Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flying Eyeball Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scwgrace, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Here is something new on the flying eyeball story. It is true, Von Dutch popularized it but never claimed to have invented it. The symbol was in fact, used by the ancient Egyptians and Babylonians, many examples of their art are in museums to this day.

In a new book on the sun, an astronomer has a new angle on the flying eyeball. He says it originated as a symbol of an eclipse. If you watch an eclipse of the sun, when the sun disappears behind the moon you will see flares of light from the sides of the moon. He believes the flying eyeball symbol came from a depiction of an eclipse that later became a winged sun, then the winged eyeball.

2. R&C, Oct. 2005, Book review:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Dean Jeffries says Howard used to paint a third eyeball on his forehead (see pic above) and it gave him an idea. He (Jeffries) designed a logo with an eyeball and wings and trademarked it. He says Kenny kept on using it and he (in true Jeffries style) never made a big deal out of it. He still owns the rights and says someone else is making big dollars on it today. Don't kill the messenger here, buy Jeffries' book.

4. grazy

grazy

None of the kids that wear Hollister shirts know anything about story of Hollister its the same way.

5. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

No matter what it is, once anyone can have it how special can it be? How cool? Not at all in my opinion.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ancient Egyptian symbol

Attached Files:

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

8. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I heard "Inna Gadda Divida" on the elevator the other day.

pecker head likes this.
  9. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

Correct answer! I talked to him today and saw the original flying eyeball drawing with a date from 1950 on it. Dean is the real deal. :D

10. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

When my daughter was about 2-3 years old, my wife came home with a cute pink and white t-shirt for her with the Von Dutch logo on it. I said cool! you bought her a 'girlie" car shirt. My wife say's I didn't mean too, I just bought it because it was cute, and on clearance! I then told her the story of Von Dutch and the way his name has been used in such a dumb way. Really glad to see the idiot that was making the clothes has moved on to other things.....

11. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Was it the "long" version? :)

My parents are products of the 60's. I could always tell as a kid when my Dad was feeling nostagic for is youth, as I would come in, and He had his "Iron Butterfly" album on, and was just staring into space.

pecker head likes this.
  12. :D:D:D:D Now I would buy this Barbie :D:D:D:D!!!

13. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362754542.667696.jpg
    Acid trip or Egyptian history. I don't care, I love the looks. Here's mine on the "O" in Chevrolet on my tailgate.

14. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

Is it easy to get a Tatto0 removed ? lol

Attached Files:

15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

There was a pinstriper in Alanta Ga. I know that used a tire with eyeball in it,his art name was "The Wheel" this was late 50's early 60's.
    Time has made way bigger things out of our kind of commen stuff over the years,some got well known,others you look at every day and some don't see.
    So we'er talking about just some art style vs flying eye over all.

Attached Files: