Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blower carb power valve help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GEORGE TAYLOR, Aug 2, 2011.

1. GEORGE TAYLOR

GEORGE TAYLOR
    from MAINE

hey geo.

I FOUND MY VAC. WAS ACUALLY HIGHER THAN I THOUGHT (ABOUT 10 AT IDLE) I PUT IN THE 6.5 VALVES AND MADE SURE THEY WERE INDEXED

AS IT TURNED OUT THE ANGLIA (AS DE-TUNED AS I COULD GET IT) WAS TO MUCH FOR THE STREET (AND NEIHBORS)

THE ANGLIA IS NOW STRICKLY A DRAG CAR

MORE THAN LIKLY YOU HAVE A BUNCH OF LITTLE PROBLEMS

I AM NO EXPERT BUT THESE ARE THE THINGS I DID TO MAKE MINE RUN GOOD.

-MAKE 100% YOU HAVE NO VAC LEAKS
    - RECOMEND LOCKING OUT THE TIMING (MINE IS AT 28DEGREES
    - MAKE SURE CARBS ARE THE KIND THAT HAVE AN INDEXING PORT AND INDEX THEM
    (IN ADDITION MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE A DIST W/ VAC. ADVANCE
    - SET ALL FLOAT LEVELS WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING
    - MAKE SURE FUEL PRESURE IS NOT TOO HIGH (I RUN 8-9 PSI)
    - MAKE SURE PLUGS ARE CORRECT RANGE (I LUCKED OUT WITH A RECOMENDATION FROM EDELBROCK, I HAVE EBROC. HEADS
    - DO YOU HAVE THE CORRECT CAM FOR A BLOWER MOTOR
    - IS YOUR COMP RATIO CORRECT (8-8.5 TO 1)
    - ARE YOU UNDERDRIVING THE BLOWER BY 10%ISH (AT BEST ALL YOU CAN RUN ON PUMP GAS)
    - WHAT STALL SPEED CONVERTOR ARE YOU RUNNING
    (STOCK STALL SPEED COULD BE A PROBLEM)

AGAIN I AM NO EXPERT BUT THESE ARE THE THINGS I LEARNED

2. abone1930

abone1930

Haven't driven that much , just short bursts :)

427, Aries blower pistons(8:5to1), scat rods, steel crank , Merlin rect. Port open chamber heads, comp cam, hydraulic non roller,
    Duration= 284/305
    Lift= 575/595 Prt# nx284h
    Th350= TCI nitrous converter 8" (3500-4500 stall) mine stalls in the car on foot at 3000, 389 gears
    Running magneto, I not sure on timming , set it to where it starts easy when hot , and cold, takes all gas I give it, just runs rich idling
    6lbs boost

3. abone1930

abone1930

What heat range plug you running?

4. GEORGE TAYLOR

GEORGE TAYLOR
    from MAINE

again, not an expert....

at face value of what you said i think you need to get some more knowledge of engine tuning.
    not knowing what advance you are running both static and full advance (and curve if not locked out) is a no-no

i would be suspect of the mag and its set-up for a street rod.
    what size is blower? 6.71 or 8.71?

are you running it under driven? (pully sizes will determain)

seems to me cam is not enough for the blower and heads you have
    i believe a blower cam should have (what i believe is ) a split overlap
    on the duration. i believe that helps clear the cyls. after a power stroke has taken place (posibly with your cam that there is too much unburned fuel left over causing the load up)

my can is a comp cam (again) matched for the heads, blower, intake and carb size)
    int. duration 300, exh. duration 308 with a 652 lift

my blower is an 971 bds, the heads are ebroc 24 degree 119 cc open chamber (made for blown applications)

i would check the compatabillity of your componants to make sure they are a good match for a blower motor

if you want to chat 207.252.3744 geo.

5. abone1930

abone1930

No expert for sure:)
    Ronco mag is locked out at 7 deg. Adv.
    No advance built in, the cam and the carbs are components built with a blower in mind. Running a crank hub . Need to put some tape on the husband make a timming marker for the Weiand timming cover. Plugs are black, can't be running too bad. If I remember the pulley sizes I think I am 6% under driven .i have to go look at chart again. Thanks for the help though, gonna just try bumping the primary jets to 74,s then open up the idel mixtures screws to let more air in
    Thanks again

6. oj

oj

Idle mixture screws let more fuel in. Seat them and back out about 5/8 to 3/4 turn. Plugs should not be black. What is your idle rpm? Changing jets will have no effect on idle richness.

7. abone1930

abone1930

On the idle , can't tell ya, do not have my mechanical tach hooked up yet. I thinking around 800 on the idle. Will post a video soon as I get the chance.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  8. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

abone 1930;

mag locked out at 7? That won't work. You mean initial at 7 right? You want between 24-34 total if locked out, typically. But iin my experience, idle speed may be unstreetable without a curve in the mag.

9. abone1930

abone1930

10. abone1930

abone1930

It has 7 deg. Advanced built into mag, so then I need to set timming around 25 deg advanced?

11. F%&*&^#$%*ck, I'm getting a head ache. Throw those carbs away and bolt on a set of Hilborns, problem resolved............ :)

12. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

So you're saying it has 7 degrees of centrifugal in the mag, by way of weights and springs? Then start with about 20-23 degrees initial (at balancer, with timing light.) Look very closely at plugs for tiny balls of melted metal on plug porcelain, or missing strap material. If none, advance timing a degree at a time, test drive it hard, check plugs and keep going up up to about 27 degrees initial max. At some point it will get hard to start as you run that much initial timing. 7 plus 27 = 34 degrees total. Thats as far as I'd go with this set up.

13. abone1930

abone1930

Thanks for all the ideals everyone :)
    Instead of boost referenced power valves , does any blower guys out there just delete the power valves, run a plug and bump the primary jets up?

14. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Yes, my current blower motor is that way. Less street friendly, more racy. Runs lean up a hill, rich down a hill, on a/f monitor.

15. 7 at distributor is 14 at crank!

16. 34hemipu

34hemipu

My blown big block Anglia had a rolling Idle where the rpm would roll up and down a couple hundred , I put A/F sensors in and found Idle A/f was around 9.8 to 10.5 to 1 . I could lean out the carbs (idle screws ) to 13.5 -13.8 and the roll stopped . I ran 84 jets with 2.5 power valves . The carbs where 780 vac secondaries on 454 , 6-71 , Mag @ 30 deg not locked out . Comp blower cam 7.5 compress . 2800 converter 3.55 gears , very streetable . I ended up riching up the system abit just on the idle screws so it would sound alittle more racey.
    Mike

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

With an 8-71 and two 750s on a BB chevy, I'd be more concerned with making enough vacuum at high rpm WOT to pull them closed, with catastrophic results. This is one of the few cases where I would probably plug them and go up on the mains.