Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attn. DRAG RACERS: When was your first time and do you still do it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Waddayacare, Mar 6, 2013.

1. How old (young) are you and in what year did you make your first pass down a dragstrip?

What was the first car or bike you ran?

Do you still race?

If so, what's your reaction time?

What transmission (stick, automatic, type)?

Do you use any launch device (tranny brake, 2 step, etc.)

Now I really don't want to see this thread turn into a B.S. or drama thread so please be truthful. Besides there may be other members on here that saw you run. ;) So if you suck, say you suck! There may be other racers on here that could help you out with some advice.

I'm 55 and I took my first pass in 1975 at Lancaster Speedway in Lancaster, NY (Jim Oddy's home track). I took that first pass in my 1965 Pontiac GTO that I owned until 2006. :(

I still race and have had many perfect lights (even though I don't like doing that) and my average reaction time is between .008 and .015 on a full tree. My average times doesn't mean I haven't had any brain farts, hell we all get them every once in awhile

I get these reaction times using a 700R4 automatic with NO launch aids, I foot brake.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

First car I ran was my '93 Mustang in about 2001, spun all the way down the track.

My '31 A coupe cuts a 1.55 60' and has run a best of 12.23 @109 mph.
    Regular ol' hot rod with a pump gas 289, T-5, and a Quick change.

3. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

How old (young) are you and in what year did you make your first pass down a dragstrip?

17, 1995

What was the first car or bike you ran? 1988 Mustang LX

Do you still race? NO

What transmission (stick, automatic, type)? BOTH

Do you use any launch device (tranny brake, 2 step, etc.) BOTH

My last pass down the drag strip was in 09 and have gone as fast as 8.90@150 @2800 lbs with a naturally aspirated 406" windsor/glide combo.

4. Dave1946

Dave1946

My first time was in 1962. I was 15 years old and the vehicle was a Harley Davidson 165 two stroke single cylinder. The time was 24.49 @49.96 mph.
    Believe it or not, this was actually a strip record for the class. Back then all you got on the time slip was ET and mph. I still get to Brainerd once a year and make a few passes.

5. Hey guys I'm looking for "reaction times" not E.T. or 60 foot times.

The reaction time is the time it takes you to take-off once you get the green light.

Thanks guys, keep it coming!

6. Let's see, It was at the Real Irwindale in 1971, I was 15 and lied about my age.

It was a 55 Chevy with a 409

Still race once in a while

These days my reaction times are all over the board, partly due to only racing once in a while and partly due to a short wheelbase car with a 4 speed

Launch devices are for modern shit, not vintage shit :eek:

7. dblgun

dblgun

Some time in the mid 80's at LACR (Palmdale) more than likely in a small block/ auto Vega with a foot brake. Still at it but opportunities are very limited in my neck of the woods. Reaction times are all over the map depends on how much practice I've had recently. If you don't use it you lose it.

8. Goldy

Goldy

First time was in 1960. got my drivers license on Friday - raced on Sunday with a flathead powered 36 Ford. Twenty three cars in my class, I got beat in the final.
    I have been racing ever since. Ran mostly dragsters, Top Fuel in the 70's now running funnycars. They didn't give reaction times then, we started with flags in 1960!!

[​IMG]

9. FEBCO

FEBCO

First time was in 1957 at Old Dominion Speedway in a '57 Chev......Last time was 2012 at the CHRR at Bakersfield in a '33 Willys....Next time will be 2013 at the Gatornationals in Gainesville in the same Willys....I've raced 1,2,3, and 4 speed manuals......2,3,and 4 speed automatics.....reaction times from .004 at NHRR at Bowling Green 2012 ......I've raced just about every type of drag car.......I was 71 in December.....Foot brake....

10. 71! Awesome, good for you and I see that with a .004 you still got it!

Makes ya' feel like a kid doesn't it! (Especially if you just beat a kid ;))

I realize they didn't keep track of reaction times back then but I'm more interested in "today's" reaction times or at least the last time you raced.

Hey Goldy, those Floppers you're running, are they the Nostalgia Funny Car class?

11. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was 68 years old when I started. I still race. I'll be 74 in May. My first car was a '76 AMC Gremlin. I now race a '74 Gremlin with an AMC 360, 727 tranny, and 3:50 8-inch ford. My best reaction time was .0003. My r.t. varies. I use no launch device.

12. Goldy

Goldy

Best light .008 best 60 ft. 108
    I now race Nostalgia Funnycars . When that picture was taken at Atco Raceway in New Jersey, Dave Sano was driving. Dave Milcarek took the photo of the fire burnout. The car was injected then, now it has an 871 blower on it.

13. Goldy

Goldy

By the way, this is a pretty cool thread Waddayacare !!

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1959--Madera drags-flag start--57 Pontiac with tripower and an automatic.A/SA class-17 cars in class--lost in the final run against a 57 J2 Olds-ran it many times after that and won quite a few times at Madera,Raisin City and Half Moon Bay. Haven't run since 92-last was our 55 Chevy with 327 and auto-wife ran it alot--reactions bet .07-.13 usually on a full tree.

15. BobG

BobG

I'm 57 and my first time down the track was at Beardstown IL in a 67 Mustang Fastback with a 390 4 speed.
    I can't remember how fast it went, I think mid 8's (8th mile)

I ran several Dragsters and Funny Cars over the years, my last Funny Car was a Mustang Nostalgia Funny Car (pictured).
    I'm currently building a blown big Chevy tube chassis 66 Nova for Nostalgia Drag Racing.

Attached Files:

16. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

June of 67 Sanford Dragway

Attached Files:

17. gctsvcxq

gctsvcxq
    from new york

I still get to Brainerd once a year and make a few passes.[​IMG]

18. thehazguy

thehazguy

How old (young) are you and in what year did you make your first pass down a dragstrip? I'm 60 first pass 1969

What was the first car or bike you ran? 55 Chevy

Do you still race? Couple times a year

If so, what's your reaction time? Last time out .006 in semi's/fouled in the final

What transmission (stick, automatic, type)? Stick in 1969 Now: automatic

Do you use any launch device (tranny brake, 2 step, etc.) No, footbrake

19. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

I was 21, had a '68 barracuda fastback, built 383, 727 manual shift, It was at Avilla dragstrip before all the idiots moved in around it and bitched about the noise untill they closed it down. miss that place had a lot of fun there

20. How old (young) are you and in what year did you make your first pass down a dragstrip? 16in1989

A 1969 AMX 390 Go Pack w/ 4-speed

Do you still race?
    Occasionally but usually only once or twice a year :(

Bestwas a perfect light, average lately is all over the board due to my inactivity.

What transmission (stick, automatic, type)?
    Both, but lately B & M TH350in my '35 thinking seriously about putting the 4-speed back in it dueto stall issues.

Do you use any launch device (tranny brake, 2 step, etc.)
    No but i have an OT car for sale that does have a 2 step MSD.

21. Thanks Goldy!

This will tell who still can do it, how well they do and whether the vets can show the kids how it's done! ;)

There are other things that can be learned as well from this thread.

22. sdf1965

sdf1965

How old (young) were you and in what year did you make your first pass down a dragstrip? First Pass 1992 at the age of 32, KilKare Dragway, Xenia OH

What was the first car or bike you ran? 1987 Trans-Am Blown Alcohol Funny Car

Do you still race? NO

What transmission (stick, automatic, type)? Lenco Air Shifted 3 Speed

Do you use any launch device (tranny brake, 2 step, etc.) My Foot:D

I loved driving that funny, did so for about 7 years, sold the car with the intention of building another one but never did.:mad:

First pass 14.31 @ really slow, best pass was 6.73 @ 207 MPH.

[​IMG]

23. im 42 first pass was when i was 16 (86) in a friends 74 camaro dead stock 350 2bbl just young kids having fun at edgewaters friday night test and tune

i havent made a pass in over 12 years my reation times were around .8 -.10

all the cars i ran were either stock or mildly built nothing serious

if/ when i get a car together i feel is worth making a pass i will go back

24. It doesn't matter if it's slow or have to be a race car. All that matters is if you had/have fun!

Hell I still remember the car I hated running against the most. It was this freakin' bone stock Pinto! The thing was damn near to the traps before my lights would drop. You either broke out against him or just missed crossing the line before him. Dirty Bastard! :mad: I still hate those cars. :rolleyes:

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It was around 1978 had a 62 chevy 2 327 4 speed .
    Later in around 1987 kaw 750 turbo .
    In the mid 90s a R.E.D. trans brake and 2 step R/T in the .010 to .005
    Now 67 charger foot brake auto R/T in the .010 to .008 dont get to go very often .
    My first race track was KCIR god rest it sole. Ran at MAR god rest its sole
    . Ran at st louis , eddyville and MOKAN.

Hope to get started on a F.E.D soon just something about them got to have one.
    I am going to be 55 this month.

26. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How old (young) were you and in what year did you make your first pass down a dragstrip?
    17 yrs old First pass October 14th,1970 (still have time slips) at NE Dragway

1955 Chevy

Do you still race? 3 or 4 times a year at the local Nostalgia races

.295 to .325 average

What transmission (stick, automatic, type)? Do you use any launch device (tranny brake, 2 step, etc.) My 55 has a 727,Chevy II aTurbo 350. Both have manual shift valve bodies.
    Just Line loc's in both cars. My 49 Olds and 57 Corvette will both have Hurst shifted Muncies :) .

27. My first race on a drag strip was when I was 16 in my new '66 Belvedere I at what I think was called Northstar Drag strip north of Mpls. So nervous about red lighting or missing a shift, could hardly concentrate with the animal in the next lane with open headers and slicks, a '66 SS 396 Chevelle with an old guy in it, he musta been about 30. Light turned green and the fucker about yanked the front wheels off the ground. I had to watch him get small as I struggled with my 2-3 shift.

Raced most my life up until 3 years ago when I sold my 10.90 '57 Chevy back to the guy that owned it in the 70's, it had been a dedicated race car since '65.

28. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

First race was 1962 in a 1940 chev running D gas, time 15.40.
    And yes I still do it,driving the car in my avatar 7.00

29. Nitrobaron

Nitrobaron

How old (young) are you and in what year did you make your first pass down a dragstrip? 1974 I was 16. First Pass at the Old Minnesota Dragways, then Northstar Dragway. Eventually Brainerd International.

What was the first car or bike you ran? 1965 Muastang, 289. My Dad bought the car new in March of 1965 and It became my car in '74 after I made several "modifications" he did not authorize. Said I ruined his car!!!????? Eventually ran 12.90's

Do you still race? Yes, but it has been a couple of years, last trip was at BIR, still have the second 65 Mustang I owned, purchased in 1982 ready to go. Hope to have time next summer.

If so, what's your reaction time? mid teens +/- on a good day, some times sleeping

What transmission (stick, automatic, type)? 4 speeds always, Ford toploaders

Do you use any launch device (tranny brake, 2 step, etc.) Left Foot only, never any electronics. Line lock just to keep it from rolling in the lights.

30. Good post thanks! I can't add much. First time was I was in my late 40's I'm 55 now. I don't remember how bad, but I sucked!:D 74 Ranchero GT:rolleyes:
    I ran my Stude pick up a few times, again nothing exciting to most of you. But one of the biggest thrills was taking my dad for a few 12.75 runs @113 in my o/t car he was 74 at that time. He loved it! I won my class a few weeks later with a friends 12 year old riding along. I haven't raced since, but the new wife has never even seen a drag race..........might be time again real soon!