953 Indy 500 by Art Cross. In the early 60's it was cut down to become a sprint car with a chevy engine and ran in the CRA for several years.
    My question is what ever happened to this car? Was it restored and if so how was it restored? I would like to see pictures of the restored car if anyone has one.

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah it's been disscused here before and other sites as well. Lot's a speculation on the deal and I don't know if anyone really knows for sure what became of it. Two popular theorys are: 1. It was cut up and buried in the desert never to be seen again 2. It has been restored to the Springfield Welding car Cross drove. :confused:

Attached Files:

7. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Is the Springfield Welding car pictured the same as Basement Bessie, or am I thinking of two different cars?

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Two different cars, Speed. Basement Bessie was built by Ray Nichels and Paul Russo with help from Joe Silnes, I believe. Went on to become the Chapman Spl.

9. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Basement bessie was also owned by Joe Barzda as the California speed and sport 33, and later churchill Harden's 58. It ended life as a sprint car in Pa I believe.

Ugly, ugly, ugly

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Maybe not the prettiest race car ever built, but it can come and live in my garage anytime it wants. :D

Attached Files:

• bb 7.jpg
      bb 7.jpg
      File size:
      341.8 KB
      Views:
  11. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

It's been completely restored to its original configuration and is part of the IMS Museum collection today.

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bessie in Chapman Spl. guise.

Attached Files:

13. racer5c

racer5c

I posted this on the vintage midget thread and got zero replies, does anyone know anything about this Shilala Midget Roadster? A friend is trying to trace it's history

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

14. racer76

racer76

just heard Bud Wachholtz died.....one of the best engine builders in the midwest
    rip Bud

15. sideways27

sideways27

Thank You Rootie, It was a great help and now I can continue my quest for all the info regarding this car. Great car and lots of history.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I've seen photos of either a restoration or a replica of the HOW sprinter somewhere. Maybe in my .jpg files. Have to look.

17. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

18. Driver McWheelman

Driver McWheelman

What an awesome picture! Im Wallys grandson and if you have any more pictures id love to see them. Appreciation for those days of racing is long forgotten in my generation and i love keeping it alive!

19. Driver McWheelman

Driver McWheelman

Here is a shot of my grandad, wally dallenbach sr, i think its at Wall Stadium or New Egypt
    /Users/jrdallenbach/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2012/03/16/20120316-215521/IMG_0205.JPG

20. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Hey Driver, I can't see the pictures (I don't do facebook) post em here. I raced with your grand dad, maybe I can help. Denny Z.

21. racer5c

racer5c

is Colleen your aunt?

22. ohv4d

ohv4d

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  23. sideways27

sideways27

I found this picture of the HOW Sprinter that Joshua Shaw posted on the first page of this site. I could not find any history regarding this pic not sure if it is the origional car or a repro. Still a very nice car. It also tells me that the Springfield Welding Smith SPL. Was not cut down to a sprint car by Mari Hulman. Mari had 3 cars, Champ, Sprint and a Midget. I feel the Champ car was cut down by Lenord Surdam or someone on the west coast. Just my guess.

[​IMG]

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe you're correct. From what little I know, Hulman/E. George had 2 sprint cars. The original a Offy which went on to become the Colvin KEY car. The 2nd a Chevy that went to Foyt/Traco. Near as I can tell the Foyt car was last raced in Minn. and may still be there and the Colvin car is lost in history. That, of course, would mean the one in your pic is a repop but I really don't know, just kinda guessing myself. :confused:

25. Dick L

Dick L

Is this the Foyt car?

Attached Files:

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe it is. Here's another shot I found somewheres on the web. The nose, nerfs, cowl etc. all tell me it is anyway.

Attached Files:

27. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

I was in the presence of that car two weeks ago at Tom Malloy Motorsports in Corona, CA. (Circle City)
    The car is in good hands.
    Tom Malloy, AJ and the HOW Spl at The Speedway (photo provided by Josh Shaw)
    [​IMG]
    Now that Tom has a facility in Lebanon, IN I expect more than a few of his collection will be spending time in the Midwest.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jtSHTPOBlc

Here is a wonderful you tube video I just ran across of an IMCA Oldtimers meet at the Washington County Fairgrounds at Lake Elmo Minnesota in the late 80's, probably 1988, wooden fence and all.

Easily recognized midgets are the #29 Willys of Tom Barclay from Kansas, #7 Kurtis Offy of Al Swenson from Chicago, #2 Black Duece once campaigned by Billy Hoff with an Offy later a V8-60 and here with a Triumph in it's later life and driven by Rex McBeth.

The big cars include the Vic Sala Fronty #7 from California, the #13 ex Kenny Larson Fronty from North Dakota, the #22 Ranger of Gene Cunningham from Des Moines and the #91 Wyandotte Tool Champ car of Cy Kubista with a Lincoln heart transplant. The #6 sprinter I am spacing on at this time.

TQ's of Roger Block and Dennis Wright are also pictured.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  29. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks.
    Made my day.

30. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Rootie, there were 3 HOW sprint cars. I remember wayne weiler and Roger McClusky driving a 21 and a 12 at Reading,Langhorne in 1960 (Elmer was banned), both offices. The next year one of the cars had a chevy with Cotton Farmer driving the 12 a reverse black/white color scheme. Both of those sold, one became the KEY car. Elmer then came back with the car Foyt owned. This was 1962.