Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jim Oddy's Austin is Alive and Angry !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, May 16, 2012.

1. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

As seen in National Dragster Insider

http://www.nhra.com/blog/dragster-insider/

Jim Lagler: “I had an older (by nine years) brother who was into cars big time. He went to races with his friends on Labor Day in 1963 or 1964 and came back with great stories. I begged to go the following year, and he said if I had 100 bucks for a week’s expenses, I could go. I worked at odd jobs and my paper route all summer and saved the money. That year, I got to go with him and his friend who had a race car. The races: the U.S. Nationals. The car: Jim Oddy's AA/GS Austin. I did a good enough job as a gofer that Jim told me I could go to the races anytime with him when we got home. The next five years were great. I got to travel all over the Northeast in the thick of the Gasser Wars against ‘Ohio George,’ the Hill brothers, Jack Merkel, Jr. Thompson, and K.S. Pittman to name a few. I even got to rub shoulders with ‘Jungle Jim,' the Chi-Town Hustler team, and other early Funny Car greats when we were booked into eight-car match race shows. Pretty heady stuff for a 15-year-old kid.
    “I was still with Jim when he graduated to BB/FC. Then college called, and it came to an end. I still followed Jim's great career in Pro Mod but now from a distance. A lot of these memories just recently came rushing back when I got to see the excellent restoration of the Austin by John Cassiol of Buffalo, N.Y. I still get my yearly dose of nitro by attending the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green, Ky., every year since its inception."

[​IMG]

2. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

John,
    Received the new Rodders Journal today and the article on your Austin is great, congrats!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  3. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

great car, great resto! thanks for doing it!

4. BSL409

BSL409

Great resto
    & Very Cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Got Our Rodder's Journal in the mail over the weekend. Great Article Johnny!

6. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Thanks Steve & the rest of you guys !!

Trouble

7. kennkat

kennkat

Ooohh Yeaaa!! Bad Ass!

8. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I got my Rodders Journal a couple days ago and was blown away by the killer story and 16 page feature story, yes 16 pages! Very deserving to a great friend and a drop dead perfect Austin! John, I am very, very happy for you! Nice advatar......LOL!

Dave.

9. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Thanks for the kind words Dave & thanks for all your help over the 11 years with parts & all glad you like the story & photos !!

Trouble

10. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Ditto what Dave said for me too John. I love the editorial Steve wrote about the trip up and photo shoot. Real high caliber mag.

11. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Hope to see the Oddy Austin run at the Hot Rod Reunion At New England Dragway Sept of 2013.

12. BSL409

BSL409

this was on another thread<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    [​IMG]

13. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

14. I made it easier for them Trouble..................

15. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Sounds really great and nice to see the car restored.

What is the name and brand of paint that was used to recreate that beautiful blue color?

Thanks Jimbo

16. carshopowner

carshopowner

Gassers.

There is a new forum that has a section dedicated to gassers.

http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php?board=11.0

Spud Miller of Fuel Injection Enterprises and Keith Burgan (Roo Man) of Roo Man Motor Sports have collaborated to put up a new Forum with the purpose of providing a place for people who enjoy Front Engine Dragsters, Altereds, Gassers, Rear Engine Dragsters, Dragracing to communicate.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    The forum has JUST gone live and can be viewed at this link http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php or by going to Spud’s site http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/ and using the navigation panel on the left side to go to the forum.

Take a look and if interested join, it’s free.

17. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

We are very proud to have such an important car be part of our show,
    Buffalo Motorama.I remember seeing it run at Niagara Dragstrip when I was a young punk.Come on out and see a Great piece of History!!!

18. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

19. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

2013 Buffalo Motorama poster look for the Oddy Austin in the
    Summit Motorsports Park display

Attached Files:

20. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

21. It's only rock'n'roll.. but I like it!

22. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Also on display with the Oddy Austin this weekend are 2 of the 60 recently found Jim Oddy trophy's in the attic of Jimmys old shop by his son Dave Oddy among them

1967 N.a.s.c.a.r Nationals
    1969 Can- Am Thrush Award From July 5th 1969 from Cayuga Raceway

they will be on display with the Oddy Austin this weekend at the Buffalo Motorama

Attached Files:

23. Congrats on the coverage of the Oddy Austin in the new Rodders Journal!!!!!

You have done an eccelent job of bring this car back. I know the coverage is morer towards Ron Girstners work but the car is in the Mag.

24. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Thank you JR Black is Ron Gerstner is one of the best around they here very happy to put him in TRJ #58 Thanks for the nice words I will pass them on to Ron

Trouble

Attached Files:

25. Ron lives down the street from my shop. I have been trying to get him to stop by for a while now. I need someone of his expertise in dealing with some issues on my 34.

26. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

That would be the guy you want to talk to :D

27. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Jim Oddy & I had a GREAT time at the 2013 Buffalo Motorama Joe & his whole crew did a geat job, what a turn out the place was packed !! Lots of very cool cars, bikes, people. Put this one down for 2014 well worth it. Have to rest up for a bit & The Oddy Austin off to the next few shows of the real deal tour 2013

Trouble

28. moparron426

moparron426

John, the car looks GREAT from all the pictures I see from the show.
    congrats on doing such a nice job on the car. Ron...:D

29. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Thank you Ron The Buffalo Motorama was a a great turnout Had a good time with Nettie & KJ from Summit Motorsports Park. The Nostalgia AA/Gassers will be there this summer & are looking foward to it

Trouble

Attached Files:

30. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Had the pleasure of helping John put the lift off front end back on the Austin when it started raining at the Niagara Reunion at Lancaster Speedway a year or so ago. Didn't wash my hands for a week. All those memories of watching Oddy and Zakia at Niagara are priceless.

Lee