Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Hey it was a nice day for a drive anyway

2. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

tinmann- Yes, it had that style of front brakes.

Fuzzy- The next time I screw up I'll pick a rainy day.:D

3. That is most killer

4. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Orange urethane bushings?
    Come on now!
    I'm betting the original had black rubber. ;)

[​IMG]

5. If I remember right the orange bushings were used for quite a few years before the black ones were brought out. I guess the rubber ones were first then the orange uratnane and then the black urathane.
    I think they tie it all together.

6. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

2deuces64-
    You are absolutely correct!
    Rick

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Where did you find the orange bushings? They been gone for a long while. I finally had to replace the orange ones with black because the old orange ones finally dried out and started to crack. Took 20 years, guess that says something about reliability.

8. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I still have a package of the orange bushings from 1970's that I have never used. Rick has lots of orange paint so he can paint the black ones.

9. indianhead74

indianhead74

Great car, It deserves to be re-built. Indy

10. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I just finished installing the new front wheel bearings and seals, water pump, emergency brake cable plus some other odds and ends. It will definitely be off jack stands and on halibrand wheels for the first time in 30 years tomorrow.:)

11. bowtie40

bowtie40

Hey Rick, I'm very impressed with the outcome of the build as I know we all are, just a side note, you said that you used to work at G&H auto parts as a kid, well my girlfriend's dad was a machinist there, last name of Leech? bowtie40...

12. Woohoo! thats waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool!

13. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Stopped by P-J last September when returning from G-G Indy. Jason showed me the machine they recently purchased to make bushing in house. He indicated the orange color busing would soon be available!!!

14. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Bowtie40-
    Probably knew him but back in the day we used first names only because they had us wear name tags for the customers.

Right you are Dave. They purchased the urethane business from the man that has made the bushings ever since the beginning. They were still getting them from here all this time. Side note...there is a BMW parts supplier that sells urethane bushings for 2002's in my complex and the other day I saw some some Pete & Jake's boxes there full of bushings. What a small world!

15. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Rick: Looking good.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Remember when the "Microflex" urethane bushings first came out and Pete stuck a set in his dad's dark green '27 roadster? I remember the orange stuck out like a sore thumb!!! Good to see them on here though!

17. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Status Report - 2/8/13

Engine component assembly continues: water pump is installed and checked for belt alignment, intake is back from the machine shop for some minor adjustments, etc. When I stopped by, Rick was tightening all the chassis fasteners, brake lines, etc., and taking care of many other minor but important details. The chassis should be up on wheels by close of business today.

Attached Files:

18. "The chassis should be up on wheels by close of business today"
    cant wait to see that.
    Al.

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Rick.Still following along on the build.Looking sweet.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

20. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I decided to put the headers on tonight and as we all know, having it higher on jack stands makes the job a lot easier. I got one side in. I also have to bleed the brakes and doing that without the wheels on is a lot easier also. I am feeling pretty confident that it will be done for the Hot Rod event but as with all projects there will be some last minute thrashing.

21. jalopy45

jalopy45

Has anyone ever contacted the owner of the multicolored Cuda that was on the same cover of HRM to do a time capsule reshoot with the same participants??? A reunion for NAAB... , :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

patiently waiting...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Pamela578-
    I did reprint those shirts. PM me and I will give you all the information so you can get one.

jalopy45-
    Most cars didn't last 30 years in their original form. I can vouch for that.
    Rick

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

But ya know what? That 'Cuda did! I remember seeing it in Car Craft about five years ago and their mention of it still being in the same condition. Frieberger showed it and the cover with both of your cars, 'cause at the time he had a deuce tudor body and was waffling as to what to do with it...

25. OK OK What is the schedule for tomorrow ??????

26. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Tomorrow I'm going to be out all day chasing parts. My list is a mile long.

27. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I need help again! I took my holley 3310 carb apart and after 30 years, the gaskets are stuck like concrete. Any ideas on how to soften them up to remove them without a wire wheel.

28. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Try soaking them in lacquer thinner. Are they the type that had the glue coating, those are a bitch on a good day. Try one of the small stainless wire brushes after you soak them.

29. Try Brake Cleaner.

30. Soak it in a gallon of gas. When you reassemble the carb spray silicone on the gaskets and you won't have this problem again