Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Dreaded MII questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, Mar 6, 2013.

1. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

When I first put the Mustang II under my 39 Coupe in the early 80's I used the mustang rotors, and calipers. Sometime in the early 90's I put Granada rotors, and metric GM calipers on it, and you can notice the difference in the stopping power. The 42 Chevy I am building for my daughter will get the upgrade when it is buit

2. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

"Speedway offers metric calipers with oversized pistons that improve the clamping power of the caliper. Might be worth considering since they are a "bolt on" to the various kit bracket"

The circle track guys use the larger piston metric caliper

3. bowtie40

bowtie40

I hope your not including the seasoned builder in your warning, I have installed Must II x members in two of my builds dating back to 1981, when you couldn't buy a store bought item. both of these cars have spent plenty of track time, with trap speeds approaching 120mph. I happen to own one of these cars at the present. I would think that the many of fellow builder are of the same opinion. I would also like to add that I added 11" brakes on both cars. I just spent some time at the local brake supply house armed with my vernier calipers, and found the bearings and rotors that would work, and built the rest. All you crafty guys don't need Mastercard!... bowtie40

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just a last shot on this deal too, just as above my avatar uses a stock crossmembered Pinto front end and has aproximately 200,000 miles under it's belt. I much prefer the stock crossmember over almost any kit, other than a couple of folks that make them that I know and trust. Fat Man would NEVER be one of them. My car has an ultimate top speed of 142 (ya, been there a few times) has been raced and driven mercilessly for almost twenty years now. As i said earlier, do the larger brake deal, it's worth it. If you feel youn need more, re read ElPolacko's post a second time. Remember those "couple of folks that I know and trust" comment above... There is one of them.