Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dry Ice Blasting undercoating off!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by repairmanrod, Mar 6, 2013.

1. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucfGX5xoFbc

This is a short video to show how i removed the undercoating from my 55 Chevy second series pickup. I used a dry ice blaster that uses dry ice pellets as a media. The ice works kind of like sand blasting but wont take off the old paint. This video clip really dont do justice because the stuff i was blasting was minimal. This thing had undercoating 1/4 inch thick in spots and i did the entire bottom of the truck in about an hour and a half. The equipment is expensive to rent and it takes about 200 psi and 375 cfm of air to do this. The company i work for rents them so i was able to use it along with about 250 pounds of dry ice that is about .35 cents per pound.

Rod

2. Kinky6

Kinky6

Neat! Makes it kinda hard to re-use yer blast media, though..... ;)

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

3. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

Ya it sure does (smiling)! I was amazed how well it worked though.

Rod

4. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

You gotta work real fast and sweep em up quick... :D

5. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

They brought a company into my work to do that to one of our machines and it failed these poor bastards had to get in and clean it by hand, the machine is basically a giant wire wheel that cleans burrs off of steering rack bars. While us maintenance guys took the dry ice and placed it in plastic bottles making bombs out of them. Fun stuff glad the people doing your frame knew what they were doing.

6. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

The best part of dry ice blasting for Kalaforina folks is, that you only have to get rid of the hazzardious waste and not the meadia waste.

7. Where can you buy dry ice??

8. 19-c

19-c

Isn't dry ice kinda spendy??

9. Fenders

Fenders

Isn't there a cap and trade for CO2 ? :D

10. Fenders

Fenders

Most ice companies have it... I bought 10 pounds a couple years ago from the ice company up the street (to put in my gas tank before I cut it up).

Also called dry ice
    http://www.lakebooneice.com/products.html

11. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

I think it is generated "on site", from a tank of liquid CO2, which is cheaper than the pre made stuff...............

But I could be mistaken!

12. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

The stuff that our machines use is made at either Airgas or a little place called Reliant Dry Ice. The machines we rent use extruded ice and it comes in a big cooler tote. The ice when it comes out looks kind of like rice but it is extruded kind of like pasta or maybe a meat grinder. The cost around Denver is around .34 cents per pound. This is not really a very cost effective way to remove undercoating but i was able to use the machines from work and a customer brought about 250 punds of ice back with a machine. The ice would have evaporated in a few days so the boss told me i could have it. otherwise to rent one of our machines the cost is like $1100.00 bucks per week. I guess that if you had a bunch of guys that needed one you could rent one for a week and it would cost around $100.00 bucks per car for the ice.

Rod